ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple quick ones from the office.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'd say that Ben and Palps are older characters, and thus more wrinke-ly. This makes it easier for the sculpt to shine through the paint.

...or it could be a little bit of column A and some of column B.

It does seem that with the older character and alien sculpts the paint work is easier to pull off. I think that both ANH Luke and Han turned out great and so far are among my favorites of the line.

Got mine today. I would take some pix but I don't have the spare time right now. I'm not that hard to please when it comes to these guys but here's my two pennies. The hair color looks okay to me. Not as dark as the pix. I was worried about that but no more. The whites of the eyes are almost flesh color, would've liked to see them a little brighter. The sculpt is of course amazing but I still think Jedi Luke is more Luke, for me anyway. Maybe it's the paint that makes me feel that way, dunno. I don't like the tunic. Probably because the proto tunic looks so much more on model. It doesn't look as bad as the pix but the fabric they chose is horrible. It's too thin and the weave is way too big. Why couldn't they use the same material as the pants? Not to mention the color which is definitely light cream, not white. Another detail I may not have noticed if it wasn't for you guys on this board, heh heh.
Over all though I do like the figure alot aside from the darn tunic. The rest of the accessories and clothing are top notch, what I've come to expect from Sideshow. (I havn't taken the floppy hat out of the box yet.) I am happy to have him. The more I look at him the more I see Luke. So thank you Sideshow for another amazing Star Wars collectible.

I just got Han and I think they are both some of the greatest figures of the entire line so I really scratch my head when I go back and read comments that Sideshow is blowing their momentum they gained with Palps and Old Ben. :dunno

IMHO, you're nuts if you think either of these is better than Old Ben. :confused:

I just got mine. About what I expected after seeing the recent in-hand pics:

The sculpt is brilliant, but the paint apps are very sub-par. Repaint necessary (for me, anyway).

The tunic really does blow and is pretty much what I would expect on a $20 figure, not a $70 one. I'm speaking of the quality of the material as well as how shoddily the snap was done. :banghead

The accessories are awesome! :clap I wish Sideshow put as much effort into the head paint and tunic.

Very happy with how the boot/wrappings turned out. :rock In fact, that even makes the inferior tunic a bigger blow.

Inclusion of the stormtrooper blaster but lack of stormtrooper belt remains head-scratching. :huh

I don't know if this will vary, but the way they painted the fingernails on the hands is pretty scary! These should be some creature's hands, not Lukes. :horror

The Buck remains the cipher it always was.

Overall, I'm LUKEwarm at best on this one. Heh.

In the end, not a horrible figure. But far from great (especially for the money). I'd give it about 6.5/10. With some time, work and more $$ it can be turned into a 9+. Sideshow could have done better.

I still stand by my statement that it turned out pretty good. Just needs a little TLC to really shine. But it's not $20 bad.

I'm not saying it's $20 bad at all. Only the tunic is.

Overall, as-is I would say this would be good for $50-55 or so. But $70? Nah. Because it's gonna take another $20-$30 for me to get this to look the way it should.

Overall, as-is I would say this would be good for $50-55 or so. But $70? Nah. Because it's gonna take another $20-$30 for me to get this to look the way it should.

I was hoping you'd be more pleased with it in-hand.

My biggest gripe now about the tunic isn't so much the weave or material as the cream color. Like I said before, the color of Luke's cream tunic should have been the color of Han's white shirt and visa versa. The tunic looks even more yellow against the stark white of Leia's dress.

Maybe a little Tatooine dirt and dust will help.

Bleach could easily fix the tunic color. That's the least of its problems.

Overall, I don't dislike the figure. I'm "meh". It's decent, but lacking.

Nah, anything under 6 is "fail" to me. 6.5 is just passable. I could probably give this figure a 7.0, but the price, paint apps, Buck and utter disappointment in the tunic prevents me from doing so. :monkey3

I was hoping you'd be more pleased with it in-hand.

My biggest gripe now about the tunic isn't so much the weave or material as the cream color. Like I said before, the color of Luke's cream tunic should have been the color of Han's white shirt and visa versa. The tunic looks even more yellow against the stark white of Leia's dress.

Maybe a little Tatooine dirt and dust will help.

Guess things will change when I get him home with other figures, here at the office the color on the tunic looks fine.

Nah, anything under 6 is "fail" to me. 6.5 is just passable. I could probably give this figure a 7.0, but the price, paint apps, Buck and utter disappointment in the tunic prevents me from doing so. :monkey3

OK so Just passable is equal to decent? Which is he. You said he is just passable but a few posts above you said he was "decent".

Just winding you up Irish. :lol

Mine should be here shortly but looking at all the pics I don't see how anyone can say the paint apps are subpar unless you just got a really bad one Carl. The tunic color is my biggest issue still from everything I've seen.

IMHO, the paint apps obscure the likeness. It looks much less like Hamill from ANH than the sculpt deserves.

And, yes, the hair is way too dark. The highlights are the color they should have painted the base color of the hair and highlighted it from there.

But no matter... mine will be repainted anyway.

I agree with being critical of the paint apps if they hurt the likeness, and compared to the bar figures of Palps and Ben, where the likeness is continued from sculpt to paint, Luke and Han fall short, they look nice, but as DA Josh's Han repaint shows, the likeness of the Han figure can go even further with the correct paint, and I'm sure if someone paints this Luke's eyes over and correctly, we'll be in awe of how much it helps, I really think the big negative factor of paint is the eyes.

IMHO, the paint apps obscure the likeness. It looks much less like Hamill from ANH than the sculpt deserves.

And, yes, the hair is way too dark. The highlights are the color they should have painted the base color of the hair and highlighted it from there.

But no matter... mine will be repainted anyway.

In some shots I agree with you and some shots not. I gotta see it in hand this time honestly.

Back