Asmus 1/6 Lord of the Rings - Faramir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received Faramir for Christmas! Although I wish he came with rooted hair, I think he is up there as one of the best from Asmus! Great sculpt, attire and accessories!

One thing I?ve struggled with is posing him with an arrow ready to fire from the longbow. Has anyone managed to this?

Settled for this pose for now and I?m quite happy with it! Would be great to see any others!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks beautiful. Mine is finally preparing to ship from Sideshow. That may take a while.

I'm gonna shift to ordering from ASMUS directly since SSC decided to get tight with their point system, which was a big draw for me. It's not like ever got that many points anyway. I don't like being forced - more or less - to buy stuff or (potentially) losing rewards.

Hi all,

I just spent about 45 minutes reading through this thread and I have a couple of questions for everyone.

I've been critical of Asmus for their head sculpts previously as likeness is the most important feature for me in a sixth scale figure. I've stayed away mostly for that reason. But, my wife surprised me with a figure of Eomer for Christmas, and despite it being slightly frustrating to get set up, it's really a great figure and I feel it displays really nice, particularly with the helmet on. I liked it so much I ordered Elrond and two Elven Warriors to display together, and I'm looking at ordering Galadriel as her prototype looks great.

My birthday is in January and I'm debating telling my wife to order Faramir off Sideshow, as Faramir is my favorite LOTR character in the series. So, I've been scrolling through this thread and it seems there are a lot of issues with the figure, such as:

-Boots impossible to articulate
-Neck peg breaking when removing the head sculpt
-A welded/frustrating belt buckle
-A backwards quiver strap that requires fixing
-Missing trim on the quiver
-Likeness issues
-Ugly hair seam
-No beard on the face
-Cheap looking chest plate

It seems to me that the pictures where the head sculpt looks subpar are from cell phone photos, and the sculpt looking better are from actual camera pictures, leading me to think the head sculpt criticisms are unfair through pictures and it will look good in person. I also don't need a crazy action pose and can live with the boots, however annoying they may be.

I guess my question is...to those of you who have this figure, is it worth it? Do you regret it, several months in? As someone who care about likeness as most important feature on a figure and attention to detail on the outfit as the second most important, will I be annoyed with this release? I'm wonder if I should just say screw it and take a chance, or if I should have her pre-order Galadriel from Sideshow, as that figure does look like it will be really good.

I do greatly appreciate any help and feedback anyone is willing to provide. Thank you!

I have the Faramir figure and suffer through a few of those listed issues but I still like the figure, over-all, and am glad to have it in the collection.

I plan on going back to it and working on it some, in order to hopefully correct some of the issues. I have Faramir wearing his cloak, covering the head seam.

If he is a favorite character of yours, I would recommend that you pick it up.

If Faramir is your favorite character you can buy it you won't regret, but it's not the best figure from Asmus. Some of the issues you can work on them, some others you can't... I personnaly really dislike the headsculpt (bad likeness, conehead, hair seam, no beard, and a strange orange color for the skin) but you may like it more than me.
Disappointing next to the latest releases of Asmus but still a good representation of the character.
:)

Any leads on a good pair of possible replacement boots?

Figure is great but for the life of me, I don?t understand why ANY companies are still doing non-articulated boots! Either split cut design or fabric would be preferable.

How in the world would anyone figure that quiver strap configuration out without some kind of guidance provided with the product itself? I have tracked down every LOTR figure Asmus has made and this kind of FAILURE is disappointing after so many releases. Many prior releases are hit and miss but the progress has been steady. If the strap attachment was intuitive, fine. But seriously? You find this acceptable? People quibble over headsculpt likenesses, outfit colours etc. Whatever. We all have opinions. But when accessories cannot be used out of the box without an explanation, which is not provided?unacceptable.

Just got this in from SSC - is this fig SUPPOSED to have identical vambraces, as opposed to a left and right? Don't remember that happening with Thorin - before I go chasing SSC or ASMUS for parts.

The proto shows a distinct right and left.:(

Just got this in from SSC - is this fig SUPPOSED to have identical vambraces, as opposed to a left and right? Don't remember that happening with Thorin - before I go chasing SSC or ASMUS for parts.

The proto shows a distinct right and left.:(

I?ve just checked and mine has the same. Didn?t even notice! Comparing to the prototype, they look a lot different to be fair.

