Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why George Lucas is such a galactic *********. Just release HD copies of the original films trying to present them as originally shown.

A fan edit which is known to manipulate the colour of the original is great in terms of us simply watching the film, but really says nothing about whether the coat looked blue in 1980.

Somehow professional artists at Kenner, Marvel Comics, and on the special effects crew all ended up using blue circa 1980. Telling everyone here that has reported seeing blue over the years that they are deluded is just a sign of insecurity as devil noted.

As has been mentioned, given Han's outfit is in no way similar to anyone else's, I'm not buying that he "uniformed up" and wore something that necessarily color coordinated with the Rebel Alliance. I can buy his happening to have a personal navy blue outer coat as he seemed to favor a navy blue jacket. Again, for me it's appearance, and I never considered a brown coat until that crappy POTF2 figure

The black and white is a different issue. I think the actors wore green make-up as well!

You'd have to go by the image in the colour posters, since that was what they were attempting to replicate in black and white on the theatre screen.

With Han's coat the issue is that since the DVD releases the brown prop coat does look brown on film.

It's a matter of pinning down evidence for when it appeared on screen as blue.

However, for anyone who remembers seeing blue evidence isn't important, since you're buying a figure to replicate the nostalgic image you hold.

So, there is no right or wrong.

Excellent comment!!! I have nostalgic for the blue coat......

i think it's funny that we pick out inaccuracies down the stitch and button of a figure but so many people are ok in getting a completely differenct color because of nostalgic or misinterpreted reasons. Next time a figure is inaccurate, let's see what you'll say then.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of speaking with Gary Kurtz. I am pretty sure that most hear know who this is and his role in the first two Star Wars films.

Although my conversation was not related to this debate I did let him know what was happening and as curious for his thoughts.

He confirmed without hesitation that the jacket worn by Han Solo was brown, and only brown. The filming miniatures were made concurrently with filming in Norway, and that the reason the miniature jacket was made in blue was due to the fact that the miniatures were filmed on a sound stage. The jacket was to help give the Hoth blue saturation effect of frigid weather.

According to him it was well known ahead of tme that the color tone of hoth was going to be very different than the real snow and skies on location. So in order to keep some form of continuity for post production the landscape, snow filament, painted back drop, and the puppets had do be done in colors that would aide the effect on location.

This is direct from the films producers mouth, and should end the debate.

Harrison Ford: brown coat

For the purposes of the sideshow figure both choice are correct depending on which you are referring......real person or miniature.

Hope this has helped.

Just make Sideshow happy and buy both Exclusives. My nostalgia for the blue coat is 100% Kenner, not movie, and I wanted both in one set because of that, even if it never made its way onto Han. It would probably get worn by another figure down the line.

You'd like to think - I'm pretty sure we've already seen plenty of evidence that my grandkids will still be able to join the debate. For reference, my daughter is currently 4 and my son 1. Let the good times roll. ;)

Last edited:
i think it's funny that we pick out inaccuracies down the stitch and button of a figure but so many people are ok in getting a completely differenct color because of nostalgic or misinterpreted reasons. Next time a figure is inaccurate, let's see what you'll say then.

I'm not a hypocrite. I was bummed when Momaw what's-his-name didn't come with a blue onesey. But orange snake for Yoda, rifle for Snowey? Good stuff.

I'm not a hypocrite. I was bummed when Momaw what's-his-name didn't come with a blue onesey. But orange snake for Yoda, rifle for Snowey? Good stuff.

BY all means man, i'm not trying to stir up anything and not trying to call anyone a hypocrite. Just interesting to me, that's all.

BY all means man, i'm not trying to stir up anything and not trying to call anyone a hypocrite. Just interesting to me, that's all.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did. It's all good. Just pointing out it wasn't the first time SS did something inaccurate for nostalgia sake, and I've enjoyed it each time they've done it.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of speaking with Gary Kurtz. I am pretty sure that most hear know who this is and his role in the first two Star Wars films.

Although my conversation was not related to this debate I did let him know what was happening and as curious for his thoughts.

He confirmed without hesitation that the jacket worn by Han Solo was brown, and only brown. The filming miniatures were made concurrently with filming in Norway, and that the reason the miniature jacket was made in blue was due to the fact that the miniatures were filmed on a sound stage. The jacket was to help give the Hoth blue saturation effect of frigid weather.

According to him it was well known ahead of tme that the color tone of hoth was going to be very different than the real snow and skies on location. So in order to keep some form of continuity for post production the landscape, snow filament, painted back drop, and the puppets had do be done in colors that would aide the effect on location.

For the purposes of the sideshow figure both choice are correct depending on which you are referring......real person or miniature.

Hope this has helped.

Makes sense. They made the puppet blue so it would look the same as the 1:1 coat under the blue filters. Color corrections in later transfers show the brown more distinctly, but don't eliminate completely the blue appearance which was more pronounced in the original presentation.

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Harrison Ford and before we hung up I asked him what color parka he wore on Hoth. He said blue. Direct from the actor himself. I guess that ends the debate!

I don't think anyone has disputed that there has been a "debate" for about 10 years, probably starting whenever that brown museum display first appeared. I've never been a part of or witnessed any back and forth about color in the 80's or 90's (and I was pretty active on alt.fan.startwars back in the day) but would be very curious to see if any evidence suggesting that can be found.

Back