1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things I’ve gleaned from this thread:

1. At least people aren’t fighting over TLJ anymore.

2. Whenever people claim to just want to have a discussion or to want to spark a conversation, they always seem to do it in the most offensive way possible.

Good points made. I say we talk about something less controversial like the soon to be released Jedi Master Rose Tico figure.

Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film.

Good points made. I say we talk about something less controversial like the soon to be released Jedi Master Rose Tico figure.

Okay.....now a line has been well and truly crossed! ;)

f7607334161a6584fecdb6b1cd7024b9.jpg

Censored for the kids.

Two things I’ve gleaned from this thread:

1. At least people aren’t fighting over TLJ anymore.

2. Whenever people claim to just want to have a discussion or to want to spark a conversation, they always seem to do it in the most offensive way possible.

I honestly believe they're going back to the Jedi Luke well because the ST has left them and their retailers with so much unsold stock and poor options for new figures. They didn't even put a single Poe Dameron figure from either movie or Finn from the new one up for preorder, meanwhile Infinity War is getting like 50 releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s one thing that I don’t understand. Why keep doing these deluxe and standard versions in unison, when stores and shops are having trouble pushing Star Wars figures right now? The fatigue and general disgust in some respects... it isn’t necessarily promoting healthy sales. Sure, some figures are going to do well, but Hot Toys is definitely overreaching. Is OT stuff immune to the stagnation?

That’s one thing that I don’t understand. Why keep doing these deluxe and standard versions in unison, when stores and shops are having trouble pushing Star Wars figures right now? The fatigue and general disgust in some respects... it isn’t necessarily promoting healthy sales. Sure, some figures are going to do well, but Hot Toys is definitely overreaching. Is OT stuff immune to the stagnation?

No ask 1985 how it feels about SW fatigue.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Okie...I think both sides of the pro/con arguments have spoken, and have said all that can possibly be said. Instead of picking which side is wrong or right, anyone interested in just talking about the figure, lol?

I said it before, ROTJ Luke was MY Luke growing up, so I am not going to be upset about another release, and one with some cool options to boot (the weathered hilt that was predominantly used throughout the film, the sandstorm gear, and of course the Endor stuff). I'm happy about this, as I initially had the SS deluxe ordered for my Endor version, but cancelled that (and ate the pre-order fee) because as much as I wanted a separate Endor Luke, I couldn't convince myself to come anywhere near close to even "tolerating" the SS Luke/Matt Damon Endor figure, yet alone like it. So for me, I had planned on having a separate Luke figure inevitability anyway, and if for $40 more, I get the bonus outfit, hilt, hair, and a secondary headsculpt, I'm all for it. Hell, I paid a ridiculous amount for a custom headsculpt for Kylo Ren, and then paid a ton more to have it painted and shipped back and forth from the UK. So all in all, I'm happy with this deluxe figure. Am I rich or stupid with my money? No, not really. But I'm also a (sort of) adult who has worked hard enough in my life that if I want to splurge on something for myself, I feel I can do so guilt free. That doesn't mean my take on this should be agreed with by everyone, or should be discounted by everyone, it just is what it is. So all in all, I can't wait to get this. It will probably also convince me to pick up Endor Leia when she comes out, because she will pair nicely with this, and I have had no interest in any other Leia, nor do I feel anyone who has picked up an existing Leia is wrong and they shouldn't have made those figures. It's all personal preference :)

Why not just sell an accessory pack? Have one figure release for this Endor version and then have an optional accessory pack that you could bundle with it? Think outside the box. Oh wait... Hot Toys doesn’t do that anymore.

If they do that someone cut from the same mold as you would complain and say all of the accessories should be included in the figure.

If they do that someone cut from the same mold as you would complain and say all of the accessories should be included in the figure.

I don't think anyone would complain about an accessory pack since it would be for items not included in the main release. The first release was on the cheaper side for HT at $230 and I do recognize that, but part of that consideration is that everyone knows they were going to sell a **** ton of Jedi Lukes. We got a slight discount instead of a $250 figure for that. I'd gladly pay $120 or something around there for an accessory pack that has the Endor items and extra head. For me to have to buy the deluxe and then sell off everything I don't need is a pain. I know I'd probably end up spending less than $120 for the parts I want, but doesn't make it the best option for customers.

HT can do whatever they want, they have a literal stranglehold on the market for top 1/6 figures/licenses and they know it. It doesn't mean I have to sit here and be happy they're gifting me with another Jedi Luke release with 90% of the stuff that was in the last release.

I honestly believe they're going back to the Jedi Luke well because the ST has left them and their retailers with so much unsold stock and poor options for new figures. They didn't even put a single Poe Dameron figure from either movie or Finn from the new one up for preorder, meanwhile Infinity War is getting like 50 releases.

They could/should release the Sandtrooper and the Death Star Trooper that were teased and then forgotten about!

