Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast
    Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Default Hot Toys rubber deterioration

deterioration is the nightmare we are all waiting to happen
    but how do we prevent it?
    i only just started collecting hot toys a few months ago and I soon became aware of the risks of buying hot toys and suffering the dreaded rubber deterioration. now i am looking for a solution to this problem to prevent any damage before it happens.
    i learned about how UV rays damage the colors on them so i blacked out my windows and got LED lights.
    I learned how dust can also discolor collectibles so i bought display cases for them. (good old detolfs)
    now i am in search of the solution to the third and what i believe to be final problem.
    I read somewhere that hot toys was working on a solution to this issue but does anybody know if they succeeded?
    does silicone spray really work?
    what other solutions do people know of?

Super Freak
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    You sound a bit too OCD about your toys imo. Keep ' em in your detolfs, don't play with them too much and just enjoy them. You can't stop time and sadly nothing lasts forever. No point beating yourself with worry over them..

Super Freak
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Exactly what wanderer said, just enjoy them and quit worrying.
    A REAL HERO

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    do what i did if your that worried and seal the detolf shut! i just placed cellotape along the gaps as neat and tidy as i could! it doesnt show up unless up close! i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i cut 1 or 2 small holes in the cellotape to let in a tiny amount of air!

the results of this mean my shelfs take a couple of months for a tiny dust build up to oocur so i dont have to clean them every 3 weeks like when it wasnt sealed!
    it also means i cant get to repose them as often as id like!

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    i know i personally would prefer not to see thousands of dollars turn to dust.
    i would rather sell them all than do that.

There are been numerous threads discussing this. Some of the older muscle bodies like Rambo are deteriorating/splitting. And of course, ED-209. Then there was the leaking Batman DX suit. It's definitely an issue.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by kl241 Hidden Content
    $DCC: Taking the fun out of collecting since 2005.

dont bend the arms, my co worker educated me on rubber bodies and as a result I personally stay away from them. I like to pose my figures in dynamic poses, but unfortunately if you bend the joints and what not it will deteriorate since stress is being put on the rubber skin. His solution is to have them all in neutral positions or having the arms extended. He never bends the joints, so unfortunately alot of the figures look lame just stading there.

Just either deal with it? Or be more away of which figures you buy, its like not wanting your shoes to yellow, it will happen no matter what.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Why not just buy two of each figure and box one of them?

As much as I'd love to enjoy these things for years to come, and pass them on to my kids and grandkids so they know what a nutter their grand-dad was, I'd prefer to just enjoy them now.
    Last edited by Lejuan; 09-07-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: tie-po

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Hot toys has a solution they are currently implementing on many of their 1/6th scale figures.

this ongoing solution is currently being used on the t2 T-800 figure, Wolverine, and percius.

They've stopped using it as much as possible.
    the only way to avoid deterioration on the HT figures with rubber is not to buy them.
    It's About a Bunch a Brightly colored superhero military guys, teaming up with ninjas, A Real life Pro Wrestler, and a Real Life football player. They Fight a supervillian terrorist organizeation which is lead alternatively by a genetic compiste of earth's greatest historical figures in a hilarious snake-man costume, and a used-car salesman

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by farrrs View Post
    do what i did if your that worried and seal the detolf shut! i just placed cellotape along the gaps as neat and tidy as i could! it doesnt show up unless up close! i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i cut 1 or 2 small holes in the cellotape to let in a tiny amount of air!

the results of this mean my shelfs take a couple of months for a tiny dust build up to oocur so i dont have to clean them every 3 weeks like when it wasnt sealed!
    it also means i cant get to repose them as often as id like!
    i thought about using those packs that come with them in the box too
    it would make sense
    as for the glass of water... not sure how that would help