Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know. But I over-reacted and I apologize and I just want to clear the air. No hard feelings?

Can Otomofan and Potato-man be friends?

Can't believe these are going on a decade old. My bike still looks beautiful, thank god, but Kaneda's outfit has faded, I believe. No cracks or tears, but definitely lost its luster, sadly.

Can't believe these are going on a decade old. My bike still looks beautiful, thank god, but Kaneda's outfit has faded, I believe. No cracks or tears, but definitely lost its luster, sadly.

wasn't that how it was suppose to look in the movie? that guy pretty much wearing the same bike outfit for years.

I always come here hoping to see the AKIRA thread bumped cause some company will finally make some 1/12 scale figures......

But it never happens.

If it were ever gonna happen, it would have been last year, the year the movie took place in. I guess it's just not in the cards.

Looking for the whole set but mostly the bike at the moment, if anyone out there selling or knows of one at a "decent" price...thx!!

Here in Japan, the bike is usually listed for bare minimum $1000......don't know if anyone's actually spending that much though.

Even the much smaller Soul of Popynica is getting really hard to find for less than say, $200 these days.

Here in Japan, the bike is usually listed for bare minimum $1000......don't know if anyone's actually spending that much though.

Even the much smaller Soul of Popynica is getting really hard to find for less than say, $200 these days.

A $1000 would be a "steal" compared to the prices on ebay at the moment, pretty sure I'd pull the trigger on that at this point....sooo if anyone is interested ;)

Not Akira related but check out Acid Rain 1/18 Scale FAV-SP05 Capybara Red lots of homage to Akira.

10720656a3.jpg

My Kaneda's outfit has definitely faded over the years. I've kept it out of sunlight but it could just be the damn Japanese humidity and not to mention the cheap materials. Such is life, I suppose.

My Kaneda's outfit has definitely faded over the years. I've kept it out of sunlight but it could just be the damn Japanese humidity and not to mention the cheap materials. Such is life, I suppose.

but was it under constant lighting? normally they don't fade. they just outright flake when the time comes and if you're lucky you won't notice it if you don't touch it.

I need some help. My Kaneda's clothes are falling appart : (. The fake leather is loosing it's color and the back jacket details are pealing off.
Does anyone have a clothes customizer to point me to?
Thanks!

I need some help. My Kaneda's clothes are falling appart : (. The fake leather is loosing it's color and the back jacket details are pealing off.
Does anyone have a clothes customizer to point me to?
Thanks!

oh well from what folks posting here it seems the jacket's time about up.

Yep.. unfortunately....
If I remember right I have a post in this exact thread worrying about the fake leather from other Medicom figures.
What about the bike itself? Those rubber tires are pretty thick, and I can only imagine they can get too dry and crack in the future. How should we maintain those?

Yep.. unfortunately....
If I remember right I have a post in this exact thread worrying about the fake leather from other Medicom figures.
What about the bike itself? Those rubber tires are pretty thick, and I can only imagine they can get too dry and crack in the future. How should we maintain those?

make sure the weight doesn't sit on the rubber and they are not in direct contact with plastic/painted surface including lacquered wood coz lacquer is plastic, put some lifters below and make sure the lifters have some fabric (preferably white) to prevent fusing with the bike paint.

as for the rubber, can apply some neutral color tyre shine.

I've cleaned the tires on mine from time to time, but never put any products on it cause I'm afraid of just making things worse. These aren't actual car tires after all...they're just little rubber toy tires.

As for Kaneda's outfit, I've had some cracking evident for some time but nothing peeling off.

I'm not gonna stress out about it. When it's its time to go...it will sadly go. The red on the outfit has long since faded into a pink and that's with no exposure to the sun.

It's been over ten years....I gotta believe somebody would release a new version one of these days. Maybe the rumors of the license being too expensive are true. Cause we didn't see anything in 2019, and that would have been the year to do it.

Although they DID re-release those somewhat ugly capsule figures last year.

As I've said over and over and over......I want fully articulated 1/12 figures and bikes, not 1/6. Now is the time! Strike while the iron is hot!

Indeed it is even a stiffer rubber or plastic than an actual tire.
I'm, too, afraid of messing it up some product besides water. When I clean my figures every year I use a humid cloth over the tires to remove dust and give it a bit of moisture (once or twice a year may not be enough, though)
Kaneda's clothes have faded and the red is kind of dusting of in some parts (like the shoulders where the jacket is folded over itself). The back decal has pealed (maybe because it is in contact with the rubber seat). Everything else looks fine.
I love this set. Wish I could maintain it for as long as it would be possible... Of course, nothing is forever and we should not stress about it.
For now the solution would be finding a customizer to make an even better job than Medicom.

Back