WATCHMEN TV Series in the works at HBO.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZaCHw117

Super Freak
Reaction score
DC Comics favorite Watchmen may be headed for the small screen.

Fresh off of critical favorite The Leftovers, Damon Lindelof is in talks for a potential Watchmen TV series for HBO. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the project is in the early development stages. An official deal is not yet in place. Representatives for HBO and producers Warner Bros. Television declined comment.

Lindelof originally read the comics as a kid in the 1980s and has said that the series continues to influence his work. "From the flashbacks to the nonlinear storytelling to the deeply flawed heroes, these are all elements that I try to put into everything I write," he told Comic Book Resources in 2009 ahead of the feature-film take. Lindelof has read Watchmen multiple times and, at the time, praised director Zack Snyder's film. "It's the most married-to-the-original-text version of Watchmen that could've been made," he told the Observer. "I want to keep it sort of insular," he said, referring to the multiple translations that have come from trying to translate the source material. "It's OK with me if people don't understand it because they don't deserve to understand it."

Snyder, who directed the 2009 feature-film adaptation of Alan Moore's beloved comic series, is no longer attached to the drama project from Warner Bros. Television, where both DC Entertainment and Lindelof are housed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

Watchmen would work great as a TV series IMO. This could be great.

Many years ago, well before Snyder, or even Paul Greengrass, this was an idea Terry Gilliam had. It makes sense, but to do it right they need to toss what the film did out the window IMO. And honestly, I'm a lot less interested than I was back in the early 2000s about such a thing. The comic is a masterpiece, and will never be rivaled. How much added value could a TV show, or movie, really bring to that story? For me, not a lot.

While I agree, that doesn't stop me from being curios and wanting to see how they handle it.

That's very cool though, a Gillliam Watchmen would be great.

Under Lindelof this will be AMAZING.

The Leftovers was ****ing perfection from start to finish. The guy's a beast and him tackling Watchmen is a wet dream.

I hope he brings back Theroux to star because he would make a PERFECT Comedian.

I'm interested to see what they do with casting. I met Jeffrey Dean Morgan at the Walker Stalker Con in SF and mentioned how much I loved him in Watchmen. He said that he heard they might do it on TV and there would be an animated thing but hadn't been contacted, that he heard only through the net like we have. It'll be interesting to see who they get

I've met JDM as well, he was kinda drunk, but a really nice dude.

Oh great....Lindelof....so is going to dither around for 5 seasons, raise more questions than it answers, pose questions no one ever thought of or cared about before getting cancelled?

I'm out.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Oh great....Lindelof....so is going to dither around for 5 seasons, raise more questions than it answers, pose questions no one ever thought of or cared about before getting cancelled?

I'm out.

The Leftovers. The end.

No, this is Lindelof who was beholden to a studio for 5 years, answered almost every question, and recently put a bow on one of the greatest TV shows of all time. Oh and still deals with ignorant meme culture with a pretty great attitude. :)

Many years ago, well before Snyder, or even Paul Greengrass, this was an idea Terry Gilliam had. It makes sense, but to do it right they need to toss what the film did out the window IMO. And honestly, I'm a lot less interested than I was back in the early 2000s about such a thing. The comic is a masterpiece, and will never be rivaled. How much added value could a TV show, or movie, really bring to that story? For me, not a lot.
It's not about "added value" tho.
I'd just love to se a straight book-to-live-action thing with voices and music.
Same with VforV - the book is so perfect you don't even need stupid script/story board to make an awesome mini-series.

I'm actually wondering if they're planning on drawing on the expanded watchmen universe from when they gave the characters their own mini series' a couple of years ago.

But otherwise I'm with you. Alan Moore in the 80's was a man of singular vision - anger, resentment, poignant story telling. That atmosphere is just gone now.

Buuuut me thinks they're questing for dollars rather than give Alan Moore back is propperty. "No! You can't have it! We're still using it!"

Like how Fantastic 4...[emoji19]

I doubt seriously that Moore would do anything with the property even if rights somehow reverted to him. He's stated many times that he does not see the point or value in turning these comics into movies and TV shows and spinoffs, etc.

I'll look into it. But Prometheus and Lost....well they sucked.

You probably won't like The Leftovers.
Eeh. . .I guess I'll have to pass as well, then. Lost was a pretty fun ride until it went way off the rails in the last season, and the less I think of Prometheus the better.

It's not about "added value" tho.
To me it is. For several few years now I've not seen the point of watching classic comics turned into animated features, and haven't even bothered to watch them. If I hadn't read the source material, that would be another thing. Or, if they took lots of artistic liberties a la Kubrick with the Shining, I would also have more interest. I would hope for the latter with Watchmen, because as I said, they're not going to bring anything more meaningful or fulfilling to that original story than what we already have.

I doubt seriously that Moore would do anything with the property even if rights somehow reverted to him. He's stated many times that he does not see the point or value in turning these comics into movies and TV shows and spinoffs, etc.

Oh no question. He's numerous times stated if it wanted a work in another medium he would have made it in that medium to begin with. But this is his right as the creator, he's no obligated to do anything with it if he doesn't want to. Which as a fan is a mixed bag since it's nice to have new things, but I can't help but feel DC is making money off of something they didn't have to earn. I'd rather Moore got a slice of the pie even if he was crusty about it, but DC won't do that.

Given that Moore is, by far, the most important comic writer of my lifetime, I also wish he was able to get more of what he really deserved (putting contractual agreements aside :lol ) from these properties. But on the other hand, if he had control, they may have never re-released anything Watchmen-related since the '80s, the originals would cost an outrageous sum of money, and many who love the story now would never have been able to experience this amazing story to begin with. And once upon a time, there was no one more excited about the prospects of a Watchmen movie than me (I had the wallpaper promoting the aborted Greengrass film as my computer background for the longest time way back in the day), though obviously my opinion has changed on that measure. So. . .there are some positives to DC retaining the right to do whatever they choose with the story. Unfortunately, the spin-offs and whatnot are one big negative side effect of course.

To me it is.
tumblr_inline_nnctsxaF271tnvkx6_500.gif

Exactly - most of Lost and the Leftovers are overrated.

Back