Universal Monsters 1/6th scale from Trick or Treat Studios

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on price and quality, I will fully support this line.
Although I have to admit, the only one of these classic movies I really enjoy is Frankenstein... :lol
As a matter of fact, I just watched '31 Dracula again the other day and I still can't understand why people love it so much... now Frankenstein, that's a truly good movie!

It's ok to disagree, but it's ok for me to disagree with you too,lol. I will explain.

I have been collecting this stuff since 1986, and have also been involved in the creative aspect. Not just a consumer and collector, but a contributor. I can tell you with absolute certainty that demand has diminished, and brand identification is down. Those are facts....not just my "feelings". The Frankenstein ornament isn't sold out. It wasn't offered with the others. It's new for 2020. As for Prada...I know nothing about fashion, but know the name. Same concept applies to Frankenstein. Everyone knows the name/ basics, it's a public domain character. However, the fanbase for the films has diminished.

The execs running Universal's marketing of the Monsters are turning to the limited fan base for instruction. That's what Mabry stated in the interview. The kids in charge now are still running on a 1997 Burger King Kid's Meal style guide for their "inspiration". When they approved or disapproved of a sculpt they were often in error. They were citing things to Mabry such as "Frankenstein is missing a head clamp". He then had to explain to them that they were viewing a still from the sequel, and not the original film. That the monster's appearance changed from film to film. If the folks in charge of the properties haven't even bothered to watch the films, it's problematic. That's diminishing brand recognition. Up until recently, Universal didn't view their brand as diminishing. Now they know better. So we are getting a "monster land" at one of the theme parks. Done in the hope to re-ignite interest before the characters get lost in the shuffle. If you think this cannot happen, think of The Shadow. He was a phenomenal sensation from 1930-1970's. Now...strictly a niche character for extreme devotees like myself. Everyone knows the tagline "The Shadow Knows". Few know what it actually is referencing. Fewer still want merchandising. Same with many old films. It disconcerting.

Mezco's 1:12 line is very successful for them, and folks collect them. They keep on pumping them out. So to dismiss a line simply because you don't personally know anyone collecting them is hardly market research. I am sure Mezco's execs "know" folks buying their products. Yet the ceased Universal Monsters with their initial entry. :peace

I will buy and support Universal Monsters, just as you state you will. The interest in the properties isn't nearly what it was when I started collecting 34 years ago. It isn't even at the same level it was when Sideshow was in their prime. It's down. Believe it....or not.:wink1:

Well, I'll support the TOTS line and hope the Uni Monsters turn out great. I think Sideshow's PF sales are down too and 5 years ago was its peak with insane ES and now they've clearly scaled back. I haven't bought a PF in years but still buy 1/6 once in a while. I think retail is down in general except for Walmart and Amazon who will probably be the last two kings standing. A lot of people are into minimalism these days and they'll buy a superhero or two and then that's it. Excited to have TOTS put these up for PO already

Although I have to admit, the only one of these classic movies I really enjoy is Frankenstein... :lol
As a matter of fact, I just watched '31 Dracula again the other day and I still can't understand why people love it so much... now Frankenstein, that's a truly good movie!

Frankenstein, Bride of Frank and Son of Frank are the only ones I watch usually in October. Also love Abbott and Costello meet Frank... great lighthearted horror/comedy film. I love Bela but agree 1931 Drac isn't the most exciting of the monster films

For people who are saying UNi monsters are dying. Invisible man did well and they are making a new Frankenstein movie like that one.

For people who are saying UNi monsters are dying. Invisible man did well and they are making a new Frankenstein movie like that one.

I am not sayingit as if it's my "gut" on it, I am telling you people who will watch old movies, particularly black and white ones are becoming fewer and fewer. As far as the new takes on invisible man, Frankenstein, and others: those aren't the classic versions of those characters. The Invisible Man movie bore absolutely no resemblance to the Claude Rains classic. I assume you've seen the Rains film, correct?

Lol, tough crowd for a $20 ornament. Look, the sculpt is there, and the paint on the Wolfman (my favorite of the lot) is quite nice. Is it Rainman nice? No....but it isn't 1k either. There haven't been decent Universal Monsters in this scale for ages. For a licensed item, that will sell for less than $140 upon release, just get the thing re-painted. If no one buys them, don't expect to see anything any better. Mezco provided us with an excellent 1:12 Frankenstein, and it didn't sell well enough to warrant any further Universal Monster entries. The fanbase for these oldies dies by the day. Literally.

I think you took me as being too critical, pal. I guess I should have worded it differently but from the ornaments in the picture, I don't feel the paint is tremendous (particularly on Frank) but the sculpt does look pretty good. I think a good paint job can make a semi-bad sculpt good and bad paint can ruin a perfect sculpt. I get it that those are ornaments hence why I will wait for closer to final pictures to show up.

