Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. When I get to that stage (if I ever find something to put them on), I expect to do a two-man lift. Each guy would have at least one hand under the wooden base.

I am not big and I lifted the whole thing up slowly of the floor and onto the raised level grabbing on to the base ....

I am not big and I lifted the whole thing up slowly of the floor and onto the raised level grabbing on to the base ....

I might be able to do that too, but the problem is that I don't have the legs on the bottom of the base so it's flush with the floor. I'm going to have to get it off the floor carefully. I should be able to lift it 11" off the ground....hopefully

:horror

:nono

teamlift.jpg

:lol

:lol yes if you have someone at hand to help sure .... I tend to just do stuff myself and just get stuff done. I mounted my last LCD TV 52" myself onto a wall mount too ;)

This may sound ghetto, but it should be cheap and easily modified to suit your length and height. Just use bricks to lift them up to the perfect height and balance, then just get some wood panels cut to fit and secure them to the bricks. Also makes it easy to expand...

Laugh away, but when I finally travel down to the IKEA store in Dallas, I think that's what I may end up doing.

I also posted this in my collection thread.
I have decided to add 2 more Detolfs to my display and I wanted to raise them up so you could see the bottom shelf. On a whim I bought 2 LACK coffee tables when I was getting the Detolfs. They seemed pretty sturdy at the store but when I got them home, I discovered they were quite flimsy. Since I live 2 hours away from IKEA, returning them was not practical, so I sawed them up and used them to "skin" a 2x12 and MDF base.

The 2x12 bases, I had some stain that was a pretty close match:
detolfrisersstain.jpg

Gluing and screwing it all together:

detolfrisersglue.jpg

Getting them in place:

riserswithdetolf.jpg

Getting closer:

allrisersondetolfs.jpg

I also posted this in my collection thread.
I have decided to add 2 more Detolfs to my display and I wanted to raise them up so you could see the bottom shelf. On a whim I bought 2 LACK coffee tables when I was getting the Detolfs. They seemed pretty sturdy at the store but when I got them home, I discovered they were quite flimsy. Since I live 2 hours away from IKEA, returning them was not practical, so I sawed them up and used them to "skin" a 2x12 and MDF base.

The 2x12 bases, I had some stain that was a pretty close match:
detolfrisersstain.jpg

Gluing and screwing it all together:

detolfrisersglue.jpg

Getting them in place:

riserswithdetolf.jpg

Getting closer:

allrisersondetolfs.jpg

Really great job! I need one of those!

All Done with the risers, just a little futzing with the cords and such left. It is amazing how much this has changed the feel of my display. The height makes a huge difference. Total cost was under $50, but I did use some materials I had on hand.

dr1t.jpg

The lighter area underneath is not visible other than in these pictures.

dr3p.jpg

dr2r.jpg

dr5f.jpg

dr4i.jpg

Last edited:
Raised 2 DETOLFs with IKEA EFFEKIV and got a good 21 1/4" of extra height. Units used:

-1pc Add-on unit-low

-1pc Roll-front

-1pc Base with Legs

Width is perfect for 2 units. Provides ample storage space below. The space underneath the unit helps to hide all the wires. Here are th pics:

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DETOLFS lit up:
DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

Looks great, but are you sure it can handle the weight?

It's holding up the weight just fine. Notice in the pics that there is zero sag in the middle. The backing to this unit is a solid piece of finished particle board. The aluminum frame in the front helps with keeping it rigid.

Back