Enough people have clamoured for Baze and the Tank Trooper from Rogue One. I REALLY want that Baze!!!

The Gonk Droid would sell well too.

They are sitting on enough none ST stuff that would be welcomed with open arms.

No they wouldn’t. Not if you could bundle the accessory pack with the purchase of the Endor figure. Unless, of course, they decide to chuck a $200 price tag onto it.

That way, people that already have the previous version could get the accessory pack, if they didn’t want to buy another Luke for his Endor gear. If you wanted the Endor Luke, then you could pick up the pack to go along with it. It’s a better option than having a standard version and a deluxe release, as well as the previous set.

Merchants wouldn’t have to worry about unloading two more ROTJ Luke figures from their stock and there would be less of the base figure and packaging floating around. It would cut out the need for that third figure entirely, yet still keep “options” open.

But go ahead, defend the opportunistic business models Hot Toys continues to push.

You can cut out the sly jabs though. It’s not “mature.”

I don't think anyone would complain about an accessory pack since it would be for items not included in the main release. The first release was on the cheaper side for HT at $230 and I do recognize that, but part of that consideration is that everyone knows they were going to sell a **** ton of Jedi Lukes. We got a slight discount instead of a $250 figure for that. I'd gladly pay $120 or something around there for an accessory pack that has the Endor items and extra head. For me to have to buy the deluxe and then sell off everything I don't need is a pain. I know I'd probably end up spending less than $120 for the parts I want, but doesn't make it the best option for customers.

HT can do whatever they want, they have a literal stranglehold on the market for top 1/6 figures/licenses and they know it. It doesn't mean I have to sit here and be happy they're gifting me with another Jedi Luke release with 90% of the stuff that was in the last release.
Other companies are improving though, while Hot Toys sits atop the mountain and rehashes figures and makes little effort to evolve their craft or business practices. Sure, they’re the go-to for 1/6 figures, but they’re becoming complacent.

It’s possible that we could see other companies become heavy hitters in a few short years. It definitely won’t be Star Ace though. Enterbay needs to re-enter the fray.

This statement is factual. Other than that, I'm not sure what is being implied here.
That things are different. What was relevant in 1985 might not be so relevant now. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, that was in response to Xipotec.

This statement is factual. Other than that, I'm not sure what is being implied here.

ROTFL.....it was in response to the statement that OT collectables demand would not decline...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

They could/should release the Sandtrooper and the Death Star Trooper that were teased and then forgotten about!

Enough people have clamoured for Baze and the Tank Trooper from Rogue One. I REALLY want that Baze!!!

The Gonk Droid would sell well too.

They are sitting on enough none ST stuff that would be welcomed with open arms.
I’m not sure we will ever see a Baze or Krennic. Or Qi’ra and young Lando.

And it will never happen, but it would be neat to see some Old Republic figures—Starkiller even.

I have nearly two detolfs of HT figures in them. The scores are in my playlists. I love Lego ships. I wave my hand at supermarket sliding doors when no one is looking. I genuinely love Star Wars.

90% of the time I don't tell people I like it. Why?

I tend to abhor Star Wars fans. They are entitled and so caustic at times. They're up there with Dr. Who fans and religious fundamentalists as some of the most difficult people to interact with. And people know that.

HT didn't release this set to personally offend your ancestors. No one is entitled to a deluxe Luke because they saw the films the opening week back in the day. Do people get mad that less than a year later there's a "better" version of your now phone on the market? Or that there's a new model of the car you just bought with added features? HT is a business just as Ford or Samsung.

I'd call anti-consumer if this was released days after the PO for the original ROTJ Luke went up, or if the second this hit US shores and the world had access to the figure that they'd put this up. But pushing a year later?

Furthermore, we all knew this was coming. From day one that Endor Luke was displayed at conventions, we knew it was on the list. It is a 4 part different figure to an existingly tooled HT piece; at worst it would have been a con exclusive. The deleted scene stuff is the surprise, if anything.

DioramaMaker;9960816. said:
Do people get mad that less than a year later there's a "better" version of your now phone on the market? Or that there's a new model of the car you just bought with added features? HT is a business just as Ford or Samsung.

I'd call anti-consumer if this was released days after the PO for the original ROTJ Luke went up, or if the second this hit US shores and the world had access to the figure that they'd put this up. But pushing a year later?

Furthermore, we all knew this was coming. From day one that Endor Luke was displayed at conventions, we knew it was on the list.

Usually when people buy phones of current generation they fully expect there will be better one down the road and the companies make clear of that same goes with automobiles. No ones mad at single release of Endor figure, it is the deluxe version that's the cause.

I’m not sure we will ever see a Baze or Krennic. Or Qi’ra and young Lando.

And it will never happen, but it would be neat to see some Old Republic figures—Starkiller even.

Yeah, I think Rouge One is done, Krennic would have been a good release.

Back