It's ok to disagree, but it's ok for me to disagree with you too,lol. I will explain.

I have been collecting this stuff since 1986, and have also been involved in the creative aspect. Not just a consumer and collector, but a contributor. I can tell you with absolute certainty that demand has diminished, and brand identification is down. Those are facts....not just my "feelings". The Frankenstein ornament isn't sold out. It wasn't offered with the others. It's new for 2020. As for Prada...I know nothing about fashion, but know the name. Same concept applies to Frankenstein. Everyone knows the name/ basics, it's a public domain character. However, the fanbase for the films has diminished.

The execs running Universal's marketing of the Monsters are turning to the limited fan base for instruction. That's what Mabry stated in the interview. The kids in charge now are still running on a 1997 Burger King Kid's Meal style guide for their "inspiration". When they approved or disapproved of a sculpt they were often in error. They were citing things to Mabry such as "Frankenstein is missing a head clamp". He then had to explain to them that they were viewing a still from the sequel, and not the original film. That the monster's appearance changed from film to film. If the folks in charge of the properties haven't even bothered to watch the films, it's problematic. That's diminishing brand recognition. Up until recently, Universal didn't view their brand as diminishing. Now they know better. So we are getting a "monster land" at one of the theme parks. Done in the hope to re-ignite interest before the characters get lost in the shuffle. If you think this cannot happen, think of The Shadow. He was a phenomenal sensation from 1930-1970's. Now...strictly a niche character for extreme devotees like myself. Everyone knows the tagline "The Shadow Knows". Few know what it actually is referencing. Fewer still want merchandising. Same with many old films. It disconcerting.

Mezco's 1:12 line is very successful for them, and folks collect them. They keep on pumping them out. So to dismiss a line simply because you don't personally know anyone collecting them is hardly market research. I am sure Mezco's execs "know" folks buying their products. Yet the ceased Universal Monsters with their initial entry. :peace

I will buy and support Universal Monsters, just as you state you will. The interest in the properties isn't nearly what it was when I started collecting 34 years ago. It isn't even at the same level it was when Sideshow was in their prime. It's down. Believe it....or not.:wink1:

Do you know for certain that Mezco won't be doing anymore of the Universal Monsters in one:12? I wrote them a while back and they responded that they were planning on more.....

As for your thoughts on the monsters and their deaths, it is happening.... Being as you have been involved with them before, I have always questioned a theatrical re-release. Do you think a possible answer is to re-release the monster films at cinemas (not as a "special attraction on a saturday evening" event) as in a fair amount of marketing (obviously not spending a fortune) creating some new posters and new previews to tack on to summer films etc? I think the theme park is a good (if limited exposure) measure. How would you do it to keep them from dying is my question.

Do you know for certain that Mezco won't be doing anymore of the Universal Monsters in one:12? I wrote them a while back and they responded that they were planning on more.....

As for your thoughts on the monsters and their deaths, it is happening.... Being as you have been involved with them before, I have always questioned a theatrical re-release. Do you think a possible answer is to re-release the monster films at cinemas (not as a "special attraction on a saturday evening" event) as in a fair amount of marketing (obviously not spending a fortune) creating some new posters and new previews to tack on to summer films etc? I think the theme park is a good (if limited exposure) measure. How would you do it to keep them from dying is my question.

On the Mezco 1:12 front:

Someone on another forum I frequent suggested Frankenstein's sales were disappointing. A Mezco rep, who also frequents the boards, became defensive of this assessment/statement. A disagreement ensured between the two parties, and the Mezco rep basically ended the discussion by suggesting Frankenstein didn't under perform, and there would be more monsters.

That was almost 4 years ago, in 2016.

Frankenstein has subsequently been offered on ebay at discount/liquidation prices for awhile now. There have also been no more Universal Monsters showcased at toy fairs or offered for pre-order.

In contrast, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Ash From Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Pennywise have been pumped out. With Michael Myers actually beginning to increase in value. Newer properties, with brand identification and familiarity still more relevant and "fresh" in the public eye. If the Universal Monsters were going to continue, surely 4 years between figures (and counting) is a ridiculously long wait between releases if the line were successful. Or even continuing. I suppose time will tell, but it certainly appears to be discontinued for the time being.

