Statue Mamegyorai---1/3 scale ALIEN Quadrilogy Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn nice, congrats!
It's a thing of beauty. Congratulations again!
Looks great brother! What did you do to finesse the dome?
Thanks! I initially used a hair dryer, but in the end I don't think it really needed it. I had the wrong idea about how it should fit. I basically just had to pull one side of the dome out to get it "over the hump" on the other side of the head. After I did that it snapped into place. I had no luck pulling on both sides like they show in the assembly video on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I bought one and it arrived in good shape. Except for the dome. It doesn’t fit snug to the seam. I tried twisting and pulling and readjusting the fit. Nope. Definitely warped. I watching their video where the guy just tugs both sides out at the same time and it easily snap-locks into place. Boy, mine sure doesn’t do that! I got my wife’s hairdryer and started heating up the dome while I held it in place with my hands. I’ve done this before on other, warped, model kit parts so I have a good idea what to do. The only difference was the head was already mounted to the body and I couldn’t (nor would I think it wise) dip the dome into cold water to “freeze” the heated dome into its new shape. I tried about six times to heat the dome and reshape it. I got it CLOSER but just couldn’t get it to stay flush to the seam. In the process of doing this I scratched the dome at about the halfway point against those pointy-ridges running vertically down the length of the head. To add to the scratch, I noticed by holding the dome up to the light I had created a distortion area from the heat from the repeated use of the hairdryer. Damn, this was frustrating! Tried the double-sided tape. That didn’t work either. I contacted Sideshow to see if getting a replacement dome was possible. Nope. All out of replacement stock. I could get a complete refund or a Sideshow gift card for about 20 percent of the purchase price. Well, aside from the dome fit, I love the statue and wanted to keep it. So I accepted their offer of the gift card. The scratch is small enough so I can live with it. The small heat-distortion area on the dome doesn’t show unless you angle it ‘just so.’ I still need to get the dome to fit right and I’m thinking about using some kind of epoxy to permanently mount it in place. What would you guys do? Is contacting Mamegyorai a possibility? Ask them for just a replacement dome? I don’t speak or read Japanese. I don’t even know who I’d contact there. Any advice would be appreciated.

@rosscarlan

Here is their contact page:
Original:https://mamegyorai.jp/html/how_to_order/law.html
Using Google Translate: https://translate.googleusercontent...700283&usg=ALkJrhh0Z5IOtDnnwBJ1nwJtyApeqkclXg

There, you will find their order desk contact email. You could send them an email both in English and Japanese (translate your English version to Japanese with Google Translate for example). Like this you should be able to get in touch with them and they should be able to understand you.

I also had to replace one part of my Mamegyorai Big Chap and they were really helpful and fast in sending me a replacement part.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and help me. You’re awesome! I’ll send Mamegyorai an email and use the Google translation link you provided. Thanks again!

IMG_3067.jpgIMG_3066.jpg

Have anyone else had problems with smudges and scratches on the clear dome? Mine was both warped and smudged/scratched. But since mine was the last from sideshows warehouse, bought through wait list, I bet there is no chance of getting replacement.
Feel kind of bummed about this. I really looked forward to this very fine sculpted statue.

Have anyone else had problems with smudges and scratches on the clear dome? Mine was both warped and smudged/scratched. But since mine was the last from sideshows warehouse, bought through wait list, I bet there is no chance of getting replacement.
Feel kind of bummed about this. I really looked forward to this very fine sculpted statue.
Mamegyorai told me they only provide replacement parts for pieces purchased in Japan. You'll have to go to Sideshow for help. Maybe they can get Mamegyorai's help.

Also if those are on the outside of the dome you might try some rubbing alcohol and a cloth or paper towel to buff it out. Rub in concentric circles for a bit. Might clean right up for you. [emoji6]

View attachment 479908View attachment 479909

Hi Moviefan, if Sideshow can't replace this for you there may be a way around it similar to what has been previously suggested. Dependant upon what type on material the dome is made from it may be possible to sand and polish the dome to remove the scratches/marks. I have an article on restoring scratched clear canopies on model aircraft. Incredibly on some clear plastics it can work. PM me if you need a copy. I may be able to scan some images.