I?ve just checked and mine has the same. Didn?t even notice! Comparing to the prototype, they look a lot different to be fair.

Thank you - yeah, some other pics and Keyboard Warriors review it's the same *frown*. It's not like ASMUS to be sloppy with a costume that way, and yes, I noticed:(.

Can't really work with him until the weekend.

Yikes. That's disappointing.

Well, for the most part, he seems very nice and I don't regret getting him at the price point. Haven't had time to really work with him. I think the chest plate is pretty nice and I won't have to worry about peeling. The hair seam on mine isn't obvious.

But not having a left and right IMO is pretty amateur, what u get on a cheap discount fig. Not real obvious either but IMO beneath ASMUS.:(

IMG_7986b (2).jpgQuick backyard shot of Faramir. I must have been lucky because I haven't had a problem with him at all. The head looks much better than I have seen. I will get more shots when I head out for a walk hopefully soon. Winter in Ohio is always tricky to do outdoor pics.

indeed, the head doesn't seem that bad on your shot, the hair color is better than mine (did you do a brown ink wash ?) and he even seems to have a mustache.
:)

Yes, great pic! And I don't have a problem with the head sculpt; think it's nicely done.

Thank you all. I haven't done anything to him other than pose him and went outside. It was a grey day. Sadly winter makes my backyard not look as fun or hides the fence. I need to take him out on a journey soon. If the weather isn't bad or too cold.

Finally got a chance to work with him - overall IMO a beautiful fig; I am very happy with the sculpt, paint, hair, and ASMUS nicely detailed costume - all that stitching of the undertunic - beautiful:love. I might even get a second of one my favorite LOTR characters (from the book, anyway).

But, yes, he took some futzing and tinkering, as well as the addition of a sourced bow, hands and vambraces, as well as some diorama bases from Lucifer company's elf series. I like to think these evoke a bit of the pools and woods of Ithilien (and I more or less ignore Peter Jackson's interpretation of Faramir - there's a lot in LOTR films I sort of ignore - IMO the handling of Faramir being one of the worst).

I just need an Eowyn to go with. If ASMUS reads this - well, they probably already heard about the split boot thing and lack of bow for the whole release as well as draw hands. There isn't any point of cutting stuff like that as some collectors like me will just end up giving money to someone else to get the look they want, and Faramir is definitely a bow user. Also the vambrace thing drove me crazy even tho u can't tell.

Still, the careful details are appreciated including the diecast sword!:clap Like the laced sleeves and tunic, and carefully finished cloak.

ASMUS_Faramir1_opt.jpg

ASMUS_Farmir_pool.jpg

ASMUS_Faramir_arrows1.jpg

ASMUS_Faramir_arrows_close.jpg

LOL spend time fitting a bow and find out u need a taller space to fit:lol The hood actually drapes and stays pretty nicely; I might keep him like that. I also need to get some paint and darken that bow to a more SA dark brown.

Finally got a chance to work with him - overall IMO a beautiful fig; I am very happy with the sculpt, paint, hair, and ASMUS nicely detailed costume - all that stitching of the undertunic - beautiful:love. I might even get a second of one my favorite LOTR characters (from the book, anyway).

But, yes, he took some futzing and tinkering, as well as the addition of a sourced bow, hands and vambraces, as well as some diorama bases from Lucifer company's elf series. I like to think these evoke a bit of the pools and woods of Ithilien (and I more or less ignore Peter Jackson's interpretation of Faramir - there's a lot in LOTR films I sort of ignore - IMO the handling of Faramir being one of the worst).

I just need an Eowyn to go with. If ASMUS reads this - well, they probably already heard about the split boot thing and lack of bow for the whole release as well as draw hands. There isn't any point of cutting stuff like that as some collectors like me will just end up giving money to someone else to get the look they want, and Faramir is definitely a bow user. Also the vambrace thing drove me crazy even tho u can't tell.

Still, the careful details are appreciated including the diecast sword!:clap Like the laced sleeves and tunic, and carefully finished cloak.

View attachment 504364

View attachment 504367

View attachment 504368

View attachment 504369

LOL spend time fitting a bow and find out u need a taller space to fit:lol The hood actually drapes and stays pretty nicely; I might keep him like that. I also need to get some paint and darken that bow to a more SA dark brown.

Great work! What did you end up doing with the vambraces? Some close ups would be great!

Back