2019 Oscar Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I got it wrong. It was actually snowing when he left, but the reason he's called Rainman is because his name is Raymond, and little Cruise called him Rainman instead. Raymond was good to little Cruise and he used to sing to him. Cruise remembers someone from his childhood that used to sing to him, but didn't remember it was his brother. He grew up and forgot he even had a brother.

Man it's been decades since I saw that movie. All I remember is the cool song with the Lamborghinis at the beginning and Dustin Hoffman freaking out when Tom Cruise tried to put him on a plane. Why was he even called "Rain Man" again?

Cruise’s character used to call him ‘Rain Man’ when he was young, which was a mispronunciation of his name ‘Raymond’

Spoilers :lol

I love that movie to this day though I haven’t seen it in at least 10 years. So much heart.

It’s when Zimmer started making his mark too

Remember when The Hurt Locker beat Avatar for Best Movie of that Year?
Remember American Beauty beating The Matrix?
Remember when The Kings Speech beat Inception?
Remember when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan?
Remember when Dances with Wolves beat Goodfellas?
Remember when Annie Hall beat Star Wars and Close Encounters?

How could American Beauty "beat" The Matrix for best picture when The Matrix was not even nominated for best picture...?

No, I got it wrong. It was actually snowing when he left, but the reason he's called Rainman is because his name is Raymond, and little Cruise called him Rainman instead. Raymond was good to little Cruise and he used to sing to him. Cruise remembers someone from his childhood that used to sing to him, but didn't remember it was his brother. He grew up and forgot he even had a brother.

Rainman 'burned baby' too... the hot water in the tub, remember? Rainman freaks out from hot water in the tub and its then that Cruise rediscovers that Raymond is his childhood friend 'Rainman' who was taken away from him because autistic Raymond nearly put young Cruise into a boiling bath. Hot water burns baby.

It is a great buddy-buddy movie, and definitely one of Tom's best performances. That's back when he was still acting.

Rainman 'burned baby' too... the hot water in the tub, remember? Rainman freaks out from hot water in the tub and its then that Cruise rediscovers that Raymond is his childhood friend 'Rainman' who was taken away from him because autistic Raymond nearly put young Cruise into a boiling bath. Hot water burns baby.

It is a great buddy-buddy movie, and definitely one of Tom's best performances. That's back when he was still acting.

It was good casting. I can see Cruise being related to Hoffman. The Italian girl was cute too. I like the film, but the ending makes me sad. :(

You guys are missing the point. Hollywood's BEST picture doesn't mean "best" as in genuinely the best made movie, it means the movie that is the "best for the audience". It's like medicine.

There was a time when being taken seriously in Hollywood required you to do either an Auschwitz movie or a gay role. Those were guaranteed winners. A movie about gays surviving Auschwitz would be a juggernaut. Nowadays, its all about females and diversity. Truth is, it tells you who is the ruling power in Hollywood by what is considered the "important" films.

According to industry insiders, the Academy has phases where they're into different stuff. In the '70s it was all about crime films. '80s, exotic pictures. For the last several years, the Oscars have been partial to independent/arthouse films. Seems like they're now going back to popular films, perhaps in an attempt to recoup lost viewers.

I'd say you just answered your own question, lol.

Is that kind of like the time Heath Ledger "beat" my cousin to getting cast to play the Joker...my cousin had a great Joker chaacterization in mind from his apartment in Boise.

Back