• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be professional about it, factor it into your selling price, don't sucker me in to threads telling me something is "x" price and then add the rider of (plus 4% more for fees).

Paypal fees are and always have been a sellers fee. Not sure some of the folk here seem to realise that.

I do factor it in, but more often than not am asked to go lower anyway by the prospective buyer so it feels moot :dunno

Despite this disclaimer I continuously see fee sellers asking for the buyer to pay the 3% fees. Why do sellers think this burden should be on the buyers? As someone who sells and either accounts for the fees in the price (or pay the fees myself since I usually have to haggle) it makes me much less likely to buy anything from someone else since I feel like I'm the one paying the fees when buying and selling.

Despite this disclaimer I continuously see fee sellers asking for the buyer to pay the 3% fees. Why do sellers think this burden should be on the buyers? As someone who sells and either accounts for the fees in the price (or pay the fees myself since I usually have to haggle) it makes me much less likely to buy anything from someone else since I feel like I'm the one paying the fees when buying and selling.

The disclaimer is to not pay by gift, a buyer is entitled to ask for the 3% if the they wish. But I agree with you, I never ask buyers of what I'm selling to pay the fees and I walk away from any sale where the seller asks for the 4% fees.

I build the fees into my prices, however if someone is haggling and asking for lower prices that usually end up being a shade over 10%, I will ask that the contingency of me accepting a lesser price is that the fees are added onto that lower price.

I've also had a ton of pleasant gift transactions. Paid others that way without a problem so far (won't for just anyone) and have been paid as gift many times and never flaked out on anyone.

There are several things that go into the seller's cost such as, labor, talent, materials, shipping (if shipping is included) and of course any fees (Paypal). The math is simple, add everything up and price it accordingly. The only time I ask for a "Gift" payment is when I have an international customer who does not want to pay for the cost of trackable shipping (Registered Mail). Then if they pays as gift I can send it First Class and let them take the risk. Luckily the USPS hasn't lost one yet, but don't underestimate them. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I build the fees into my prices, however if someone is haggling and asking for lower prices that usually end up being a shade over 10%, I will ask that the contingency of me accepting a lesser price is that the fees are added onto that lower price.

I've also had a ton of pleasant gift transactions. Paid others that way without a problem so far (won't for just anyone) and have been paid as gift many times and never flaked out on anyone.

I had someone haggle me down to a lower price and as I recall they said they would pay the paypal fees, I didn't even mention them. I receive payment and.....fees weren't paid :dunno

I just left it, whatever, didn't want to get into an argument.

Do Paypal guarantee to refund non-receipt of goods now ? as before if i remember rightly if there is no money in said persons account you get nothing.

Only asking as i currently have a £510 dispute that i've just escalated to a claim as it's looking like i've been scammed by a member on here. Paid with my Paypal balance aswell, so no credt card back-up there.

I'm fuming at the moment. :mad:

I give buyers the option to send payment as a gift if they want the item cheaper (or they can cover the fees). I've been on the forums for basically a decade, and I'm not ripping anyone off. In my opinion, it's up to the buyer to decide how they want to pay. Only a handful have decided to pay via "gift", but they got their items and are happy (and saved money)!

If the seller has been on the forums for only a brief time, has a low post count, etc....then you are insane to send payment as a gift.

I give buyers the option to send payment as a gift if they want the item cheaper (or they can cover the fees). I've been on the forums for basically a decade, and I'm not ripping anyone off. In my opinion, it's up to the buyer to decide how they want to pay. Only a handful have decided to pay via "gift", but they got their items and are happy (and saved money)!

If the seller has been on the forums for only a brief time, has a low post count, etc....then you are insane to send payment as a gift.

Likewise. But I do agree that "gift" is a bad idea if the seller has 3 posts and a new membership.
I don't see the problem giving a "gift" "accept fees" option if the seller is established. It's just a way of saving money for both parties.

ok well from my personal experience and naivety and stupidity, don't send any money by paypal friends and family to someone you do not know for a large value.

I did it once using my bank account to their bank account using paypal and never got the item nor my money back.

Did it "AGAIN" but this time having some concern that I did not know the person. But this time was a little less stupid and used my credit card. Hey presto another scammer or should I say scummer! BUT, got my money back after some hassle.

No problem sending money to people I know. Never an issue. But to someone I do not know, never again.

Take it from me, I am still smarting from it as is my pride and my bank account. Sadly destroys your trust in people but too many arseholes about and not so many good people sadly. you just do not know who you are talking to or if they even have the model you are after.

I should have asked the scummer to take another photo of the item from another angle and send it me to prove he had it but never the less, DONT GO THROUGH THE PAIN AND HASSLE AND STRESS WHICH I HAVE BEEN THROUGH> MINE IS A CLEAR CUT WARNING CASE> ONLY SEND TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY IF YOU TRUST AND KNOW SOMEONE NEVER USE YOUR BANK TO TRANSFER AND IF YOU ARE THAT NAIVE< USE A CREDIT CARD TO TRY FOR SOME PROTECTION CAUSE PAYPAL DONT GET A DAMN THIS WAY NO PROTECTION FULL STOP!!!!!

I do not know what thread to put it in but I'll put it here,if a moderator sees well that he moves it, that he does it, thanks,It's been a few years but it's been very bad because of him,but I'm still in the deadline and I'm going to denounce and some friends will help me it,is the forero is WhisperCloud,I was looking for the sideshow taun taun 1/6,and he to me by private he offered,I paid 380 usd by pay pal friendly mode(I was silly)I talked to him every day around here and he sent me a fake mailing sheet,until one day I do not answer,and until today,today I wrote again and he answered me,answering this
"Hello. Excuse me but who are you? What did I do wrong, to you? I really dont understand what is going on? If you can explain it to me would be nice."
I had a hard time, since I had to borrow money,that is, pay double for nothing,I have saved all messages, data and I will report tomorrow, you know .. care with WhisperCloud

I do not know what thread to put it in but I'll put it here,if a moderator sees well that he moves it, that he does it, thanks,It's been a few years but it's been very bad because of him,but I'm still in the deadline and I'm going to denounce and some friends will help me it,is the forero is WhisperCloud,I was looking for the sideshow taun taun 1/6,and he to me by private he offered,I paid 380 usd by pay pal friendly mode(I was silly)I talked to him every day around here and he sent me a fake mailing sheet,until one day I do not answer,and until today,today I wrote again and he answered me,answering this
"Hello. Excuse me but who are you? What did I do wrong, to you? I really dont understand what is going on? If you can explain it to me would be nice."
I had a hard time, since I had to borrow money,that is, pay double for nothing,I have saved all messages, data and I will report tomorrow, you know .. care with WhisperCloud

I'm talking to him to solve the problem

They charge me a ton for cashing checks/m.o so i dont accept them , also would prefer gift on super rare autographs

Back