1/6 Toys Works - Spiritual Leader (Morpheus)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The glasses in the movie were pure black glass mirror. There was zero roughness or bump on them, giving it that smooth finish. Kinda like a two way interrogation mirror.

Don't know if that's something that can be done in this scale? Mirrored black is more accurate to the actual glasses used but the way they lit his glasses in the movie makes it look more like the glossy black, which might be the more preferred option.

Its funny, I've heard so many opinions of what Morpheus glasses are, yet perhaps this 2-paragraph article has the best practical explanation regarding the differences in Morpheus glasses from shot to shot:

https://whatculture.com/film/10-movie-mistakes-that-were-put-there-intentionally?page=9

Its funny, I've heard so many opinions of what Morpheus glasses are, yet perhaps this 2-paragraph article has the best practical explanation regarding the differences in Morpheus glasses from shot to shot:

https://whatculture.com/film/10-movie-mistakes-that-were-put-there-intentionally?page=9

Yeah I read about them switching it. The "official" glasses that he's suppose to be sporting is the pure black mirror version but they only swap it if it got in way of filming.

I would say that doc's glossy black looks more like what they wanted the glasses to look like in the film rather than the super glossy version. The figure is gonna be under a detolf lighting for most collectors and I think the glossy black would better represent what the glasses look like.

Gloss black is way more representory of the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, guys! Thanks for the feedback. I honestly wouldn't mind offering both versions. it's a bit more to keep track of, and a couple extra steps for the mirror black, but nothgin unreasonable.

However I did run into one issue. My gloss black coat that I used to take the photos was dry when I took photos, but probably wasn't fully "cured". As such, after 24 hours or so the ultra smooth surface became less smooth, possibly as the enamel contracted or whatever. They still look great and shiny and whatnot, but not as slicked over as they originally appeared. I'm not one to settle for decent, so I will kind of have to go "back to the drawing board" as it were to make sure whatever technique I use results in that nice, smooth black. I have attached a little video showing how these look not in a light box. If you slow it down you can see the less smooth surface of the gloss black, while the mirror stayed nice and smooth.

You may also hear my son's voice which is why I haven't been able to get a few other pictures in different lighting yet, haha!

I'm still liking the mirrored black one best.

It captures the "black" but has the mirrored effect more pronounced. If it's not an issue, I would go with that option.

I'm still liking the mirrored black one best.

It captures the "black" but has the mirrored effect more pronounced. If it's not an issue, I would go with that option.

Haha I hear you. I think the mirror black captures the overall look best as well, but I also totally see the gloss black opinions as well.

If it comes down to two separate versions based off preference then I will just organize the ordering post with that info in mind. Ya know something like:
Option A) Gloss black
Option B) Mirrored black

And then just produce however many of each one is needed.

I am going to do some more tests pretty soon on the surface to make sure I really get the smooth surface for the coatings to stick to. It's a frustrating endeavor sometimes because application one time might be perfect and then on another pair I get artifacts. Frustrating!!

I think I prefer the gloss black (the one on top in the video?) I think I can see some of the jaggyness of it, but doesn't look bad overall. Thanks for all the work!

I think I prefer the gloss black (the one on top in the video?) I think I can see some of the jaggyness of it, but doesn't look bad overall. Thanks for all the work!
Yeah thre gloss black is on top. And yeah I'm sure you can see it. Im not satisfied with it so it'll definitely be improved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey, guys! Thanks for the feedback. I honestly wouldn't mind offering both versions. it's a bit more to keep track of, and a couple extra steps for the mirror black, but nothgin unreasonable.

However I did run into one issue. My gloss black coat that I used to take the photos was dry when I took photos, but probably wasn't fully "cured". As such, after 24 hours or so the ultra smooth surface became less smooth, possibly as the enamel contracted or whatever. They still look great and shiny and whatnot, but not as slicked over as they originally appeared. I'm not one to settle for decent, so I will kind of have to go "back to the drawing board" as it were to make sure whatever technique I use results in that nice, smooth black. I have attached a little video showing how these look not in a light box. If you slow it down you can see the less smooth surface of the gloss black, while the mirror stayed nice and smooth.

You may also hear my son's voice which is why I haven't been able to get a few other pictures in different lighting yet, haha!

Really appreciate all the work, DoggieDoc.

I'm still torn. Especially after the video. I thought I would go gloss black, but I kind of like those mirrored ones now in your video.

Really appreciate all the work, DoggieDoc.

I'm still torn. Especially after the video. I thought I would go gloss black, but I kind of like those mirrored ones now in your video.
Yeah the video shows how the mirror is more likely to reflect thre surroundings. So in a bright, white light box, they look lighter. But in less direct lighting, they look blacker.

The mirrored ones look more charcoal gray to me whereas the gloss look jet black.

I'll have to run through the movie and see which would look most accurate.

I?m all about those mirrored glasses, Andy. But because I?m psycho, if you offer both, I?ll probably end up getting both to decide lol.
Nexus, look up DinoDinya on Facebook. That?s where a few of us got the green tie from.

How much are the glasses? I?m still trying to find one of the green ties.
They're going to be on the cheaper side compared to my usual glasses.... probably around $45 or so.

I?m all about those mirrored glasses, Andy. But because I?m psycho, if you offer both, I?ll probably end up getting both to decide lol.
Nexus, look up DinoDinya on Facebook. That?s where a few of us got the green tie from.
Hahhaa whatever you want, man, I'll make them both[emoji41]

Finally got around to ordering this. Will be interesting to compare it to the old Kato version. Not sure if I will end up keeping both or Frankensteining them together and selling whatever is left. Similarly, I may pick up the new Trinity to compare with Jnix’s version. I have three Neos—Hot Toys, Iminime, and a custom Priest version. All are in storage, so never got a chance to compare. I never got any of the Smiths that have been released over the years, but maybe I’ll get the new one. Not a character I’ve been interested in spending a lot of money on. I would like to see the Ghost twins, although I doubt if even the knockoff companies would produce those. Niobe would also be cool, but even less likely than the twins. I have been thinking about picking up one of the Bellucci heads to see if it can be repainted and haired to work for Persephone (red dress). I also thought either the Ra’s al Ghul or Loki black suit might work for Merovingian (possibly swapping out for a red shirt and tie) if I can find a good solution for the Lambert Wilson portrait as I doubt there’s even enough interest to merit a small run group commission.

Back