Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise Merchandise Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Thread

Do you mean on the long coat? Because I can see that, but the detail on the vest (little buttons and what not) and pants are just so much more intricate.

The Medicom figure seems to be in the simplified RAH style. Whereas, to me, the HT version looks more lived-in and real world. Although one other thing, the hat on the Medicom figure does sit a bit better than HTs. But still Medicom will be going to live with someone else... sadly they don't sell for crap right now :monkey2

Ya, I meant the long outter coat. I am with you that everything is more worn looking with HT. His white shirt has a lot of stains too that work great, even the sash, his coat, much more appropriate for Pirates figures than fresh and clean, some properties can get away without being weathered but Pirates needs it. I forgot to mention, I'm same way, Medi's hat is all around better, shape, size, fit on head, texture, but HT's is still alright. I still have my Medi Jack, 2 actually, I'm long-term working on the 2nd with custom work, I also have a 12" NECA Jack, I just love the Jack Sparrow character :)

I fully plan on getting the v2 Jack when he is released ( I just pray I have the money at the time). I'm hope I get the v1 for Christmas, otherwise I probably will just have v2. The only other characters I would plan on getting are Barbossa and Davy Jones. At the triple-Sideshow-price point, I really can only get my favorite characters. If they were the $50-70 price, I'd probably get them all. Oh, I know the quality is much higher, but still, when you think about it:

Palpatine + Darth Sidious = 1 Jack Sparrow

So I'll be very pick and choosey unless there are just some fantastic deals on the others (under $100).

Ok, so as my mind is busy, I feel like doing out a list of possible future figures.

Davy Jones ***
Hector Barbossa ***
Gibbs ***
Ragetti ***
Pintel ***
Tia Dalma
Bootstrap Bill ***
James Norrington
Cutler Beckett
Cannibal Island Native
Davy Jones Crew Members
Cursed Pirates (Dead Forms)
Captain Teague ***

Now, that would be for fresh figures, certainly for currently done characters

COTBP
Captain Jack Sparrow
Will Turner
Elizabeth Swann

DMC
Will Turner ***
Elizabeth Swann ***

That's about everyone I figure has a shot at getting the figure treatment, though Beckett was a suggestion by The Mike, I really don't think his character at all warrants a figure and don't think HT would see him as much a seller, he was a good subtle villain and counterpoint to Jack, but nothing about him was all that interesting to want a $130 figure of him, nor were his clothes anything spectacular. Even Norrington I think is iffy, but I could almost see a DMC version to recreate the Jack-Will-Norrington duel. The starred names are the ones I imagine will get made. I'd love to see a Marty the pirate, but even the new HT-Sideshow child body isn't small enough for him.

V1 Jack will be here Monday from AE! WooHoo!!:chew

So there are stains on his shirt? It still looks very white too me in pics as does his sash. I'm thinking about making them a bit more "old worn white" in color when I get mine.

V1 Jack will be here Monday from AE! WooHoo!!:chew

So there are stains on his shirt? It still looks very white too me in pics as does his sash. I'm thinking about making them a bit more "old worn white" in color when I get mine.

Wait til you get him in hand, the staining of his shirt is very subtle, BUT, it's a good subtle, believeable, anything more than what they did might look like too much. The stains are like a creamy coffee shade, light tan

Wait til you get him in hand, the staining of his shirt is very subtle, BUT, it's a good subtle, believeable, anything more than what they did might look like too much. The stains are like a creamy coffee shade, light tan

I was thinking what isn't stained would be too white. His shirt appears to be almost off white on film and photos. But like you said, with him in hand I may decide differently.

I was thinking what isn't stained would be too white. His shirt appears to be almost off white on film and photos. But like you said, with him in hand I may decide differently.

You'll be blown away, dumb as it sounds, the weathering on Jack is almost an artwork in and of itself, without being part of a whole figure, they really did a nice job on it, doesn't seem toyish at all.

