Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep...I got out of the preordering game awhile ago because for a while I was heavily into Star Wars Hot Toys and noticed that those things were still in stock literally years after release...so why preorder? I was waiting patiently, but once I saw that it was Waitlisted at Sideshow I immediately put in a 1am preorder with Asmus!

This one was an instant pre-order for me.

As far as Star Wars Hot Toys, lately I'm noticing a quicker time-frame on figures going out of stock, in general.

Are they just making smaller runs or is COVID-19 to blame? Unsure.

I wonder when this will actually ship. I have only been collecting this line for a few weeks and have picked up primarily older figures. Is Asmus usually good about releasing fairly close to the scheduled date...or are they closer to the Blitzway school of releasing a year or two after the scheduled date?

I wonder when this will actually ship. I have only been collecting this line for a few weeks and have picked up primarily older figures. Is Asmus usually good about releasing fairly close to the scheduled date...or are they closer to the Blitzway school of releasing a year or two after the scheduled date?

I don't remember getting upset about releases. It depends on whether u order from ASMUS which is quickest. I waited for months for BBTS to get my first Thranduil in, but that's more of a shipping thing. I think SSC has Gandalf slated July-September.

I don't remember getting upset about releases. It depends on whether u order from ASMUS which is quickest. I waited for months for BBTS to get my first Thranduil in, but that's more of a shipping thing. I think SSC has Gandalf slated July-September.

Thanks!

Yeah, ordering directly through Asmus is always quickest. (Plus, it has the added advantage of making sure more of the money goes directly to support the company.) For most figures they have a pretty quick turn-around. Off the top of my head ... maybe six months or so from pre-order to shipping? Does that sound right? (Add a month or so if you order through Sideshow. Maybe two more months if you go through BBTS.)

It varies from figure to figure, of course. But it's typically a lot faster than Hot Toys or (shudder) ThreeZero where you can be waiting a year or more. Sometimes it's REALLY quick. Just a couple of months. I remember Theoden and Arwen being really fast between announcement and shipping.

This Crown Gandalf is a whole different animal, though. All the hairing is super labor intensive and meticulous. This is uncharted territory for them, so I'm cutting them all the slack in the world when it comes to his timelines.

Yeah, ordering directly through Asmus is always quickest. (Plus, it has the added advantage of making sure more of the money goes directly to support the company.) For most figures they have a pretty quick turn-around. Off the top of my head ... maybe six months or so from pre-order to shipping? Does that sound right? (Add a month or so if you order through Sideshow. Maybe two more months if you go through BBTS.)

It varies from figure to figure, of course. But it's typically a lot faster than Hot Toys or (shudder) ThreeZero where you can be waiting a year or more. Sometimes it's REALLY quick. Just a couple of months. I remember Theoden and Arwen being really fast between announcement and shipping.

This Crown Gandalf is a whole different animal, though. All the hairing is super labor intensive and meticulous. This is uncharted territory for them, so I'm cutting them all the slack in the world when it comes to his timelines.

I ordered direct from Asmus...my plan was to order from Sideshow but once I saw that the figure was Waitlisted I immediately placed the Asmus order. In all of my years of collecting the furthest that I have had an item ship from is Canada...I live in the southern United States. I have actually never ordered directly from Asia which was my other big reservation. In reading through some of the threads here it seems like Asmus knows what they are doing when it comes to international shipping. I have not read about any issues or customs concerns so I am hoping that that will all go smoothly.

I ordered direct from Asmus...my plan was to order from Sideshow but once I saw that the figure was Waitlisted I immediately placed the Asmus order. In all of my years of collecting the furthest that I have had an item ship from is Canada...I live in the southern United States. I have actually never ordered directly from Asia which was my other big reservation. In reading through some of the threads here it seems like Asmus knows what they are doing when it comes to international shipping. I have not read about any issues or customs concerns so I am hoping that that will all go smoothly.

I've gotten maybe half a dozen figures directly from Asmus over the last few years. They ship quickly (and free). There might be a bit of a delay these days because of Covid. Haven't had an issue with customs thus far (I'm in New Jersey) but every once in a while one of the boxes gets a little beaten up. Never had any figures damaged, though.

I've gotten maybe half a dozen figures directly from Asmus over the last few years. They ship quickly (and free). There might be a bit of a delay these days because of Covid. Haven't had an issue with customs thus far (I'm in New Jersey) but every once in a while one of the boxes gets a little beaten up. Never had any figures damaged, though.

Awesome! Thanks for providing me with another healthy does of peace of mind!

Dang! I could have sworn I preordered this, but I can't find the records anywhere. I may have been waiting for SS to list and then got busy and it slipped my mind. Or maybe I POed from Asmus but their records only go back 6 months. If I can't figure it out, I'll order from BBTS just to be sure, but I've got a feeling I'll end up with two.

Hey guys how do you like this idea to combine Weta Balrog bust with new Gandalf the Gray? should be nice diorama with bridge... Moria walls around...
I may order Balrog bust and yeah it's pricey. Around $679.
untitled.png

Hey guys how do you like this idea to combine Weta Balrog bust with new Gandalf the Gray? should be nice diorama with bridge... Moria walls around...
I may order Balrog bust and yeah it's pricey. Around $679.
Jb78kU4.png

https://pasteboard.co/Jb78kU4.png

Awesome idea if you got the money. Too rich for my blood though but if you do it post pics.

I have the weta balrog bust and it’s huge! I’m looking forward to turning it on standing Gandalf in front of it

Back