Star Wars: Episode IX - What should Rey's origin be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should Rey's origin be?

• She really is a nobody

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • She's a Skywalker

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • She's a Solo

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • She's a Kenobi

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • She's a creation of Snoke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She's a creation of Plagueis

• She's a creation of Snoke, who is Plagueis

• I've stopped caring

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I never cared

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
Here's the interview with Johnson. He says "Kylo believes it to be true" that Rey is a nobody, so I guess that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Johnson also says he was aiming for the opposite of an "I am your father" moment: https://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-last-jedi-spoiler-rey-parents/2/

And here's Simon Pegg saying J.J. had something different in mind: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/04/...plan-for-reys-parentage-before-the-last-jedi/

Well they can turn that lie either way....

No one knew if Vader was telling the truth at the end of ESB....GL put in the whole Yoda scene in ROTJ because people needed to hear from a trusted figure that Vader was truthful.....

The opposite could be done here....Luke appears to tell Rey her real parentage “Luke’s Daughter” ??? Or something else and everything he was doing was to protect her from making the same mistakes he made with Kylo.

I've been saying this since TLJ first hit theaters. Kylo's line is untrue, whether deliberately or not. And it is a twist on expectation based on Vader's line in ESB.

I've been saying this since TLJ first hit theaters. Kylo's line is untrue, whether deliberately or not. And it is a twist on expectation based on Vader's line in ESB.

"Maz never told you who your father is."

"She told me enough, she told me Luke is."

"No....one is your father."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I don't think I ever did.

I just so thankful that its the third and last. These trilogies are getting quite out of hand. Even I don't understand their logic at times.

I think Prime Clone is searching for his favorite movies. I've never seen such devotion in an apologist before. He claims to be a fan of the PT. Is that related to the OT? Do you know what he's talking about?

If Rey's parents were always supposed to be someone important, nothing in TLJ keeps that from happening. JJ Abrams hadn't even finished editing TFA when Rian Johnson started writing the TLJ script (and the two of them were having conversations about what TFA was setting up). Nothing was undone by TLJ.

People treat it as though Kylo wouldn't lie to Rey . . . in a movie where he already lied to her about Luke trying to kill him (and clashing lightsabers with him). [emoji38] Kylo lies. To paraphrase Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn: he's a bad guy . . . that's what they do. At the very least, whatever he did actually see could be nothing more than a mere part of her story - not the entire truth.

Rey was dropped off on Jaaku and handed over to an abusive junk boss (who chased her across the galaxy and threatened her before Chewbacca ripped his arms out in JJ's own deleted TFA scene). So all along, whoever dropped her off didn't worry too much about leaving her safe with someone trustworthy. That was established in TFA, not TLJ!

It makes more sense that, all along, she was sold by "filthy junk traders" to a junk boss who'd turn her into a scavenger. But that doesn't mean that those filthy junk traders were her natural parents. The idea that caring/good parents would leave her with Unkar Plutt is ridiculous. Fans need to realize that some things just shouldn't be revealed until the final act. If her original parents were always meant to be someone important, everything is still in place for that reveal. Nothing has changed. Whether Rey's true parents were "nobodies" or "somebodies" is up to JJ. And it always was.
THIS.

Particularly about how things must be left to the final act. People nowadays have lost even the ability to count. A trilogy has THREE parts. The answers are at 3, not at 2.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

I think Prime Clone is searching for his favorite movies. I've never seen such devotion in an apologist before. He claims to be a fan of the PT. Is that related to the OT? Do you know what he's talking about?

That Clone's just a crazy old man.

:rotfl

THIS.

Particularly about how things must be left to the final act. People nowadays have lost even the ability to count. A trilogy has THREE parts. The answers are at 3, not at 2.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Trouble is, TLJ *feels* like a third-parter, not a second-parter. My only complaint about RJ is that he failed to fulfil his brief of making a middle instalment.

I want to see IX not to find out what happens next, but to see where the heck J.J. can go from here.

Trouble is, TLJ *feels* like a third-parter, not a second-parter. My only complaint about RJ is that he failed to fulfil his brief of making a middle instalment.

I want to see IX not to find out what happens next, but to see where the heck J.J. can go from here.

Of all the complaints about TLJ that get repeated over and over, this one probably confuses me the most. Going into Episode IX, the First Order still hasn't been defeated. In fact, having Kylo be the Supreme Leader now actually makes it more relevant to the Skywalker Saga since he's part of the Skywalker bloodline. We left off with a Resistance on the run and needing to regroup (similar to how the Rebellion was in ESB). We had Luke pull a Kenobi (which happened in the first act of the OT). And we had Rey learn more about the Force - and about her opponent in this trilogy - to set up the deciding conflict (like Luke in ESB). Heck, the topic of this thread is about Rey's lineage, so even that is still perceived as being up in the air. And we still know next to nothing about the Knights of Ren. So, what exactly got resolved already?

The PT was the Anakin trilogy. The OT was the Luke trilogy. The ST is the Ben/Kylo trilogy. Three generations of Skywalker bloodline building, reshaping, and ultimately defining the Skywalker legacy. Anakin and Luke both still have a role to play with Kylo, and with that lasting legacy. Does Kylo die trying to fulfill his grandfather's ambitions? Or does he redeem himself in the spirit of his uncle's example? Which way he goes, and what influence his Skywalker predecessors will have, will determine how the Skywalker Saga ends. The ghost of Luke will almost certainly play a role. Will Anakin's? I'm not seeing how TLJ answered or concluded anything in a way that leaves Episode IX with nothing left to resolve. Quite the opposite for me, actually.

For all we know, Rey ends up being a Solo . . . not by birth, but by marriage. Nothing has been resolved yet.

Kylo seeing who her parents were was probably just another seed planted by Snoke, who was responsible for joining their minds through the force. Hence Kylo actually believing it at the time. I think whoever she is will be tied to that "old ally" that was on Jakku in the beginning of TFA, and possibly with Maz getting Luke's lightsaber.

It feels like an epilogue to TFA.

We left off with a Resistance on the run and needing to regroup (similar to how the Rebellion was in ESB).

That was the entire movie.

I think we may see Snoke had the ability to change perception in others...

This mind link power, could have been used to stoke Kylos paranoia and literally his vision of events around him....

Perception is everything

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Of all the complaints about TLJ that get repeated over and over, this one probably confuses me the most.

The movie ends with "a new hope". Luke's sacrifice is the spark that lights the fire that will burn the First Order down. We see a potential new generation of Jedi. It can be "happily ever after" at that point if we like.

Cue the Johnson trilogy.

Perception is everything

Your focus determines your reality.

Uncle Wor-Gar, Uncle Wor-Gar, what about that OT?

The OT....? The OT.... now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.... a long time.

That Clone's just a crazy old man.

:lol :lol

Now tomorrow I want you to take the OT down to Harmy and have it despecialized. That'll be the end of it.

:clap

If, as KK maintains, the main SW saga is about three generations of the Skywalker family, then the only way this can be Rey's story is if she's (a) a Skywalker, or (b) has the same "maker" as Anakin. Is she the actual Chosen One?

Or maybe she was somehow cloned from Luke's severed hand. That would further the connection to his/Anakin's saber.

Don't care and no it's not because of what's between her legs it's because the character is boring and the actress can't act her way out of a paper bag.

On a side note, "no theory" is the new "best theory":

CnurNS4WgAAwZ6J.jpg

Back