Norman Bates from PSYCHO!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand all about inflation. I'm not spoil with hot toys when it comes to horror stuff, I'm more spoiled with customs of horror as of late by usually a 1 or 2 person team who does not mass produce. That being said I will pass my personal opionion when it's released. I'm a little drunk right now so I'm may not sure if I'm explaining this properly. U don't mean to offend anyone just explaining how I feel

I understand all about inflation. I'm not spoil with hot toys when it comes to horror stuff, I'm more spoiled with customs of horror as of late by usually a 1 or 2 person team who does not mass produce. That being said I will pass my personal opionion when it's released. I'm a little drunk right now so I'm may not sure if I'm explaining this properly. U don't mean to offend anyone just explaining how I feel

Huh? :lol

Bates looks good IMO!

personally i dont like it at all.. looks like a cheap toy you can buy from a $2 shop...

although i do like the fact companies are making horror figures :) especially different ones

Point me in the direction of similar 12" toys for $2, and I sir, will salute you. Make one yourself, and I'll pay you $3.

Its cool to see a Norman Bates figure, even if it does look like the guy that plays Phil on "Modern Family".

It's funny you mention that. I always thought that guy had an older Perkins look to him.

personally i dont like it at all.. looks like a cheap toy you can buy from a $2 shop...

although i do like the fact companies are making horror figures :) especially different ones

Can you please send me 100 of the $2 toys so I can convert them

You must be living in 1940 or smoking crank. You cannot even buy a Happy Meal at McDonald's for $2. :cuckoo: Its already been established the fella making these isnt a "company" any more than a resin garage kit seller is a company. A "Company" doesnt send out email requests to fans for photographic references and input on clothes and sculpt. They just make something and toss it in front of you.

Here is an 8 inch figure of Jack Pierce, created specifically for a convention. Limited to 50, MEGO style. It's $75 plus admission to the show to get one.

MPLZ-JP-01-2.jpg

Let's put things in perspective instead of shouting out remarks that are, quite frankly, only being shouted out to be inflammatory. This little Pierce Mego by Emce (an actual company---whaddaya know) is roughly going to be the same price (or perhaps a little higher) than Bates once admission to the show is factored in). But Bates is larger, has a larger "production" run at 100 figures, and is 1/2 way across the globe, and shipping is included in the price of the figure. If the figure is not for you---just dont buy it. But belittling someone's work is seriously not cool....and raining on the parade of those of us who have wanted this figure for awhile now certainly isnt going to do anything for you personally...unless you are looking to rack up "troll points".:peace

I get tired of folks griping about some individuals attempts at customs, going the extra mile to make a little box to display the figure in, but will trumpet some of the most god-awful one off stuff that sometimes makes its way into these pages. Stuff that looks dreadful to some looks great to others.

Last edited:
I was giving my honest opinion of the figure.

If anyone thought it was inflammatory, it wasn't intended to be.

I quoted who I thought popped in just to be inflammatory.

But I cannot for the life of me understand why folks get their rocks off of belittling someone else's work~~ especially when they are a fellow freak. Statements made about it looking like it cost $2 to produce it are just outright wrong.

There are figures on here from time to time that are customs that I think are awful, and madly overpriced. But out of respect for my fellow freaks, I dont chime in and tear down their efforts, or insult fans of their work by saying things that dont contribute anything. It's classier, and a smidge more considerate. Baron Victor has made a lot of figures...all at 100 pieces or less, and quite a few sold out already. Besides---I am not saying everything DD has put out is gold. I thought the cape on Baron Meinster was waaay too huge. But I would rather have this Norman than something I am going to have to pay $300 for just because he will have more realistic baby doll clothes than the baby doll clothes he has on now.

I wish there were more older collectors on these boards than there are. Folks who lived thru mass produced stuff like this:
PUNISHER.jpg

Then maybe they could look at things with a different perspective. Toy collecting and figures have come along way. But not every custom is going to be for everybody, and not everyone is going to be impressed. But there's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Wrong is to jump in and say stuff like "Looks like something that costs about $2" Right would be to ask for a closer shot of the face, and make suggestions. I have seen the close up shot of the face, and it looks like Perkins. The eyebrows and eyes are not painted to perfection, but as long as he isnt crosseyed, then I am ok with it.

I will give you an example of what I am talking about. I looked at the Cropsy custom that One's recently did. I thoguht it was a cool figure(havent seen the movie). I hated the idea of the cotton on the flame thrower. But I didnt chime in and say "that looks like crap, way to cheap out" or anything of that sort. If I was going to critique it, I might've recommended swiping the flame thrower flames from a McFarlane Call of Duty figure. The plastic translusent flames from one of those figures might hold up better over time. But I wouldnt smear the entire work just because I didnt like something about it and wanted to be rude. I think the only thing I absolutely savaged on these boards was the Rick O'connel Mummy figure. I only said anything about that because I couldnt understand starting a line called "The Mummy" with a character who wasn't...you know, The Mummy.

But I think price is what is really eating a lot of people up on these figures DD make. $100 is viewed as some great amount of money. If you have a good sized vehicle, $100 is full gas tank and a pizza for dinner. With nothing to show for the $100 spent rather than going to a job you hate and eating one meal. $100 just aint a lot of money anymore unfortunately. I think I paid $175 for my Jack Bauer 24 figure by Inteleg or something liek that. Worth every penny. But folks were complaining about that figures "lack of this, that or the other" instead of just enjoying the great face sculpture. I think some folks just cannot be happy with anything...so they dont want anyone else to be either. A perfect example of this is the folks who collect Mattel's Masters of the Universe line. There's almost always nothing but negative,negative, negative all the time. No one bothers to actually think" Gee--this time 10 years ago, there werent any new MOTU toys at all." Its just complain, complain, complain. But I digress. Back to the money thing.

