QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hair on Khan needs to look better, but everything else looks fantastic there, WOK Spock is perfect head to toe. WOK Kirk I'm not so sure about the sculpt, I'd need to se it more straight on. Making an exception for the paint rub on Sulu's nose, Sulu and Scotty look great and almost ready to go into production. Data, I think the sculpt is there, it's the paint that looks really off. This appears to me to be the same exact head and paint that was shown during SDCC last year and hopefully the paint will be addressed before it goes into production.

Right now, I will be gettin' Scotty and old Khan for sure.
If Data's sculpt will be completely redone to look good I will get him, just because he is my fav of TNG.
The rest... most likely pass. I don't need TNG crew without good Picard.

After that I'm done 'till they show something DS9 related... or characters like Kang and Kor.

I think Picard turned out pretty good honestly. The sculpt is pretty great, I think the outfit could be improved a bit and the neck staining was unfortunate (I got lucky after asking Sideshow for an exchange).

Data needs a lot of work. I agree that it looks more like a caricature than a good sculpt of Brent Spiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement (and it is a prototype), and I realize the standards that are now regularly expected, but the rhetoric on a lot of threads these days is a bit much; "Terrible", "Way off", "Looks NOTHING like him/her". This isn't an exact angle/expression comparison but it's close. I lightened the eyebrows a bit (they are way too dark, although it varied with the makeup application sometimes), but that's it. The ears are off, but that should be an easy fix. Other than that I like it.

View attachment 394301

I agree with you, I'm seeing what you're seeing. A far cry from a disaster.

I'm probably going to stick with just the TOS but the TWOK Kirk and Khan look tempting..

I'll definitely be picking up the TWOK figures, but it occurs to me that their posing options are limited. There was no dynamic scenes in their uniforms, and Khan actually had no direct interaction with Kirk or Spock.

I just want Scotty and Sulu, even though I remain unconvinced that we'll be seeing Chekov or Uhura at this point.

I'll definitely be picking up the TWOK figures, but it occurs to me that their posing options are limited. There was no dynamic scenes in their uniforms, and Khan actually had no direct interaction with Kirk or Spock.

Hadn't thought of that, but you're right it'll be a challenge coming up with an interesting pose for them. Kirk firing his phaser at the ear slug is about the most action we ever saw out of him in the movie, and even then he was in his landing party outfit so that wouldn't work. :D

It would be cool if they made his Captain's chair from that movie, since I've always loved the design and it would give us another display option with him. If they don't, I think I might just have to scratchbuild one myself...

Anyone in the uk in contact with Aaron at planet action figures? I sent him an email a few days ago and he hasn't replied. When I've contacted him before he's always gotten back to me the same day, it's not like him to go quiet like this. He also hasn't replied to his dealer thread since Christmas. I hope he's ok. I'm understandably concerned about my order, but that's small potatoes if he's unwell or dealing with an emergency. It's just very unusual given that he's normally very sharp on communications....

He’s been away ill for about a week. I believe the chairs were arriving to him in 3 waves so it depends when you ordered to when yours would be dispatched. I would strongly recommend joining the PAF Facebook group if you can as he provides regular updates on there and in my experience it’s easier to get a response from him there than by email.

I just wish something from Trek was going up for pre order soon. Scotty, Sulu and TWOK Kirk and Spock were shown 18 months ago. Nothing definate when coming out but it's good to see them on the shelf every show. Ryker & Geordi and Worf were in San Diego last summer but not this weekend. Also Beyond Kirk and the Firefly figures were there also but not this weekend.

They do kind of tend to just put things up for order a month before they release which always surprises me a bit because I don’t know how they gauge quantity that way.

There’s only one thing that made me a bit worried about the health of the line and that’s that they touted the super limited quantity of khan but it’s still everywhere and looks like they needed to dump the rest off on sideshow.

The first clear head on shot of WOK Kirk:
Toy-Fair-2018-QMX-Figures-024.jpg
A close up of the head I made from that image:
Toy Fair 2018 QMX WOK Kirk Cropped 001.jpg
More images from QMX 1/6 lines here:
https://news.toyark.com/2018/02/17/toy-fair-2018-gallery-quantum-mechanix-16-scale-figures-287932

Looking at that Kirk sculpt more it’s definitely off. Seems like a somewhat decent start but it needs work. He looks a bit too young there or something.

Yeah I'm not seeing much of Shatner at all in that. They really should have given it back to Inigo to do, since everyone obviously loved the job he did on the first one.

He’s been away ill for about a week. I believe the chairs were arriving to him in 3 waves so it depends when you ordered to when yours would be dispatched. I would strongly recommend joining the PAF Facebook group if you can as he provides regular updates on there and in my experience it’s easier to get a response from him there than by email.

Got an email this morning. I'm apparently in the final batch, despite ordering pretty much the day it went up. ��*♂️

I think with Data it’s a combination of the hairline and his forehead that’s throwing it off. On top of that I think the expression just looks dull and lifeless.

I think with Data it’s a combination of the hairline and his forehead that’s throwing it off. On top of that I think the expression just looks dull and lifeless.

agreed, and also needs slightly darker and slightly bigger hair.

it would be great to get one of his slightly quizzical/intrigued looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Data should have a more quizzical look or something. That seems suited to the character to me rather than the current sculpt where it looks like he’s shut off or something.

Back