1/6 How it's made: DETOLF EMPERORS THRONE ROOM WITH CHAIR!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the top "roof" may be slightly undersized, I don't think the Sideshow throne is too small overall, and I hope JazzInc doesn't upscale the custom one, because I really want his background/window to work with my throne. If you look at screen caps too, the 10" height on both the Sideshow one and the custom one seems about right (i.e. when Luke and vader are standing near it.) These are customized Hasbro figs in the pics below (this Vader is 13",) so some parts are slightly overscale too.

throne2_zpsh0mdffip.png

throne1_zpsl90sczho.png

I may remember the SSC Throne measurements all wrong. Mine had to go back in the box a while ago, so I don't see it everyday anymore. In my mind it's smaller than 10", but I may be totally wrong. I've been tinkering with various custom thrones over time as well, so maybe I have mixed it all up. Either way I'm certain that the throne in the movie is quite a bit larger than the SSC. More roomy in the sides and taller, and it doesn't have the triangle shape. I suppose it's so easy to look at the Sideshow and other licensed versions for details to use as a starting point and all of a sudden you have copied the mistakes as well.

I think about 12 weeks

Hot Toys emperor is years away so no rush..

I guess most of us have the SSC as a placeholder at least. :lol

I may remember the SSC Throne measurements all wrong. Mine had to go back in the box a while ago, so I don't see it everyday anymore. In my mind it's smaller than 10", but I may be totally wrong. I've been tinkering with various custom thrones over time as well, so maybe I have mixed it all up. Either way I'm certain that the throne in the movie is quite a bit larger than the SSC. More roomy in the sides and taller, and it doesn't have the triangle shape. I suppose it's so easy to look at the Sideshow and other licensed versions for details to use as a starting point and all of a sudden you have copied the mistakes as well.

Hot Toys emperor is years away so no rush..

I guess most of us have the SSC as a placeholder at least. :lol

I think the Sideshow and custom thrones are the right height but they're a bit small in the top section - as you say, too triangular and the "roof" part is too small.

HT doesn't really do stuff like the throne - they like either big centerpieces (Tron cycle, DeLorean, batmobile etc.) or underscale pack-ins (interrogation droid, Yoda lamps etc.) And the Emperor is seen just as much if not more away from his throne than sitting in it - unlike Jabba who's always on his throne.

125cd313f78af6d83bd80beee1f5dfab.jpg

7ffba6296a593c05fed22267f8e7c033.jpg

I'm having a hard time picturing this...I thought you were doing mainly the interior part of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time picturing this...I thought you were doing mainly the interior part of the window.

It's a scaled down piece/test for the outer edge of that part.

index.jpeg

Besides, no doubt there will be a lot of compromise with a Detolf version because the real one was massive. I'm sure Joost is experimenting with what will and won't look good and what is realistically possible.

Full faith this will turn out great.

It's a scaled down piece/test for the outer edge of that part.

View attachment 337197

Besides, no doubt there will be a lot of compromise with a Detolf version because the real one was massive. I'm sure Joost is experimenting with what will and won't look good and what is realistically possible.

Full faith this will turn out great.

Exactly right on all points

Exactly right on all points

:duff

This one is gonna be a headache - I could see when you first suggested it. Scaled vs just a section of it behind the throne.

Great piece of rolling there, Joost. Makes me wanna just buy that part for no reason at all :lol

^^ Looks totally awesome and is incredible to see, but for me as a figure display it's a bit of a waste of very valuable display space. The uppermost and lowermost portions - like more than 12" at the top and the bottom - are just empty space that you only ever saw in a couple of very brief establishing shots in the movie, and to me it diminishes the figures to ants (the backdrop overwhelms them.)

I wouldn't have had them build the area below the floor and would have created a horizontal cut-off line (maybe just with a flat strip of black) about four inches above the top of the throne, matched at the floor line, to "frame" the dio to the way it looks in the movie.

It would still have that awesome hugeness and still be in correct 1/6 scale (without any Kenner-style scale distortions,) but would focus on the figures better and be something you could put in an expanded Besta. The whole thing would only be 18"-24" tall and about 4' wide instead of the huge 4' diameter circle.

Ha. Not my room. I just found it online. Although I've seen stuff for ceiling mods like this. Just google and see what you can find.

It's easy to do. You can buy the optic kits. Cheap ones are on ebay, expensive ones (better quality) from specialized suppliers. Then you simply mount a board to the ceiling - painted black, of course - with various sizes of holes for the different cable thicknesses. Hot glue gun the back of each cable or use a fixing plug that some of the kits come with. Some fiber optic projectors come with a twinkle effect too.

Back