Titanic 3D 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about Cameron's Titanic these days?

• Excellent film, deserved all its awards

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Very good film, but not quite Best Picture material

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • well....its alright

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Utterly crap

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters
... Production values, set design, photography, sfx and pretty much everything in that regards it's simply amazing...
The story however is pretty crappy... cheesy and ridiculous...
I absolutely hate it in that regards... and I can't stand the score (ironically by James Horner who I like quite a lot) and I despise the Celine Dion song... ughh!! :yuck

So yeah, I won't see it in 3D... :lol

Great post. Sums up my feelings. I hated Leo after that movie and it wasn't until "Catch Me If You Can" that I realized it was just this movie and not him I disliked.

I agree with you Bezzerkerr.

Per the 3D conversion, I was surprised by how much BETTER it was than the 3D conversion Lucas had done on The Phantom Menace. It was really impressive.

I like Titanic, but I think I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to L.A. Confidential. For me, that movie has gotten better over time, while Titanic has remained the same.

I'm always torn with this. I have absolutely zero interest in this specific movie, but have been obsessed with the Titanic since I was about 6, when I got a big picture book of the wreck discovery (which happened a year prior). I was probably the only first grader in my school reading A Night to Remember.

And Cameron is truly legitimate when it comes to Titanic knowledge, as well as having an incredible thirst for discovery. Which is why I am always so astounded at the small and not-so-small changes in the movie he made to real life events on the ship.

A film's quality can only be so high def. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to miss the grittiness of older films

These guys go on and on about how crystal clear and "updated" their conversion process is and I guess I'm sort of sick of it. I'm perfectly content where we are at now and folks still want more HD and now, 3D.

I don't recall people complaining about the quality of the film in 1997, or the grittiness of the likes of Star Wars or Terminator or other 70s or 80s films. Seems like a cash grab.

Omg i agree with this so much!!

Remove the two lead characters and the love story and it's a better film.

yep yep :lecture
that movie could have been so much better if they didn't focus on them so much...

Great post. Sums up my feelings. I hated Leo after that movie and it wasn't until "Catch Me If You Can" that I realized it was just this movie and not him I disliked.

is funny because this movie made totally hate him, so much, then I would hear that he was going to play Spiderman and It made me go crazy, i was like wtf?
I never took him as a serious actor, not until Gangs of New York I saw him as a real actor.
Is funny because I really liked What's Eating Gilbert Grape when I was younger, and I didn't know that was him, I mean, I didn't really know him, so when I saw Titanic I didn't connect the dots, is funny because he was really good in Gilbert, but then Titanic and Romeo and Juliet made me hate him, I felt like he was the "backstreet boys" of acting lol

Titanic, I truly really hate it.I just do, I couldn't even sit through the first time, I barely saw the ending, my family was watching it and I kept looking at a book or something, all I remember is that I saw parts of it and and the end I had to leave..:dunno

Last edited:
And Cameron is truly legitimate when it comes to Titanic knowledge, as well as having an incredible thirst for discovery. Which is why I am always so astounded at the small and not-so-small changes in the movie he made to real life events on the ship.

Thats argueably true, but also debateable. While yes, he does have a huge amount of knowledge about the disaster; he also has a tendency to put those pieces together more like a filmaker than a historian, seeing things as having happened much more dramatic than they probably did. (third class passengers weren't locked below, the Titanic probably did not reach a high angle, ect)
Im not just speaking about the film, but also some of the statements he has made in interviews about the real ship.

I agree with you Bezzerkerr.

Per the 3D conversion, I was surprised by how much BETTER it was than the 3D conversion Lucas had done on The Phantom Menace. It was really impressive.

Thats good to hear. Cameron is as much a technological pioneer as Lucas though and he knows how to use it better too.

Indeed. Regardless of what anyone thinks about the characters the film delivers top notch on the sinking of the ship.

I'm seeing it this weekend with the Mrs.:yess:

I'll be seeing it at the weekend or maybe next week.

I like Titanic, but I think I would have given the Best Picture Oscar to L.A. Confidential. For me, that movie has gotten better over time, while Titanic has remained the same.

LA confidential, I forgot about that one. I knew there was some other big contender that year and I couldn't remember what it was.

Yeah I think that was a good film, but in this case I'm glad the most popular film won.

Last edited:
Thats argueably true, but also debateable. While yes, he does have a huge amount of knowledge about the disaster; he also has a tendency to put those pieces together more like a filmaker than a historian, seeing things as having happened much more dramatic than they probably did. (third class passengers weren't locked below, the Titanic probably did not reach a high angle, ect)
Im not just speaking about the film, but also some of the statements he has made in interviews about the real ship.

Well, third class passengers were gated in at almost all points. But it wasn't to keep them from escaping. It was meant as a quarantine. This way when the ship docked, only the third class passengers would need to get health inspections, which would save a lot of time.

I don't know how high the angle was in the movie, but it peaked at about 10 degrees when the bow finally snapped off.

But with Cameron, I think what probably happened is he took a greater interest in the specifics of the sinking after the film. Because he recently has done things like fund and participate in incredibly in-depth research studies on the physics of how it sank to the bottom. As well as his multiple wreck visits with improved-tech ROVs. The new National Geographic has a great article on this.

I bought that issue and I've been getting a few of the newspaper supplements etc. A lot of archive photographs of the ship docked and leaving port etc that I'd never seen before. They're fascinating to look at and imagine what people were doing inside the ship right in those moments...and then ultimately to think of the whole thing now disintegrating at the bottom of the ocean.

How do you chaps stand on the issue of salvage etc?

How do you chaps stand on the issue of salvage etc?

Hate the idea. I understand that eventually, more of it will be eaten away, and eventually it might be gone entirely. But I greatly prefer that to the looting and man-made damage caused to it. I'm open to slight recovery and preservation, similar to the exhibition at the Luxor, but in very limited amounts.

They mentioned it in the NG article - the group who technically owns the rights to the wreck has even changed their stance on it, going from selling to preserving, which is great. Because that should at least slow down the rate at which items are taken, if not entirely. But much of the damage in the last decade has been as a result of tour submersibles coming in contact with the wreck.

The site is, after all, a grave site, and should be treated as such.

I think I agree with you to an extent. They shouldn't be trying to yank stuff off the actual ship. Picking stuff up from the debris field? Hmmm, maybe that at most (which obviously they have been doing)

I'm not sure I agree that its a grave site strictly speaking. Well its certainly not a grave anyone would have chosen. And isn't that what a grave is? A specific, deliberate place of burial. The Titanic is hardly that. I appreciate that this is probably a unique case though because of how long ago it was and the fact technology to reach the wreck didn't exist in 1912 to run the kind of salvage operation and body recovery that otherwise would surely have been done. Take the recent Concordia disaster - you wouldn't call that a grave site, you recover everything and everyone you can, you don't leave it there. With Titanic though, the sea has owned it for much longer than man did I guess.

Back