Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it's REAL leather on a toy that small, but I can confirm after touching it that it's a much higher quality material than the BM! version. And remember, it's almost 20 years old at this point and the sample I saw was holding up just fine.

I doubt it's REAL leather on a toy that small, but I can confirm after touching it that it's a much higher quality material than the BM! version. And remember, it's almost 20 years old at this point and the sample I saw was holding up just fine.

yea that's why i'm asking. has anyone actually seen pleather in 1/6 this old holding up well?

i have some Pleather trenchcoat from Dragon but they are more on the rubbery side. more rubber = more durability but they are thicker and baggier.

All this talk of the 2000 Medicom Kaneda got me really thinking.

Last night, I went on the Mandarake website and there was another store outside of Tokyo that had one. Used...but cheaper than I'd ever seen it. 15,000 yen.

I debated pulling the trigger. I put it on my watch list.

Today I went back to inquire about it further....but it's gone. Sold out. Goddamnit.

Wonder if one you was the one that sniped me?? Well, good job if it was. Just goes to show, never hesitate when you see a deal for these things.

I guess there are still 299 of them still floating around. Wonder if I'll ever own one.

All this talk of the 2000 Medicom Kaneda got me really thinking.

Last night, I went on the Mandarake website and there was another store outside of Tokyo that had one. Used...but cheaper than I'd ever seen it. 15,000 yen.

I debated pulling the trigger. I put it on my watch list.

Today I went back to inquire about it further....but it's gone. Sold out. Goddamnit.

Wonder if one you was the one that sniped me?? Well, good job if it was. Just goes to show, never hesitate when you see a deal for these things.

I guess there are still 299 of them still floating around. Wonder if I'll ever own one.

if you had the money, why not? i mean even if you don't like it or the pleather's all messed up you know you can still sell him at least $150 and get back your money. on ebay he's probably gonna go for $300.

Look at this gorgeous cel. Just look at this. Someone actually OWNS this!!

tumblr_pfiaf32vVi1u59bv3o2_1280.jpg

In fact, I believe the owner posted in this thread a few times. He runs the unbelievable blog "The Art of Akira" that you should all bookmark and visit daily.

https://artofakira.com/

Can you imagine how proud you'd be to own this? I'd stare at it daily. And the craziest part? This is just one tiny fraction of this guy's collection. "Impressive" is an understatement. This collection is just mind-boggling to me.

Subject 28...if you're still around, please come back and post some more!

Look at this gorgeous cel. Just look at this. Someone actually OWNS this!!

View attachment 427692

In fact, I believe the owner posted in this thread a few times. He runs the unbelievable blog "The Art of Akira" that you should all bookmark and visit daily.

https://artofakira.com/

Can you imagine how proud you'd be to own this? I'd stare at it daily. And the craziest part? This is just one tiny fraction of this guy's collection. "Impressive" is an understatement. This collection is just mind-boggling to me.

Subject 28...if you're still around, please come back and post some more!

I'm friends with Joe on face book! Lovely guy and he has an awesome collection!

I might be selling my Kaneda douga, as I need funds towards something cool next year, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd been thinking about having someone do a more realistic paint job on my sculpts. Saw this today and it convinced me. Has anyone switched their body out? I'm thinking about trying to go for a seamless for Tetsuo
IMG_0258.jpg

I'd been thinking about having someone do a more realistic paint job on my sculpts. Saw this today and it convinced me. Has anyone switched their body out? I'm thinking about trying to go for a seamless for Tetsuo
View attachment 438695

Who did the custom paint job? Looks awesome

Fyi I cant say it for the Medicom RAH Akira series but I can tell you there was no way in hell the Medicom RAH Evangelion Plugsuit and School Uniform fit into any of the Phicen and Jiaou Dolls.

You will have to drill the head. Not sure if a Kaneda is worth drilling but maybe a Tetsuo

I know it's all subjective and purely a matter of taste, but personally I'd never go for a "realistic" paint job on an anime property. Same way I wouldn't want a "weathered" paint job on the bike, unless it was an exact recreation of how the bike was trashed at the end of the movie.

To me, seeing all the pores on his skin and realistic eyes, yet the clearly cartoon shape and details of the head create a really weird "uncanny valley" look that I just find disturbing.

Same with that Mezco Popeye figure everyone loves. I look at it and it just grosses the hell out of me...like some creature from a nightmare.

By the way, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before...

NHK in Japan is doing a series called "Tokyo Reborn" and the opening shots are all supervised by Otomo. Features a CGI Kaneda zipping around a CGI Neo Tokyo.

I'll include the link but it's possible it's region locked and you won't be able to see it. It's interesting cause whoever animated it clearly used the Project BM toy as a model, glowing green lights and all.

1545095746160_301a2d5e07d6686e5dd8530350c2a0a6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

(Oh, and other than the CGI opening, there's no need to watch...it's dreadfully boring...basically talking to construction workers about their project for an hour.)

just saw someone over on FB selling the full set with figures and bike for 1700. better get on it quick if you've been looking for a set.

just saw someone over on FB selling the full set with figures and bike for 1700. better get on it quick if you've been looking for a set.

That's really tempting. That is a lot scratch though and I've spent too much recently. I think I'll have to continue to dream and hope someone like P1 picks up the license someday. Good looking out though.

I'm baffled that someone hasn't taken advantage of the 2019 resurgence in the interest of AKIRA with some new toys.

I LOVE my BM! set, but with the rubber tires, the faux pleather outfit on Kaneda, and the fact that it's just about ten years old, I think it's really risky to drop that kind of money on it.

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous and the crown jewel of my collection, but if I hadn't bought it for less than retail when it was brand new I'd be too nervous on its longevity to shell out now.

I'm praying some company wises up and gives us a definitive 1/12 scale that will be more durable in the long run.

As an aside, I just caught AKIRA on 35mm at a local Tokyo cinema again today and by god it holds up brilliantly. No other animated feature can ever come close, and no other epic manga for that matter.

That's really tempting. That is a lot scratch though and I've spent too much recently. I think I'll have to continue to dream and hope someone like P1 picks up the license someday. Good looking out though.

same. keep hoping! its a dream piece for me.

Prime 1 statues are just too insane for me. Obviously more than I can afford, not to mention how much real estate they'd take up in my small Japanese apartment.

Plus, one decent size earthquake, and that gorgeous statue will be be in a hundred pieces.

If they ever make one, I'll just have to look at pics of yours and cry.

Prime 1 statues are just too insane for me. Obviously more than I can afford, not to mention how much real estate they'd take up in my small Japanese apartment.

Plus, one decent size earthquake, and that gorgeous statue will be be in a hundred pieces.

If they ever make one, I'll just have to look at pics of yours and cry.

If I could only own one statue it would be Kaneda on his bike. So clear out space on top of your dresser, fridge, night stand, desk, or kitchen counter. Cuz that's what I would do in your situation and P1 made the dream come true. :D

Back