FrankenFan's Photoshop Fundamentals — Avatar Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question but do I open the Iron Man image using Photoshop or Imageready?
That's a good question, carbo!

First open the the Iron Man image in Photoshop, then switch to ImageReady in Step 10 to create the animation.

I've added that distinction to Step 1. Thanks for pointing that out!

Another question, step 5 it says to go to Option Delete in the layers section but I can't find that option. Unless it's the one with the trashcan symbol that says delete layer.

Another question, step 5 it says to go to Option Delete in the layers section but I can't find that option. Unless it's the one with the trashcan symbol that says delete layer.
Step 5 reads:
...press Option Delete to fill the selection with white.

In other words, on your keyboard, press the Option key, then the Delete key, to fill the selection with the foreground color.

Alternately, from the main Photoshop menu, you can select Edit>Fill... to fill the selection.

And, don't click the Trash can icon, because, as advertised, it will delete your layer!

I edited the entry; Hope that clears things up!

Last edited:
Thank you, FrankenFan. I forgot that you are using a Mac.
Is the Option-Delete keyboard command invalid in Windows for filling a foreground selection with color?

I'm hopelessly addicted to keyboard commands, they save me a ton of time. But if the key combinations I'm specifying are not working in Windows, LMK and I'll add the corresponding menu item. I'd like to make the tutorials accessible to as many users as possible, so don't be shy to point out something that is not working for you, or any instructions that are hard to follow.

As a Mac user, I know what it's like to be marginalized and left out!

Is the Option-Delete keyboard command invalid in Windows for filling a foreground selection with color?

I'm hopelessly addicted to keyboard commands, they save me a ton of time. But if the key combinations I'm specifying are not working in Windows, LMK and I'll add the corresponding menu item. I'd like to make the tutorials accessible to as many users as possible, so don't be shy to point out something that is not working for you, or any instructions that are hard to follow.

As a Mac user, I know what it's like to be marginalized and left out!

The option-delete (Alt + delete) works for the PC. I just wasn't able to figure it out fast enough.:eek:

Here's is my result:
imavatarzn1.gif

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial. I'll def. try out other possibilities with it. I still have to try out your signature tutorial but I am sure it'll be as great as this one. By the way, I was using Photoshop CS2 and I didn't have to use ImageReady. I simply followed the instructions for CS3 (window--> animation) and everything else worked just as well. Thanks again FrankenFan.:rock

The option-delete (Alt + delete) works for the PC. I just wasn't able to figure it out fast enough.:eek:

Here's is my result:
imavatarzn1.gif

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial. I'll def. try out other possibilities with it. I still have to try out your signature tutorial but I am sure it'll be as great as this one. By the way, I was using Photoshop CS2 and I didn't have to use ImageReady. I simply followed the instructions for CS3 (window--> animation) and everything else worked just as well. Thanks again FrankenFan.:rock
Good job, carbo! Glad you had fun with it!

When I looked at your GIF, I noticed that frames 2, 3, and 5 are identical. It appears you may have missed a step and did not turn on the Lens Pulse layer in frames 3 and 4, which is why your animation appears to stop right before the flare.

Yours:
imavatarzn1.gif
Mine:
im_avatar.gif

See the difference?

Yes, ImageReady is readily accessible if you are using Photoshop CS or CS2. IIRC, there's an "edit in ImageReady" icon on the bottom of the Photoshop tool palette, that when clicked, launches IR.

And, thank you for helping me out in clarifying some of my instructions. I'll make a note of the Alt Delete Windows key command and add it to the tut!

Last edited:
I see the difference but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I have Lens Pulse turned on in steps 3 and 4, it's just doesn't look any different.:confused:
Cool new Balrog avatar, carbo!

Hmm. I see the same "blink-pause-flare, blink-pause-flare" action your Iron Man avatar has. And when I look at the individual frames, I see frames 2, 3, and 5 are identical, same as the Iron Man avatar.

So: You either have all of the layers on except the Flare layer in Frames 2, 3, and 4, or you are not turning the Lens Pulse layer on in Frames 3 and 4. I think. Maybe. I dunno. :dunno

When we duplicated the Lens Glow layer and renamed it Lens Pulse, we did it to intensify the effect of the Lens Glow layer. Basically, the semi-transparent pixels in each layer combine to make the glow effect stronger.

You can see the difference in this animation of Steps 3 and 4:

imgpvi2.gif

So to recap the Frame/Layer configurations:

Frame 1:
On: IM, IM copy, (your name)
Off: Lens Glow, Lens Pulse, Lens, Flare

Frame 2:
On: On: IM, IM copy, Lens Glow, Lens, (your name)
Off: Lens Pulse, Flare

Frame 3:
On: IM, IM copy, Lens Glow, Lens Pulse, Lens, (your name)
Off: Flare

Frame 4:
On: All layers

Frame 5 (Duplicate of Frame 2):

Here's my version of your Balrog avatar:

balrogrvsdem7.gif

For this one, I stroked the path with red, changed the glow color to red, and changed the pulse color to yellow:

balrogrvsdblk0.gif

Hope this helps!

I can't wait to try and make a new avatar! I have never really found an avatar that really suited me, so I am going to try and make a new one (and a new sig) this week! Thanks for these tutorials Kurt!!!

Man, I wish I had photoshop.

Its so cool that you are taking the time to do these Frank!

I can't wait to try and make a new avatar! I have never really found an avatar that really suited me, so I am going to try and make a new one (and a new sig) this week! Thanks for these tutorials Kurt!!!

