Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if all sets have the Mithril in them? Every place that has sold it had it.

That was a good and fair review. Kudos on the low number, too! Regardless of sculpt (which they continue to improve) I feel like I get more bang for my buck with Asmus and their LOTR line. I purchased my first Asmus figure (GTG) Feb 28th thanks to your review on YouTube and, fast forward 1 month and almost two weeks, I'm now up to 7 LOTR Asmus figures with a pre-ordered Legolas. I'm pretty invested in this line now. Keep up the good reviews!

Thank you, I know this Asmus line isn't getting the same exposure as hot toys but I am glad it's here and I am happy to see that passionate fans like myslef is supporting this line.

Well, I found me a set on eBay. I paid pretty much what I would've paid getting it through Sideshow. :)

Mine arrived yesterday! Just in time for tomorrow's LOTR extended edition marathon!

I'm happy enough for now. Sam's head sculpt looks as bad as I thought it would, but I have found a pose that makes him look alright.
Frodo looks like Frodo to me, he doesn't look like Elijah Wood, but my eyes see Frodo, if that makes sense.

I think the reason so many of us that have the old SS versions were happy with the old ones, even though they lacked detail, is because of the softness of the features instantly make you think of young Elijah and Sean. Where as these new sculpt are way more detailed and of higher quality, but lack the softness of the young actors.

Still, at the end of the day I am glad I bought these because Asmus did an exceptional job on the clothing and accessories. And I really hope they follow through with some updated head sculpts in an expansion pack. Take your time and get them looking right Asmus. They are the lead characters after all :)

So this is the first figure from Asmus that I have ever bought, and I am incredibly blown away. When I saw how hard these were becoming to get a hold of, I decided these two would be the start of my LOTR sixth scale collection. After doing a ton of looking and searching, I found a set in stock, then found a 15% off discount code on their facebook page that was posted back in March, and it knocked the total down to $233 shipped. I then proceeded to "party like a rockstar" as the kids say.

The tailoring is incredible, the accessories are amazing, and the paint on the headsculpts is OUTSTANDING. The detail is remarkable. Are the likenesses 100%? No, but they are still easily identifiable, and still blow me away. Even if they offered updated sculpts on these, I wouldn't bother. The overall figure is just awesome and I've never felt so fulfilled by what I paid and what I received.

Anyone know where I can find them? I've looked everywhere and they are sold out?

The place I bought mine from is Man of Action Figures and the discount code was MOAF15 for 15% off. I'm not sure if it still works, but check their Facebook page as they also had MOAF10 for 10% off. Their shipping is not the fastest, but they came double packed in pristine condition. I was VERY impressed with them.

I did notice on the inside, on the tray cover, they had them each numbered. Does Asmus do that with all of their figures? That was the first time I'd ever received a numbered sixth scale figure.

@ Mydnyghte.....Awesome!!!!! Just ordered it! Only place I've seen that didn't have the price jacked up! What a great find! Thanks!!! I didn't get quite as good a deal as you but still got the 10% off!

I was encouraged enough by Asmus showing off the new head for Merry that I bought this duo for $268 shipped on eBay, even though I still think Sam's head is AWFUL.

Considering the thrashing Sam and Frodo's likenesses took from fans when they were revealed at NYCC in the fall, it's pretty remarkable how fast the set has sold out and began escalating in value!

@ Mydnyghte.....Awesome!!!!! Just ordered it! Only place I've seen that didn't have the price jacked up! What a great find! Thanks!!! I didn't get quite as good a deal as you but still got the 10% off!
Great to hear! Some of their prices are typical LCS prices, while some are ridiculous; like their $1k Delorean. Though they still had these two for a decent overall price.
Good deal for you -- they're sold out now! Lucky!
When I bought mine, they immediately went to sold out status. Either because they were waiting on more, or had to disable that 15% off coupon [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I know this isn't the right place to post this, but I just wanted to share a couple of pics of my custom Frodo figure, that I have just finished. I really wanted to love the Asmus Frodo, but whilst the clothing & accessories are undoubtedly superior to this old Dragon in Dreams ensemble, I could never see past Asmus's headsculpt. And he has a metal Sting, too...
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Finally managed to get my hands on this set. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it, even if the sculpts are not exceptional.
Pros:
I like this set more than Merry and Pip....better body proportions (thanks to the sculpted necks that make the heads sit higher and slightly bigger heads), lots of accessories, great tailoring. Great stuff on the ring and ringed hands, nice weapons (Sting in particular).
Cons:
Why on earth Frodo comes with his travel cloak while Sam don't? Why there's the light of Earendil but no elvish rope? Why just Sam's Barrow-blade and not Frodo's? These two Hobbits are better than Merry and Pip but I don't like the inconsistency they generate: now M&P are smaller (and even if in the movie they're the same height it should be the complete opposite), with (worse) smaller heads and less hairy feet. :dunno
Lastly Sam's buttons are a nightmare (I already reglued back two of them) and I understand why they included some spares.

Here's a quick pic with some pieces of wood I'll use as travel sticks. Sam's slightly padded as the fatsuit wasn't absolutely enough.
Hobbitses.jpg

With old Gandalf, ready to leave the Shire. I'll need a Bill sooner or later.
HobbiGandalf.jpg

Great pics!
Aren't all these bodies the same?

Cant' answer completely (I only fully undressed Merry) but the neck is different. Merry and Pip have a torso with sculpted neck, while Sam anf Frodo's necks are one with the head.

Did Sam actually have those extensions on his pants like that? Never noticed.
Technically yes... The seam is there but it's almost unnoticeable at normal viewing distance (enlarge the pic...is hi-res):
a941fe9dc35c7e821f10bc6b4ec3c687.jpg

So, Asmus, will this get a reissue?
Still confused why you choose to do the most crucial LOTR characters in the smallest possible edition size?!

Why make a reissue od Saruman and not these two?!

Back