Indy 5 on the way?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't post here very often, but I do lurk around for info and...

The problem wasn't with aliens per se. A good Indy story with aliens could certainly be told. The problem was with the uneven, muddy, inelegant plot, juvenile storytelling, hamfisted dialogue and characterizations.

And the problem with the aliens conceit wasn't that they had power it was the manner in which biological creatures (with crystal skeletons :rolleyes: ) had power and were turned into magical nonsense. How the whole situation got started was muddy and confusing at best. Why was one head missing? It popped off in the crash? :lol Why did the skull of a now dead alien have psychic power? Why did all the skeletons merge together when 1 skull was replaced into one now living alien? Sure, a viewer can come up with an explanation to try and make sense of things but the movie offered nothing. Objects imbued with the power of god that'll zap you if you don't follow the rules/aren't pure of heart are straightforward, easy and clear cut and I can suspend disbelief for, not for goofy aliens.

The problem wasn't with aliens per se. A good Indy story with aliens could certainly be told. The problem was with the uneven, muddy, inelegant plot, juvenile storytelling, hamfisted dialogue and characterizations.

And the problem with the aliens conceit wasn't that they had power it was the manner in which biological creatures (with crystal skeletons :rolleyes: ) had power and were turned into magical nonsense. How the whole situation got started was muddy and confusing at best. Why was one head missing? It popped off in the crash? :lol Why did the skull of a now dead alien have psychic power? Why did all the skeletons merge together when 1 skull was replaced into one now living alien? Sure, a viewer can come up with an explanation to try and make sense of things but the movie offered nothing. Objects imbued with the power of god that'll zap you if you don't follow the rules/aren't pure of heart are straightforward, easy and clear cut and I can suspend disbelief for, not for goofy aliens.

d00d it is an Indy film it doesn't need to make sense or have to be explained.

d00d it is an Indy film it doesn't need to make sense or have to be explained.

If all you care about in a film are shiny colors and special effects. :rolleyes:

Some of us care about a well told story that is smart, logical, internally consistent with strong narrative flow. The other Indy stories fit the bill. KotCS didn't.

If all you care about in a film are shiny colors and special effects. :rolleyes:

That is NOT what I said at all, Indy films to me are suppose to be great fun where I don't need to think too deeply about the film and just watch Indy kick some ass. I take story over effects any day. 4 was the weakest of them all but I still think it was a good Indy film, a good film in general? Maybe not.

It was good. It was called Raiders of the Lost Ark. :cool:

Yes, Yes Egypt is part of the African continent, in that respect Last Crusade counts too, but I had in mind a country like Kenya or Nigeria.

The Egypt we know now has a culture that is very Middle Eastern and has a history that relates to the Bible as well the Egyptian gods.
Setting it in the another African culture would be something new, and it could involve a new type of relic that is related to a different type of religion like Temple of Doom

Yes, Yes Egypt is part of the African continent, in that respect Last Crusade counts too, but I had in mind a country like Kenya or Nigeria.

The Egypt we know now has a culture that is very Middle Eastern and has a history that relates to the Bible as well the Egyptian gods.
Setting it in the another African culture would be something new, and it could involve a new type of relic that is related to a different type of religion like Temple of Doom

You could always watch some Young Indy.

I's like to see Indy go back into the snow, and maybe an underwater sequence somehow (not sure what he'll do with his hat).

I'd also like them to go back to the globe-trotting aspect of the first and third films, get a little variety in the locales.

That's all superficial stuff I know, but it's part of the whole thing for me.

Fate of Atlantis goes from snows of Nepal to Africa's dessers and Azores Rain Forrests, to under the sea in a German sub and Atlantis. Leave Marion at home, and since Indy is old and married you could work Sofia Hapgood as a love interest for Mutt. The nazis would have to be replaced by russians.

Of course its a good idea that the fans actually want so Lucas has already made clear it will never happen.

Fate of Atlantis goes from snows of Nepal to Africa's dessers and Azores Rain Forrests, to under the sea in a German sub and Atlantis.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Not so keen on Atlantis, but it does seem "Jones-ish" I suppose.

I'm a little tired of deserts and jungles as primary locations.

Even seeing Indy going mountaineering would be cool. Or maybe into seriously deep caverns like Carlsbad style.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Not so keen on Atlantis, but it does seem "Jones-ish" I suppose.

I'm a little tired of deserts and jungles as primary locations.

Even seeing Indy going mountaineering would be cool. Or maybe into seriously deep caverns like Carlsbad style.

IMO FOA is the greatest Indy story ever written to date, Raiders included. And I'm a huge Raiders fan. The locations are basically the same as Raiders as are the artifacts and Sofia is just a red headed younger Marion but it all works perfectly. Sallahs there, a hot air balloon, and german submarine, plenty of caves and caverns too. Definately still worth getting for the PC if you can run it with SCUMVM. I sold a sealded copy for $150 when Crystal Skull came out. Still have my props though.

PICT1618-1.jpg

PICT1619.jpg

Why the ^^^^ has Indy not fought a giant snake yet?

Seems a no brainer.

Hmmm...you have intrigued me with FOA. Now I'll have to pick up the book. Are any of the other novels any good?

Yea there are some that are really stellar, but to save money, get yourself a copy of the Indy Omnibus. It has FOA and some other really good ones too.

I believe Indy has fought a giant snake in the comics.

Also in Pirates of Sargasso he fights an Octopus or a giant squid, which?

And in Emporer's Tomb a giant crocodile.

...As for Mutt, you're wrong. He's not gonna suddenly change his name to Indiana Jones. That's the whole reason Indy takes the hat back at the end of KOTCS (I know most of us were gritting our teeth in disgust with the concept of Shia putting on the Fedora). Yes Shia is set inherit the franchise, but as Mutt, not Indy. So like it or not, you'll enjoy a "Mutt Williams and the ...." which I 100% guarantee is better than an "Indiana Jones and the..." on the marquee with Harrison replaced as Indy....

I will preface the following by saying that I am a HUGE "Raiders" fan. I consider "Temple" and "Last Crusade" as "ok'. But I didn't see "Crystal Skull" until it came out on DVD, and then it was borrowed and promptly returned.

If it comes down to "Mutt Williams and the..." of the franchise, I won't even be borrowing the DVD...

If Harry Ford was replaced, I would have absolutely no qualms with seeing it on the big screen, just as long as the new actor fits the part and that the story is a good one.

With Indy4 and now Indy5, all I'm getting are "Jaws: 3D" and "Jaws: The Revenge" type of vibes... :sick

I will preface the following by saying that I am a HUGE "Raiders" fan. I consider "Temple" and "Last Crusade" as "ok'. But I didn't see "Crystal Skull" until it came out on DVD, and then it was borrowed and promptly returned.

If it comes down to "Mutt Williams and the..." of the franchise, I won't even be borrowing the DVD...

If Harry Ford was replaced, I would have absolutely no qualms with seeing it on the big screen, just as long as the new actor fits the part and that the story is a good one.

With Indy4 and now Indy5, all I'm getting are "Jaws: 3D" and "Jaws: The Revenge" type of vibes... :sick

Well, do you think ROTLA's would've been as good with Tom Selleck as the lead? That's who they wanted originally. But seriously, would Raiders have been as successful? No, it wouldn't have, and I'm glad he was contractually obligated to do Magnum and couldn't do Raiders. It may have been a hit, but certainly wouldn't have become what Indy is today. Again, it's Ford that makes the role. No Ford, no Indy. It might as well be King Solomon's Mines or some other adventure movie.

Back