Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 93
  1. #71

    Default Re: Norman Bates from PSYCHO!

    Guessing it was just posted in the wrong thread... pay it no mind

  2. Collectibles Direct UK-300x250 Collectibles Direct UK-300x250 Collectibles Direct UK-300x250
  3. #72
    Freaked Out!
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    579
    Feedback
    6 (88%)
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by King Darkness View Post
    <<< Rain cloud.....

    Looks bad to me, like a figure from 10 years ago that should have cost $40, not $100 in 2012. Just not feeling it at all
    indeed it is kinda "soft" in the details

  4. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
    indeed it is kinda "soft" in the details
    I guess the point in our critisizm is that we are not trying to be negative, we are only trying to give voice to the average collector. in this day and time there are so many sculpters doing some fantastic jobs with their headsculpts and there are so many choices to pick from, For this figure to compete even if made independantly, would need to at least get the sculpt looking just a little better.

    I, for one was around to see this movie when it was released for the first time so I really would like to have a Norman Bates 12er in my collection, Heck, I would collect ANYTHING Hammeresk if offered. Now, however, with limited funds I have be be discriminating in my choices. My preference now is a good headsculpt. If I have that, I'm good and would buy in a ny minute.

    The creaters should not take this personally but as a stepping stone to improve the quality of their figures. Don't do the face from a particular scene from the movie but make the headsculpt good enough that we can use any our own favorite scenes. Clothing aside, if the headsculpt can be improved, you have me as an avid customer

  5. #74
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    If they improve them too much---they will improve themselves right out of the market. Because improvements bring higher prices. Besides---the figures he is producing are so niche market, I cannot help but wonder if he's really seen any profit from these ventures yet. Add to that this point as well: he's not even trying to compete with Hot Toys or whomever. He is trying to make retro style figures, and it's obviously clicking with horror collectors. I dunno that they will ever really change the way they do things. Some of his figures have sold out.

    I want this figure, and have cheered for one for years on the forum. I do have one secured, but I havent been comfortable enough to pay for it yet. Gas is $4 a gallon here, groceries are sky high, and both my kids needed glasses and frames this year.

    I cut up all my credit save one for emergencies. My days of just buying things and paying for it later are done. I dunno if I am the exception or the rule. But if this figure would've been $150 (even if was Hot Toys quality)---I wouldn't be able to buy it unless my ebay sales(which is how I make my hobby pay for itself) picked up. It's seriously dead on evil bay except for when the obsessive compulsives get in bidding wars with each other over an item,lol.

    People seem terrified to let go of their $$ these days. Unless you are young, unattached, and professional or perhaps fairly wealthy (or living from your credit cards to appear to be:formerly me and quite a few others)----paying $150-200 for glorified Barbies is kinda on the back burner right now. I think he's doing fine..... But who knows? Maybe if he secured a license, went Hot Toys quality, and the price went up to $200-- he might reach people with more money. People who would snag them up, that arent buying these retro versions. I think thats why folks are so polarized on these. For some folks its about spending as little as possible. For others, money is no object to them for a better looking dolly.
    Last edited by Anton Phibes; 03-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.

  6. #75
    Go ahead, make my day.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Every dirty job that comes along.
    Posts
    54,054
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Phibes View Post
    If they improve them too much---they will improve themselves right out of the market. Because improvements bring higher prices. Besides---the figures he is producing are so niche market, I cannot help but wonder if he's really seen any profit from these ventures yet. Add to that this point as well: he's not even trying to compete with Hot Toys or whomever. He is trying to make retro style figures, and it's obviously clicking with horror collectors. I dunno that they will ever really change the way they do things. Some of his figures have sold out.

    I want this figure, and have cheered for one for years on the forum. I do have one secured, but I havent been comfortable enough to pay for it yet. Gas is $4 a gallon here, groceries are sky high, and both my kids needed glasses and frames this year.

    I cut up all my credit save one for emergencies. My days of just buying things and paying for it later are done. I dunno if I am the exception or the rule. But if this figure would've been $150 (even if was Hot Toys quality)---I wouldn't be able to buy it unless my ebay sales(which is how I make my hobby pay for itself) picked up. It's seriously dead on evil bay except for when the obsessive compulsives get in bidding wars with each other over an item,lol.

    People seem terrified to let go of their $$ these days. Unless you are young, unattached, and professional or perhaps fairly wealthy (or living from your credit cards to appear to be:formerly me and quite a few others)----paying $150-200 for glorified Barbies is kinda on the back burner right now. I think he's doing fine..... But who knows? Maybe if he secured a license, went Hot Toys quality, and the price went up to $200-- he might reach people with more money. People who would snag them up, that arent buying these retro versions. I think thats why folks are so polarized on these. For some folks its about spending as little as possible. For others, money is no object to them for a better looking dolly.
    Wrong thread?

  7. #76
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by thenammagazine View Post
    Wrong thread?
    Naw---just trying to speculate why people are in "camps" over some goofy figures. I dont mind the retro approach, and I don't wanna pay $300 for a figure. I didnt care a few years ago, but I sure do now. So I must be in the "like it" camp. Yeah, I know...

  8. #77
    Go ahead, make my day.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Every dirty job that comes along.
    Posts
    54,054
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Phibes View Post
    Naw---just trying to speculate why people are in "camps" over some goofy figures. I dont mind the retro approach, and I don't wanna pay $300 for a figure. I didnt care a few years ago, but I sure do now. So I must be in the "like it" camp. Yeah, I know...
    It's easy. If it looks good, and I have the funds, I buy it. I don't care if it's a $400 statue, a $200 HT figure, a $150 Sideshow figure, a $50 independent or a $10 figure at TRU.

  9. #78
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by thenammagazine View Post
    It's easy. If it looks good, and I have the funds, I buy it. I don't care if it's a $400 statue, a $200 HT figure, a $150 Sideshow figure, a $50 independent or a $10 figure at TRU.
    My $400 statue buying days are few and far between. Flex pay is starting to look more and more appealing these days, .

  10. #79
    Go ahead, make my day.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Every dirty job that comes along.
    Posts
    54,054
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Phibes View Post
    My $400 statue buying days are few and far between. Flex pay is starting to look more and more appealing these days, .
    I hear that. I passed on Freddy because I couldn't fathom how a statue that's shorter than Jason, uses considerably less material (both fabric and polystone), and comes with less accessories, is somehow $70 more.

  11. #80
    I received both versions of Norman yesterday.

    The skintone on both figures came out great, and I especially like the paintjob on the B&W figure. The color one isn't as pale in person as it is in the website pictures. The quality of the clothing is fantastic and feels very nice. The laced shoes are especially a fine touch. The creepy stare on the B&W variant is perfect, however the eyes on my color version came out slightly wonky, and the eyebrows don't look as good as the BW version (I've spoken with the maker, and he says that is an easy fix.) Other wise, the paintjob is very clean.

    The sculpt is very good, and when looking from the right angle, is definitely Perkins.

    Articulation is very good and smooth, unlike the old Sideshow Buck, and the joints are firm.

    You can tell alot of hard work went into these figures, and it shows. They look great with my Sideshow horror collection. I applaud Distinctive Dummies for filling a void Sideshow left open a long time ago. It's great finally getting new figures of characters I love, instead of rebuying the same monsters in different scales.

    NOTE: I am no expert photographer. Please excuse the blurry close ups!






    The Evolution of Horror:





    Descendants of Ed Gein:

    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ryanjeri/ErikAvatar.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. How about a "Psycho" Norman Bates PF
    By attom44 in forum Horror - Statues, props, etc.
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •