• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've use the gift option with peps I know for my decals.

Gift is fine on small $ items, but you'd be foolish to do it on a $400 item.

It's also funny to see ads in the commerce section asking for gift or pay the paypal fees. :lol They are the sellers fees. Don't like the fee, accept a different method of payment then.

There are sellers out there that genuinely think that once they put it in a box and slap some postage on it, it's out of their hands. Things go ok 9 times out of 10 and that one time, they tell the buyer they're SOL. That's not true... unless the buyer sent as 'gift'.

And yes, Dave stated a fact. You lose your rights.

By all means, trade with your friends as you see fit, but know the risks and consequences. Dave would be remiss not to issue the warning.

Everyone on here knows the risks of buying, we buy expensive items all the time, you don't need to keep rminding us, we are all big boys. If someone wants to send $400 as a gift and have no protection that's their choice, a dumb one, bur it's theirs.

It's also funny to see ads in the commerce section asking for gift or pay the paypal fees. :lol They are the sellers fees. Don't like the fee, accept a different method of payment then.

What's funny about the sellers asking the buyer to pay for the fees when paying as goods. That's just the way it is. I don't come across many sellers who pay the fee themselves, the buyer usually pays them. Also there is no other form of payment in this hobby. I don't see many people sending money orders and stuff to pay, you get know protection that way.

As a buyer I have paid a ton of members here as a gift, but I do my research on them first.

As a seller I offer the gift payment or add the PP fees.

But why?

Target doesn't tell me to add 3% when I run my card.

Add the 3% to your asking price.

True , IDK why .

When i joined the forum , people selling in the commerce section always had their stuff listed that way . I just thought that was the way things went around here , so i've listed my stuff like that ever since .

Well since now you have to pay the fees on "gifts" does it really matter if its sent that way or not anymore?

Are they lower? I didn't know that. I don't pay much attention to paypal these days since I have slowed WAY down on buying. But I noticed when I sent some money as a gift 2 days ago it asked if I wanted to pay the fees or make the receiver pay.

But why?

Whats the difference asking the buyer to pay the fees or adding the fees to the prce, the buyer is still paying them in the end.

Well since now you have to pay the fees on "gifts" does it really matter if its sent that way or not anymore?

If you have money on your Paypal account and you pay as gift you don't have to pay any fees.

I think if you pay with money on your account you also get no protection, you can't make a claim, only if you pay though credit card or bank. Not 100% sure on that though.

Looks better to a buyer.

Target and such already factors their card processing fees into their product prices.

Then again, I also don't believe in paying sellers fees. That is the price you pay for making money.

I pay and receive in gift all the time and have yet to have any problems. As A2C had said, do your research. If the person has outstanding positive review and an amazing reputation here, I'd never hesitate to pay in gift. The chances of getting screwed is still there but it's very very tiny.

People would put out hundreds or thousands of dollars to purchase a statue but too damn cheap to pay a small amount of fees for peace of mind. Just don't get it.

i do pay and get paid as a gift. Just doing your own research and communicate clearly and as stated.

I've use the gift option with peps I know for my decals.

Gift is fine on small $ items, but you'd be foolish to do it on a $400 item.

I always ask for " Please Add 3% for PayPal Fees" when i sell stuff

But why?

Isn't that just semantics?

Personally I have no problem with paying the extra 3%.

For the record, I've done all my paypal transactions here as "gift" and never had an issue. I do agree with the sentiment of the OP though. You aren't protected when you pay as gift so you better trust the person.

For the most part, I think established members would like to keep a good reputation so they wont be screwing you. Maybe that's naive, iunno. :dunno

Back