You'll be blown away, dumb as it sounds, the weathering on Jack is almost an artwork in and of itself, without being part of a whole figure, they really did a nice job on it, doesn't seem toyish at all.

I really can't wait now. V2 and Will are pretty much a done deal as it is too.

I really can't wait now. V2 and Will are pretty much a done deal as it is too.

Ya, I was pretty sure I'd get Will at the announcement, my only real reservation was which incarnation because for AWE, the one they chose is the only one I'd get, and they've done it best anyone could, and anything fantastic that's Jack Sparrow I'm game for too, so v2, v3, v4, I'll get em all, then recreate multiple Jacks scene haha.

Ya, I was pretty sure I'd get Will at the announcement, my only real reservation was which incarnation because for AWE, the one they chose is the only one I'd get, and they've done it best anyone could, and anything fantastic that's Jack Sparrow I'm game for too, so v2, v3, v4, I'll get em all, then recreate multiple Jacks scene haha.

Your a sick, sick man.:lol

Your a sick, sick man.:lol

Me, I'm dishonest, and a dishonet man you can always count on to be dishonest, honestly. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for, you never know when they might do something incredibly, stupid.

Ok, so as my mind is busy, I feel like doing out a list of possible future figures.

Davy Jones ***
Hector Barbossa ***
Gibbs ***
Ragetti ***
Pintel ***
Tia Dalma
Bootstrap Bill ***
James Norrington
Cutler Beckett
Cannibal Island Native
Davy Jones Crew Members
Cursed Pirates (Dead Forms)
Captain Teague ***

Of that rather complete list, I would buy Jones, Barbossa, Tia Dalma (DMC only), and any creature crew members.

In particular from Jones Crew, I'd like Maccus and Greenbeard (Greenbeard's actually my favorite, I love seaweed monsters!).

Same. I'll get any and all Jacks released (although that goes for the entire HT Pirates line). Got all released, so far. Need to order v2 Sao, though...

Josh, I'm curious to see what you think of AWE.

My thought:

A little slow at first. It took me about 20-30 mins to get into the flick. The rest of the time I loved it. It was on par with the first one IMO. WAY better than part two which was good because I thought 2 was a little weak. The trilogy as a whole is one of the best IMO. I'd give this film a thumbs up.

:lol I keep forgetting about that multiple Jack scene. I've bought all of NECA's 8" Jack figures because it is just easier(and cheaper) to order a set online than in stores. So I have quite a few Jacks now. When I first saw that scene, I thought "Sweet! I all my extra Jacks have a purpose now!"

Oh, I guess I'd buy Capt. Teague now that I think of it, and maybe the Jones/Barbossa Crews if they look good.

Crap.

Congrats on your impending delivery Coco! Thats two in our town :rock

I think for future figures I'd really only be in for Davey and Barbosa... past that the price point and my interest (although I really like the movies) just won't justify it.

Although cursed pirates (skeletal or fishy) might get me back to the table :naughty

The price points a bugger for me too but I can just imagine how cool a whole display case devoted to HT POTC figs would look.

I'm having to wipe the drool from my chin just thinking about it.

Pirates of the Caribbean is currently my second all time favorite series of films after Star Wars, I just love the adventure, the comedy, the characters, it's a world I'd love to be in, so if these figures starting getting released frequently and of characters I want and done well, I see myself pushing other things aside to get these.

Pirates of the Caribbean is currently my second all time favorite series of films after Star Wars, I just love the adventure, the comedy, the characters, it's a world I'd love to be in, so if these figures starting getting released frequently and of characters I want and done well, I see myself pushing other things aside to get these.

As much as I love this Trilogy 4 me there are only a few that I want. Though after watching it I am considering Sao Feng but will probably hold off. LOTR is and always will be #1 for me so that's where my collecting starts, then SW, then Indy, and finally POTC.

As much as I like POTC, for me it doesn't have the impact that SW and LOTR and even stand alone films like Conan and Blade Runner have. I do like it, but its not even in my top ten. So, less buying for me.

If you guys want I'll leave the room now :monkey2

Back