ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Luke today and I thought I would go ahead and throw in my thoughts about the figure.

After all the commotion about the material used for the tunic, I was very relieved to see the actual tunic in person. It isn't as bad as everyone thought. No, it isn't as good as the prototype, but it isn't shiny, glossy or anything like that. It has a bit of a canvas feel to it and is textured as such, which seems to be what leads it to appear the way it does in photos. Of course I wish that the proto material was used, but this material does work better than early pictures lead me to believe.

Besides the tunic, the only other criticism I have is the paint - it's simply too dark for Luke and of course makes him appear more mature/older. Lightening up the paint (mainly the hair, flesh tone seems right) could make a world of difference and enhance Trev's excellent sculpt.

Beyond that (and the fact that's it's on the buck, but that's a given criticism at this point) this figure really is great and is a worthy addition to the ANH heroes. Luke is loaded with cool accessories from the goggles to macrobinoculars. The only thing missing is a stormtrooper belt and grappling hook, otherwise everything you could want is included.

Here are a couple of quick low key snapshots - it's night so only artificial light is available. I hope everyone enjoys this figure!

I'll be picking up this figure later, when the price has dropped some. But based on all of the pics seen so far, regardless of the "chicken little" comments, the figure looks sharp, with the exception of the tunic. While the tunic may not be "too" bad, it's just a disappointment after seeing the proto pics. Paint apps are average. Not sloppy but not great. I'll take average from SS any day.

SS should have dumped the floppy hat and goggles and given us the Stormtrooper belt instead. I would have loved to have had the option for a Death Star Luke setup.

Yeah, the floppy had and goggles are kinda weak IMO. Glad to have the exclusive... but really one of the least exciting so far.

Alright, that's the last "chicken little" comment I can let slide (since I was one of the screamers helping to ring the bell...:lol)

I don't think that anyone who voiced concerns have any crow to eat or apologies to make. I think we were all in agreement that the portrait rocked (aside for the hair color choice and possibly some eye painting issues), and that the accessories were extremely nice (floppy hat notwithstanding - I actually like the floppy hat and think it will be pretty cool with some futzing).

It's just that tunic! Some have said that it look considerably better in hand, so that's good news, but it's still a serious disappointment, in my view, and I'd LOVE to have a source for an after-market run of these that come close to matching the proto. If anyone had said, "this piece is gonna be garbage" and it turned out as nice as it is, then feel free to bring out the Chicken Little pics free from any dissenting view, but come on, that's not really what happened...

-My peace.

oh....I, err....cancelled my cancellation about 10 minutes after I made it, so mine should be here today too... :monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

So you are defending your Chicken Little-ness, yet you don't have the figure yet...hmmm. :tap

So you are defending your Chicken Little-ness, yet you don't have the figure yet...hmmm. :tap

Well, I can't imagine that I'll get the figure a little later today and say, wow! that tunic rules, I was an idiot! But I'll make you this promise; if that's my reaction, I'll post it.

I just got Han and I think they are both some of the greatest figures of the entire line so I really scratch my head when I go back and read comments that Sideshow is blowing their momentum they gained with Palps and Old Ben. :dunno

I just got Han and I think they are both some of the greatest figures of the entire line so I really scratch my head when I go back and read comments that Sideshow is blowing their momentum they gained with Palps and Old Ben. :dunno

Now you see why I laugh when I read those comments when they're first made.

I think it's because despite the continuity in paint apps between proto and production on these two, the feeling is overall, the apps were better on Ben and Palpatine, and I'd agree that apps on both better showed off the likeness, but with Han and Luke we got exactly what we ordered, possibly a bit better, and other than the Luke tunic, I don't see any deviation in the clothing either.

I think it's because despite the continuity in paint apps between proto and production on these two, the feeling is overall, the apps were better on Ben and Palpatine, and I'd agree that apps on both better showed off the likeness, but with Han and Luke we got exactly what we ordered, possibly a bit better, and other than the Luke tunic, I don't see any deviation in the clothing either.

I'd say that Ben and Palps are older characters, and thus more wrinke-ly. This makes it easier for the sculpt to shine through the paint.

...or it could be a little bit of column A and some of column B.

I'd say that Ben and Palps are older characters, and thus more wrinke-ly. This makes it easier for the sculpt to shine through the paint.

...or it could be a little bit of column A and some of column B.

Well to me, the sculpt shows fine on Han and Luke, age of the portrait doesn't matter, but I find the eyes on Palpatine, Sidious and Old Ben perfectly capture the emotion and the character, where Luke and Han, while done cleanly, just are missing something indefinable that's holding them back.

Back