ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disagree... to me the point of starting the picture thread is to move from the speculative talk about the figure to discussing what it actually looks like in hand.

Its easier for someone who hasn't been following the previous longass thread (this one) to just click and see the first images. And then begin discussing the images with everyone else. But if you really want to guage interest... no better way than a poll.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

The problem with a picture only thread is that pictures stimulate discussion and we'd end up bringing the pictures from the picture thread into the conversation thread...or just using the picture thread for conversation.

For pictures only, you can always create a public gallery similar to the "Indy custom gallery".

The reason I propose seperating the thread when Luke hits is that we can have a clear seperation for all the preorder and waiting hype/speculation with the actual "I've got you now" discussion.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

And I don't know how feasible it is, but you could maybe have a gallery for each figure (new and old releases) with a sticky thread at the top of the forum with links to all of them. That way if you just want images you have them all right at your fingertips.

I don't understand the want to separate the discussion, it's all just one collective discussion about the figure, it's a journey, from the first tease image, through speculation, to seeing the proto shots, to finally seeing production photos and ultimately enjoying the figure. It's like a story; to me splitting the discussion is like taking A New Hope and making one movie leading up to the Falcon landing inside the Death Star and making the rest another movie. Two incomplete haves is lesser to me than a nice solid whole, but what will be will be, that's just my take.

I can see your stance, but for me its a lot harder to go back and search through a 100 page thread for something I remember reading in a giant thread.

If its seperate threads I can remember reading it in the preorder thread or the release thread and search it.

Either way, no biggie!

It would be nice to have a thread thats just pictures. I don't see why we can't have a pic only and a pics and discussion thread. It would really just depend on a posters decision to post their pics twice or not (or someone willing to troll the threads for pics).

It would be nice to have a thread thats just pictures. I don't see why we can't have a pic only and a pics and discussion thread. It would really just depend on a posters decision to post their pics twice or not (or someone willing to troll the threads for pics).

Once someone has pics of ANH Luke in hand let me know and we'll start a PICS ONLY Thread as a tester... Conversation could still be done here.

Why not have a dedicated gallery, a pictures only thread could also be lost pretty fast if only one person has it. Unless you sticky each one for awhile?

I don't understand the want to separate the discussion, it's all just one collective discussion about the figure, it's a journey, from the first tease image, through speculation, to seeing the proto shots, to finally seeing production photos and ultimately enjoying the figure. It's like a story; to me splitting the discussion is like taking A New Hope and making one movie leading up to the Falcon landing inside the Death Star and making the rest another movie. Two incomplete haves is lesser to me than a nice solid whole, but what will be will be, that's just my take.

Again, I think its just easier, especially for people just wanting to discuss the figure in hand. Rebelscum (at least a couple years ago) would just have a long ass thread and it could be a real pain trying to find images compared to what goes on here with the seperate discussion threads.

Re: Pics: 12" Luke Skywalker - Episode IV

Its obvious why it was changed. To produce Luke with the proto tunic would have taken the price beyond the price point Sideshow sets for these things. If it would create a figure above the set price point, they need to cut corners.

It sucks, but thats the way they do things.

I probably would have since it most likely would have had to be shipped to China. So they found the next closest thing there and went with that. I'm not sure I'd go as low as saying they where cutting corners or that this is a regular thing with SS.

Well one thing that could be going on too is, it seems like Sideshow sets out to find the right fabric to assemble the prototypes, then worry about matching it for production after the fact. I think that came up about the clothing for Gandalf, that they found the right stuff for the scale to do the proto then set out to source enough for production. Perhaps one step would be to stop making the protos as standalones and to even make them overseas where the source fabrics are, find your best option for the production piece and use it for the prototype.

Its a rare figure that doesn't have a change in materials from prototype to production Josh. This is the standard at Sideshow. They have said it themselves. If production of a certain piece will take a product above the price point Sideshow sets, they have to find an alternative. There is nothing shameful about it and there is also nothing wrong with pointing that out. So I don't think I was saying anything "low" against them. Just pointing out a fact of life.

Its a rare figure that doesn't have a change in materials from prototype to production Josh. This is the standard at Sideshow. They have said it themselves. If production of a certain piece will take a product above the price point Sideshow sets, they have to find an alternative. There is nothing shameful about it and there is also nothing wrong with pointing that out. So I don't think I was saying anything "low" against them. Just pointing out a fact of life.

Which enhances my idea that they should just source the production materials at the time of making the prototype, that way they don't run into issues where they find they can't get the best material and meet the price the PPO the figure at.

I agree its one of those business facts, that something always changes, I just gotta believe there was SOMETHING SOMEWHERE better than what they chose.

Well one thing that could be going on too is, it seems like Sideshow sets out to find the right fabric to assemble the prototypes, then worry about matching it for production after the fact. I think that came up about the clothing for Gandalf, that they found the right stuff for the scale to do the proto then set out to source enough for production. Perhaps one step would be to stop making the protos as standalones and to even make them overseas where the source fabrics are, find your best option for the production piece and use it for the prototype.

I agree they should try to use the same materials they'll be using on the production or might end up using and go with that.

We do tend to have a change in the outfits with each figure. However, I think thats more to the difficulty in finding the material in China. Which like you said they've said themselves. I think saying they're cutting corners its unfair and thats what I was pointing out as low. Cutting corners signifies they don't care about the figures they deliver, but I think we know they're one company does.

I think it's a flaw in their methods that holds them back from being regarded in the same ways as Hot Toys. They have great sculptors at SSC, their tailoring is improving, they're developing new base bodies. If Sideshow can improve the overall quality of production painting to have more life to it than some pieces end up with, and can establish stronger consistency from proto to production with cloth materials, they'd be phenominal. I think people forget when comparing Sideshow to Medicom and Hot Toys that the latter 2 have their primary facilities and production houses in the same region and have advantages in that. Sideshow's primary folks work in the U.S. with designated folks overseas running that. If the move prototype clothing fabrication to an overseas facility, that'll significantly lessen the "it's not like the prototype" issues.

One thing: If HT had showed us the Luke proto with the right tunic fabric, you can bet your life that the production tunic would be the precise same fabric. :lecture

There have been a few instances when SSC shows us a prototype and people moan about it, that something changes and they do it better for the production.

I'm sure had SSC shown us this tunic as the proto that there would have been a lot of complaining and it may have been fixed.

One thing: If HT had showed us the Luke proto with the right tunic fabric, you can bet your life that the production tunic would be the precise same fabric. :lecture

I don't know if I'd bet my life, but certainly house, car and money. HT's made changes before, but 90% of the time what you see is what you get or better. Again though, I think having all their facilities in the same region really pays off in that regard.

Back