Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - May 16, 2014

Spoiler Spoiler:

Have you watched any of the Japanese ones or just the '98 Matthew Broderick one?

I got to say...that synopsis actually sounds better to me. Some of it is a bit outlandish, but I at least like the way they set that one up.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

That... actually sounds pretty good. I only don't like...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Laying eggs is what brought you screaming into this ****ed up world.

See, not so bad now is it. :rotfl

That... actually sounds pretty good. I only don't like...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Laying eggs is what brought you screaming into this ****ed up world.

See, not so bad now is it. :rotfl

Very Alien in concept. Just no facehuggers.

Have you watched any of the Japanese ones or just the '98 Matthew Broderick one?

I have only seen the '54 original and the '98 version, the '98 version much more recently, and I can't remember much of the '54 original.

Like I said, I am in no way a Godzilla expert.

I've only seen the 98 version myself, but even without seeing the originals I knew it was horrible.

I've only seen the 98 version myself, but even without seeing the originals I knew it was horrible.
Original (not that '56 US recut) is a must!
FX are very dated but in terms of cinematography it is one of the best.

Original (not that '56 US recut) is a must!
FX are very dated but in terms of cinematography it is one of the best.

I'll give it a whirl one of these days. Effects don't mean anything to me as long it's conveyed with effort. I'll take practical effects every time.

The Criterion Bluray of Gojira looks amazing for a 60 year old movie.

More info from the same source, again, take with a grain of salt.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well, so far, it's my favorite possible plot of the film.

And, yes, the original Gojira is definitely a must for anybody who has not seen it. It's such a well-made, impactful film. The vision that Honda had when he created the first one is still remarkable to me. He achieved so much with a film that, in it's core, is still a guy in a rubber costume thrashing a miniature city.

More info from the same source, again, take with a grain of salt.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Interesting. Not exactly original but a good way to cause separation/resent among family.
We'll see though how the real story goes. :)

Well, so far, it's my favorite possible plot of the film.

And, yes, the original Gojira is definitely a must for anybody who has not seen it. It's such a well-made, impactful film. The vision that Honda had when he created the first one is still remarkable to me. He achieved so much with a film that, in it's core, is still a guy in a rubber costume thrashing a miniature city.

And for my money, that's the best a guy in a rubber suit has ever looked smashing a miniature city. The black and white film, the smoke effects and the vfx that went into that make those scenes truly nightmarish and disturbing. Gojira is simply the best ever.

And for my money, that's the best a guy in a rubber suit has ever looked smashing a miniature city. The black and white film, the smoke effects and the vfx that went into that make those scenes truly nightmarish and disturbing. Gojira is simply the best ever.

I'd be inclined to agree. And, in a way, the black and white effect kind of hides many of the SFX flaws. It doesn't look as fake as many of the films in the 60's and 70's. Hell, even the recent films look fake because Toho suddenly decided to try to add CGI in many Godzilla films.

Creatures laying eggs inside Godzilla? Not too keen on that idea and hope its only a rumor. Reminds me of one of the old Gamera films. Been done already.

I'd be inclined to agree. And, in a way, the black and white effect kind of hides many of the SFX flaws. It doesn't look as fake as many of the films in the 60's and 70's. Hell, even the recent films look fake because Toho suddenly decided to try to add CGI in many Godzilla films.

It's so weird that over the course of his 60s years, he came to look more fake in the newer films. Visually he looked ok in the Showa era, the simplified suits are what gave it away, he looked more real again in 84 and 89 but after that, the suits always looked rubber and fake.

91-92 / 99-00 / 02-03 had great looking suits :dunno

84 and 01 had the worst.

I'm not saying the designs were bad, just something with the lighting and some of the motions in the head just made him look more like a rubber suit than a living creature with skin. The cinematography in 54, 84 and 89 had something to it that made him look more alive.

Some new tidbits about Godzilla from the script source.

Spoiler Spoiler:

This source, true or not, needs to be the film's hype man. But this can also be dangerous. Even though I'm taking it with a grain of salt, now I know at least how into this film I CAN be.

Sounds like the final fight may be a total slobberknocker.

91-92 / 99-00 / 02-03 had great looking suits :dunno

84 and 01 had the worst.

By design or aesthetically?

Because I think GMK is the best looking and most realistic out of the Millennium series. Kaneko made it look real. He hands down gave that Godzilla the most personality. His face looked so interactive in his expressions and how he kept getting angrier and angrier. Plus, the guy in the costume looked more fluid and alive.

The other films of this generation, looked too massive for the guy in the suit. It looked like every step Godzilla took the guy was about to fall down or sideways. Godzilla didn't look strong enough to support his body, he looked like a rubber costume.

By design, the Showa Godzilla costumes were slimmer and more maneuverable. It looked more natural.

But, '54 hid the limits of the costume well. Whether he was only shown from the waist down or the waist up, the costume held up well. The few, whole body shots stood out great because the monster moved so slow and it added to the feeling of the movie. Even as ugly as the following costume was, Gigantis in 1955, the suitmation was pretty good. He looked like a real predator when he battled Anguirus and not like a man in a costume. It looked fluid.

Back