GIMLI Customs...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I have been saving it all this time. :)

Mine's sitting in my head box unpainted. I might finish it one day if the Amus toys figures turn out good.

Looks great Pix! You done good sitting on that sculpt for so long :lecture

Looks great. Someday I need to take pics of my custom Gimli.

WOW -- 2009. Seems like another era. That was a really fun project, surprised so many still have theirs incomplete.

Ski did a great job on the paintwork, Pix! :clap

Wow, just finished all 150 pages of this thread. It was really cool to see the brainstorming to get the custom recipe down pat.

Yep, its one of the best aspects of this forum; when members come together in a positive way to create. Good luck with yours... it's a fun build. But Star Puffs has a point; seems like you are only a couple months or so away from seeing the Asmus Gimli. You know as soon as you get all your parts, then the reveal will come.

Not necessarily a waste. Gimli hasn't been announced and notice they are currently using kp bodies so I would be surprised to see gimli early in the line

Honestly, I don't own any Sideshow LOTR figures, but I've always loved Gimli and bought the ToyBiz version when I was in college (which I subsequently lost). Gimli sounds like a fun figure to work on.

The only problem, is that now I'm looking to pick up a couple LOTR figures :slap . I purchased Art Figures "The King" and am trying to track down a Boromir figure at a reasonable price... I also preordered Asmus Toys' Witch King figure, so I'm slowly getting sucked in...

Got my DiD Gimli today and I also have the Toy Biz "soft" version, so it's time to start on my custom Gimli! :yess:

A couple of things I noticed with the DiD Gimli:
- the base body is exactly like the regular (old) DiD body, except the shins have a section cut out of them. Everything else is identical, which is a relief in case I screw up the Gimli body; I have a ton of those old DiD bodies laying around.

- the Double-bladed axe head fell off of the staff portion. It looks like the wood staff deteriorated at the base of the axe head. Disappointing, but I might be able to make a new staff...

OK, now that I've disassembled both Gimli figures, I'm a bit confused as to how to attach the "soft" Gimli head to the DiD body.
I've been referring to thenammagazine's and pixletwin's excellent TUTORIAL but, unfortunately, the picture with the head fitting onto the neck won't load. It looks like he trimmed the DiD neck post down until it fit into the slot of the "soft" Gimli, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking about putting a Bionicle ball-joint there, but that might make his neck too long...

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited:
Actually it's Thenam and PIXLETWIN's excellent tutorial (I took the pictures). :lecture

That is exactly what we did. We trimmed down the neck post so the Gimli head would fit on it.

Actually it's Thenam and PIXLETWIN's excellent tutorial (I took the pictures). :lecture

That is exactly what we did. We trimmed down the neck post so the Gimli head would fit on it.

Oh cool, my bad. I've edited my post.

Thanks for the update. I'll try trimming the neck post down.

Modifying that body was a huge pain. It took me forever to remove the mid torso section and then I couldn't get the upper body back together tight enough to hold the arms in place. I ended up wrapping the arms in tape to increase the friction, which seems to work for now. I also had to wrap the upper torso in tape so it won't pop apart. I might try just trimming down the legs and arms next time.

Finally finished my Gimli custom:

Size Comparison shot:

I decided to give him ball-jointed wrists for a bit of added articulation. I stuck with the DiD boots since the ToyBiz "soft" Gimli's boots are solid and at at a weird angle.

I also stuck with the DiD chainmail - I don't mind it in person. Also, the Ignite chainmail is impossible to find now, unfortunately.

Other than that, it's the standard formula:

Toy Biz:
Head, helmet, double-bladed axe (my DiD double-bladed axe broke); hands/gauntlets

DiD:
Everything else - uniform, axes, boots, chainmail, overcoat, belt, etc.

Time to bump this thread after 4 years of inactivity...!!!

FINALLY got my hands on a DID Gimli after many years of searching, so here is my custom figure with a repainted ToyBiz head (paint by Mark Simpson):

GIMLI.jpg

Well done. That's basically the same recipe for mine.

The "chain mail" left a lot of silver dust all over the figure so I'm in the process of cleaning it up.

Gimli 1.jpg

Back