FrankenFan's Photoshop Fundamentals — Sig Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nicely done, that's great how you even posted shots of the photoshop menus and such. Actually a few things going on in the graphic that I've seen in many PS compositions that I've wanted to replicate but never been good at achieving so this will help as practice, thanks for doing that. If I can think of particular things I do that I can teach in the same way, I'll put it together like you've done.

that is so pimp dude thank you for breaking it down! I always wondered how people do complex multilayer stuff like that using images from various sources. good stuff!

Do you plan on doing more of these little tutorials?

Thanks Kurt! Finally, a much needed sig tutorial! :cool:

Your work :rock bro...without a shadow of a doubt!

I don't have the photoshop program yet.

I was also wondering how to change the font of my pre existing signature below:

TDFjoker.gif

You deserve some serious :bow :bow :bow FrankenFan!

Very nicely done, that's great how you even posted shots of the photoshop menus and such. Actually a few things going on in the graphic that I've seen in many PS compositions that I've wanted to replicate but never been good at achieving so this will help as practice, thanks for doing that. If I can think of particular things I do that I can teach in the same way, I'll put it together like you've done.
Glad the screen caps were helpful, MaulFan, and you found some of the techniques touched upon in the tutorial applicable to your own work! Looking forward to seeing you reveal some of your favorite Photoshop techniques, soon!

awesome , awesome , awesome.
Thanks alot man , a really big help !!.
Thanks dude !! :rock
You're welcome, uscmhicks! You already have a very recognizable signature style (no pun intended!) of your own, and I look forward to seeing how your work progresses!

Do you plan on doing more of these little tutorials?
If enough board members are interested in seeing them continue, I would be encouraged to contribute more. To paraphrase a famous line of movie dialog, "If they come, I will build it."

As I asked above, what other types of tutorials are you interested in seeing?

I don't have the photoshop program yet.

I was also wondering how to change the font of my pre existing signature below:

TDFjoker.gif
An excellent free alternative to Photoshop is GIMP. It comes in both Mac and PC flavors, and has extensive online help supported by a large community of GIMP users. Well-worth checking out!

Regarding the Joker sig, if you have the original PSD file and the type is on its own layer, simply click and drag with the Type tool to select the text, then choose a new font from the Options bar.

If you don't have the original PSD file, or if the type has been merged with the individual frames of the animation, I would suggest rebuilding the sig from scratch. You could use the Clone tool to "clone-out" or "erase" the text on each individual frame, but that would be rather tedious work and, I think, more time-consuming than simply starting over.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again, guys!

Franken Fan, I think you missed step 6. after step 5 you posted step 4 again, then the next one says step 7. :cool:

Very cool tutorial. I had fun messing around with the various effects! Everything was clear and easy to follow. The only tricky part was to figure out sometimes which keys are used in the non-mac versions of PS CS2 which I have. Put this one together on the fly, i hope to make a nicer one later. Thanks again Frankenfan, I cant wait for more tuts from you. Maybe text effects or overall effects....border designs....etc. :)

supes_sig.gif

I am going to give this a try once the weekend rolls around. FrankenFan, can you make a tutorial for how to make a .gif image as well? That would be greatly appreciated.:D

I like that idea.

Maybe a spin off tutorial on how to animate Iron Man's eyes and chest pulsate with lights. :D:D

Very cool tutorial. I had fun messing around with the various effects! Everything was clear and easy to follow. The only tricky part was to figure out sometimes which keys are used in the non-mac versions of PS CS2 which I have. Put this one together on the fly, i hope to make a nicer one later. Thanks again Frankenfan, I cant wait for more tuts from you. Maybe text effects or overall effects....border designs....etc. :)

supes_sig.gif
Good job, Nash! It's great that you took the initiative to create something original, and I like the "storytelling" elements you've chosen for your middleground images.

I'm not sure what the disc-like image that dominates the background is, and it's so much "hotter" in color than Supes, himself, that my eye tends to be drawn to the background rather than him. If I may make a suggestion — and I am about to whether you like it or not :) — I'd go for a more neutral element for the main background image, i.e., zoom in on the Daily Planet globe.

Keep at and keep posting your progress! :duff

Specifically, what keyboard commands were giving you trouble?

I am going to give this a try once the weekend rolls around. FrankenFan, can you make a tutorial for how to make a .gif image as well? That would be greatly appreciated.:D

I like that idea.

Maybe a spin off tutorial on how to animate Iron Man's eyes and chest pulsate with lights. :D:D
Excellent suggestion, guys! Stay tuned!

WOW!! This is a great tutorial!!! i just found this thread so have not had time to go through it. But I have Photoshop Elements 5.0. Will this tutorial work for it???

Good job, Nash! It's great that you took the initiative to create something original, and I like the "storytelling" elements you've chosen for your middleground images.

I'm not sure what the disc-like image that dominates the background is, and it's so much "hotter" in color than Supes, himself, that my eye tends to be drawn to the background rather than him. If I may make a suggestion — and I am about to whether you like it or not :) — I'd go for a more neutral element for the main background image, i.e., zoom in on the Daily Planet globe.

Keep at and keep posting your progress! :duff

Specifically, what keyboard commands were giving you trouble?

Thanks frankenfan! the background is the bottom piece of superman's S symbol. I really didnt know what to use so I just took a crop of that. Im not very good at improvising as I don't really know how to use effects all that well. Im better at following instructions hehe.

PS: going back to the animated lights thing... would you be able to give me some advice on how to make the kryptonian text in my sig pulsate? I'd like to keep superman, and possibly the clark and daily planet pics, but maybe find something new for the background too. but i think it would be cool to have the text glow :)

Last edited:
Back