Walk the Toy aisles at wal-Mart. Young Justice figures by Mattel are about the size of Happy Meal toys. They cost $12-$14. They are the size of my pinkie. The Jack pierce Mego is $75 plus admission to the show. Like it or not---this stuff aint cheap....and $100 is not that big of a deal for the figure.

Honestly, I am surprised the guy wastes his time showing the figures here anymore. He gets praises from Monster fans from other sites. Whenever he shows one here all he gets is ridiculed, and his work trashed. I would tell BV to post the large shot of the Perkins head at different angles that I saw a few weeks ago before he showed it here....but what good would that do for folks who have already made up their minds that the sculpt is no good, the clothes are crap, the box is junky and made on an ink jet printer and the creator should probably go drink lye and put himself out of his misery. Cripes fellas......its a doll. If you dont like it, just dont buy it.

Last edited:
For this figure was great. The likeness is spot-on Anthony Perkins when he smirks. If this was just a figure of Anthony Perkins I'd have chosen something different, but as this is Anthony Perkins as a maniac the choice of head sculpt is great.

As it has a change of handmade outfits, this figure is perfect for the price. I am not that big a fan of 'Psycho', though I do like Anthony Perkins, but I'd get it anyway. The DD figures are nice and sturdy, not like more expensive companies that charge a lot more. The fact that I have to pay around £60 (that is including postage) for a figure is pretty amazing, as most cost around £120 now, and most customs cost more.

It is a shame that the hobby has become way to expensive. In the past these great figures surely would have been around 20-30 pounds, but now around £50-60 is pretty cheap and DD are one of the only, limited, custom release companies that charge around that...and make figures of Hammer Character, something big companies will not tackle (oh, they of little faith!) despite the fact they will sell.

If DD make a Michael Ripper, Andre Morell and an Ingrid Pitt, I'd be over the moon. As it is, they have already made about three Peter Cushings (sadly the Frankenstein has long been sold out and I missed that one), monsters, Meinster, a Zombie and the Werewolf and all look great and a lot of love and care went into making them. I am not sure why people are talking as if DD uses crappy GIJoe bodies and stuff like that. He uses bodies almost exactly like Dragon bodies (yes, out of date, but still better than most cheaper companies) and the materials are not cheap either. I own many DD figures and the materials (especially on Holmes's coat) are good. They are also sturdy and built to last, unlike many other more expensive companies. Even a child could probably play with a DD figure. They are as sturdy as Alfrex (sturdiest samurai around) and GI Joes, but better quality than Hasbro.

Last edited:
<<< Rain cloud.....

Looks bad to me, like a figure from 10 years ago that should have cost $40, not $100 in 2012. Just not feeling it at all..

I totally agree. Most of their figures look rather amaturish to me. I would buy if they were around $40 only because I collect horror figures but these are just not very well done and the materials for clothing is low grade quallity. Not worth $99. I did buy a Christopher Lee figure a while back that was well done and worth the $89 I paid for it and I really do wish these were as good because i would gladly buy all of them.

AAPIC 007 by madeboxer, on Flickr

I have been collecting horror 12ers since the early 80s and my main collection has always been horror. Although these 12ers do answer a void for characters from the Hammer films and other old movies I would love to have, the cost does not equal the quality. If the pricepoint was reduced, they might sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
It's funny you mention that. I always thought that guy had an older Perkins look to him.

Just looked him up. He does. I have always thought that Jerry Trainor looks like Perkins too. Often see him in drag or talking about showers...creepy.

I totally agree. Most of their figures look rather amaturish to me. I would buy if they were around $40 only because I collect horror figures but these are just not very well done and the materials for clothing is low grade quallity. Not worth $99

I have been collecting horror 12ers since the early 80s and my main collection has always been horror. Although these 12ers do answer a void for characters from the Hammer films and other old movies I would love to have, the cost does not equal the quality. If the pricepoint was reduced, they might sell like hotcakes.

Low grade material??? If on average $10 a metre is low grade then so be it. As for anyone who can produce a 12" figure including a pro printed laminated box and sell for $40 please introduce me. I will wholesale from them. I dont mind a bit of criticism but some people live in cloud cuckoo land. And as my mother used to say " The Proof of The Pudding is in the Eating". Those who buy my figures are happy, those who dont usually can't afford them and would rather be negative. Sheesh man, I will gladly compare the quality of my clothing next to the Sideshow Uni Monsters with their cheap plastic belts, green Frankenstein jackets and sleeveless shirts. Try stripping The Phantom of The Opera down and you will see low quality clothing!!

I am sure if he could sell these for $40 he would. Truth be told, it probably costs more than $40 to make them.

Interestingly enough, The portrait sculptor has done a lot of work for DST, and did the Fly 2 Maquette and Bullseye figure for Sideshow, along with some Marvel zombies stuff....and the Mummy figure from DST's first wave of Universal Monsters (which actually looks like Karloff even underneath all of the quick and dirty paint scheme that DST took with those figures). Link to his work:

https://www.rudygarciaonline.com/sculptures.html

DC21376lg.jpg

Back