Looking forward to seeing what, exactly, suits you! It might also be the perfect opportunity to capitalize that lower-case "l" and "c" in your user-name, mr. icummins! ;)

Man, I wish I had photoshop.

Its so cool that you are taking the time to do these Frank!

Thanks, King; I wish you could play along! :monkey2

Have you checked out GIMP? Lots of folks use it as an alternative. Best of all, it's completely free of charge!

If you are a Mac-user, here are two other apps you may want to investigate. They're not free like GIMP, but they are very low-cost alternatives:

Pixelmator Your can download a free, trial copy.

GraphicConverter GraphicConverter is shareware, and you can test-drive it without obligation and free of charge.

Looking forward to seeing what, exactly, suits you! It might also be the perfect opportunity to capitalize that lower-case "l" and "c" in your user-name, mr. icummins! ;)

I know... I've thought about getting Dave to change it to at least a capital L, but only a few people have mistaken it for an "i". :lol

As for what suits me, I'm not sure myself. I have a lot of different interests, but most likely it will end up as something Universal related. :D

Cool new Balrog avatar, carbo!

Hmm. I see the same "blink-pause-flare, blink-pause-flare" action your Iron Man avatar has. And when I look at the individual frames, I see frames 2, 3, and 5 are identical, same as the Iron Man avatar.

So: You either have all of the layers on except the Flare layer in Frames 2, 3, and 4, or you are not turning the Lens Pulse layer on in Frames 3 and 4. I think. Maybe. I dunno. :dunno

When we duplicated the Lens Glow layer and renamed it Lens Pulse, we did it to intensify the effect of the Lens Glow layer. Basically, the semi-transparent pixels in each layer combine to make the glow effect stronger.

You can see the difference in this animation of Steps 3 and 4:

imgpvi2.gif

So to recap the Frame/Layer configurations:

Frame 1:
On: IM, IM copy, (your name)
Off: Lens Glow, Lens Pulse, Lens, Flare

Frame 2:

Frame 3:
On: IM, IM copy, Lens Glow, Lens Pulse, Lens, (your name)
Off: Flare

Frame 4:
On: All layers

Frame 5 (Duplicate of Frame 2):

Here's my version of your Balrog avatar:

balrogrvsdem7.gif

For this one, I stroked the path with red, changed the glow color to red, and changed the pulse color to yellow:

balrogrvsdblk0.gif

Hope this helps!

Hmm....it appears that I might be doing something wrong in the Lens Pulse step itself. I'll try it again tonight and see if anything changes. Thanks for the upgraded Balrog image. I was having trouble with the right color, so I'll definitely need more practice with it.

By the way, I was looking at some Photoshop books on amazon and came across these three:

https://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Bi...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photos...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photos...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-5

Do you know which one are better suited for a complete novice such myself? Any help would be appreciated.:)

Hmm....it appears that I might be doing something wrong in the Lens Pulse step itself. I'll try it again tonight and see if anything changes. Thanks for the upgraded Balrog image. I was having trouble with the right color, so I'll definitely need more practice with it.

By the way, I was looking at some Photoshop books on amazon and came across these three:

https://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Bi...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photos...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photos...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206980464&sr=1-5

Do you know which one are better suited for a complete novice such myself? Any help would be appreciated.:)

I'm not familiar with any of those books, but if they still publish them, PHOTOSHOP WOW books are very easily to follow. Best option is to walk into a Barnes & Noble or some bookstore and look at the book. The best ones do like FrankenFan is doing here with images of the programs windows as well as the actual artwork, that way you can verify that what you're doing on your PC is correct when you look at the pictures instead of just written instruction.

Another well constructed lesson FF.

Yeah. I'm likin' that Lens Pulse as the perp. Keep us apprised!

I've fallen behind in my book-learnin' in recent years, but I am familiar with earlier editions of two of the books you are considering:

The Bible book is very comprehensive, covering virtually every aspect of the application, but the sheer volume of material might be daunting for a novice. But, definitely keep it on your short-list!

I personally don't care for the Classroom series, but that's just my opinion.

Anything by Deke McClelland or Scott Kelby is usually worth looking into, and you should check out the Dummies book, too.

The WOW! books are fun, but tend to focus more on creating specific images and effects, rather than presenting a total overview of the app. Kinda like my tutorials on steroids. :lol

MaulFan gave some excellent advice: Go to a bookstore, grab a handful of titles, and sit down and explore them. Pick one with an inviting and easy-to-understand writing style, and as MaulFan also said, try to find one with lots of screen caps.

Good luck! When you make your decision, be sure to post the title of the book you settled on, and let us know what you think of it!

I'm not familiar with any of those books, but if they still publish them, PHOTOSHOP WOW books are very easily to follow. Best option is to walk into a Barnes & Noble or some bookstore and look at the book. The best ones do like FrankenFan is doing here with images of the programs windows as well as the actual artwork, that way you can verify that what you're doing on your PC is correct when you look at the pictures instead of just written instruction.

Another well constructed lesson FF.
Thanks, MaulFan. Glad you are enjoying them!

I know... I've thought about getting Dave to change it to at least a capital L, but only a few people have mistaken it for an "i". :lol

As for what suits me, I'm not sure myself. I have a lot of different interests, but most likely it will end up as something Universal related. :D
That's the brand I most closely associate with you, but I know you collect many other lines.

Maybe you should adopt Chaney, Jr's nickname: "The Lonster."

:lol

Back