I’m sorry, but simply unacceptable for such an expensive item.

It’s beautiful and all...but so glad I passed getting one.

There are ways of fixing that, but you shouldn't have to really for what you paid. Contact Sideshow and see what they can do.

Mamegyorai told me they only provide replacement parts for pieces purchased in Japan. You'll have to go to Sideshow for help. Maybe they can get Mamegyorai's help.

Also if those are on the outside of the dome you might try some rubbing alcohol and a cloth or paper towel to buff it out. Rub in concentric circles for a bit. Might clean right up for you. [emoji6]

Thank you for the tip!

I tried something like this, but it won't come off. It seems like the "smudges" are due to some damage to the clear coat on the dome. Just give it a polish won't be enough. Don't know if the damage comes from transporting the statue or in manufacturing. It almost looks like someone clear coated the dome, then touched it before it was completely dry.

I guess I could try to give it another clear coat and see if that works, but I'm a bit afraid of screwing things up even more.

Hi Moviefan, if Sideshow can't replace this for you there may be a way around it similar to what has been previously suggested. Dependant upon what type on material the dome is made from it may be possible to sand and polish the dome to remove the scratches/marks. I have an article on restoring scratched clear canopies on model aircraft. Incredibly on some clear plastics it can work. PM me if you need a copy. I may be able to scan some images.

That sounds very interesting!

I just might take up on your offer on that article. I have actually done something like that way back in the day on an alien dome belonging to the old MPC model kit of the Alien, in order to repaint it. My concern is that both the MPC alien dome and canopies for plastic model planes are made of a hard clear plastic, while the dome for Mamegyorais Alien seem softer and more elastic. Almost like it's based on some kind on vinyl.

Don't know if the same techniques applies.

There are ways of fixing that, bu you shouldn't have to really for what you paid. Contact Sideshow and see what they can do.

Sideshow have been contacted, awaiting reply.

But in all honesty, I don't really expect sideshow to be able to supply me with a replacement part for the dome. I mean, they should, but I suspect the answer will be that their supply is out and that they are unable to take things further by asking Mamegyorai.

Then perhaps they will offer me reward points or something like that. Not what you would like to expect at this price point.

Thank you for the tip!

I tried something like this, but it won't come off. It seems like the "smudges" are due to some damage to the clear coat on the dome. Just give it a polish won't be enough. Don't know if the damage comes from transporting the statue or in manufacturing. It almost looks like someone clear coated the dome, then touched it before it was completely dry.

I guess I could try to give it another clear coat and see if that works, but I'm a bit afraid of screwing things up even more.
Ah, in that case if the dome is made from a softer material then you're quite right, unfortunately the technique won't work.

Maybe try some Goo Gone on a microfiber cloth? I had similar smudge marks on the dome of my Prime1 Dog Alien, and was able to get them completely off by gently rubbing the spots with a microfiber cloth with a small amount of Goo Gone for a little bit. It took a few minutes of gentle rubbing, but it worked. Worth a shot.

How long did it take to get? It's been waitlisted for a long time.

Not really sure when I joined the wait list. But it wasn't long after it had sold out.

Before I received it sideshow sent me the wrong item. For some reason my big Alien statue got mixed up with a small "spider Gwen" statue (I think) and they put my shipping label on the wrong parcel. I had to return the delivered statue before they could green light the right one. I was very worried they had shipped my $2k Alien statue to someone else. After a couple of weeks not hearing from them they told me it had come to their attention that my statue had a damaged art box and that they had to open it to examen the statue inside. They also told me this was the last statue i their supply.

I thought it was strange that this wasn't brought up the first time around, which makes me wonder if indeed the statue that was supposed to get delivered to me actually ended up somewhere else, and I instead got this last damaged goods.

These things happens of course. But after waiting and hoping for so long on the wait list, getting the message I had the opportunity to finally get it seemed almost to good to be true. And sometimes it is.

Back