One way Universal could keep the properties alive is exposure. The quite expensive licensing fees, ridiculous restrictions via strict adherence to outdated style guides, and the abandonment of actor likenesses have all helped to smother the creativity and licensing of the brand. Sideshow created a Universal Renaissance. Yet something happened, that no one speaks about. One day, everything disappeared from Sideshow's website that had anything to do with Universal Monsters. Since then, the boom ended. There have been interesting "ticks" upward from time to time. DST and their line of figures with TRU helped get the figures in the public eye. Introducing them not only as collectibles for old farts like me, but to get them in the hands of kids. Much like Sideshow did...in the beginning. If a species doesn't reproduce, it gets endangered and eventually goes extinct. Like foks who collected Roy Rogers memorabilia. Once all the rage, now a niche group at best.

There have to be new and inventive ways offered which bring folks back to the magic of those early flicks, and making folks realize that is what the whole thing was built on. For instance, one of the posters above suggested because of the success of The new Invisble Man flick, that the brand name was alive and kicking. Yet he states he hasn't seen the original film with Claude Rains. What's the answer? I don't know. Re-release is a good idea....embracing the pathos of the actors is a good one too. Universal, instead, seems to try and fight with the heirs, rather than ebnefit from sharing the wealth by keeping them actively in the public eye. Colorization might help some folks take a re-visit. Once it was viewed as "defacing art". Yet if no one comes to look at the art, it loses what it was created for. As long as the original prints in black and white are preserved, it might be worth a look. The blu ray releases, as steelbooks, with art by fan favorite Alex Ross was a nice bridge. I don't know how well they sold, as I am not privvy to best Buy's numbers. Yet they managed to reach a crowd of collectors who knew the films by rep, but only collected steelbook blus. I raised my kids on the Universal Monsters. Before that my kid brothers. Later yet (hopefully my grand kids0. yet neither my kid brothers nor my kids stuck with it. I did. They didn't.

In the 1960-70's and even the early 80's....everyone knew hte monsters, and had some item of merchandising. Now...not so much.:lecture:lecture

I just watched '31 Dracula again the other day and I still can't understand why people love it so

abake, try it again with the Philip Glass score. For me, it transforms the film, going from stagey and slow to mesmerizing. Just the scene between Van Helsing and Dracula coupled with the Glass music, make it worth the price of admission.

The Bela Lugosi film is a classic, and it has survived the test of time. Much like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Miller's Daredevil re-introduced established comic characters for comics, this is what Bela did for Dracula. It's easy almost 100 years later to look at a film or a comic and go "what's the big deal?". The big deal was the impact and influence these things I mentioned had, and still have, on their respective genres. When Christopher Lee first saw it, his reaction was that he didn't immediately appreciate it. When asked about it again about 25 years later, he altered his opinion and sang Bela Lugosi's praises highly. Bela Lugosi's Dracula has been, and will possibly always be, the most iconic version of Dracula to be filmed. Warts and all.

I'm looking forward to these 1/6 figs. Really like Creature and the Wolfman best so far. I hope Frank's monster will look better in hand than in that pic and I hope they do a Bela sculpt. Those would be the four I buy and that's it... can't wait for these and the Halloween 1/6 collection

I wonder if they'll do monochrome versions, like the old Sideshow Universal Monsters did...

Although I have to admit, the only one of these classic movies I really enjoy is Frankenstein... [emoji38]
Yeah, Frankenstein is the better film. I think the Spanish version is a better film - but it don't have Lugosi. He has a screen presence all his own. I've never loved the '31 Dracula, but I'd buy a Lugosi figure all the same. I'm stoked to see some new figures made. I just wished the one:12 line could have kept going because thay Frankenstein was beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Bela Lugosi film is a classic, and it has survived the test of time. Much like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Miller's Daredevil re-introduced established comic characters for comics, this is what Bela did for Dracula. It's easy almost 100 years later to look at a film or a comic and go "what's the big deal?". The big deal was the impact and influence these things I mentioned had, and still have, on their respective genres. When Christopher Lee first saw it, his reaction was that he didn't immediately appreciate it. When asked about it again about 25 years later, he altered his opinion and sang Bela Lugosi's praises highly. Bela Lugosi's Dracula has been, and will possibly always be, the most iconic version of Dracula to be filmed. Warts and all.

I agree with most of what you are saying, it's not that I don't understand what the "big deal" is, it's just that I honestly don't think it's a very good movie, regardless of its impact. I can sit down to watch 1922's Nosferatu, or the aforementioned James Whale Frankenstein (or Kubrick's Spartacus, or Heston's Ben Hur, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or Psycho), and recognise them as truly great movies, regardless of the technical limitations and differences in pace, mood and dramatic intention of nearly 100 years ago. That doesn't happen to me with Lugosi's Dracula.

Got a chance to see a bit of the version with the Glass soundtrack, and it started off well, but as the film progressed, it started to lose cohesion with the images. Don't know how to explain it, it just didn't feel like a soundtrack. I'll watch some more later on, see if it gets better.

I agree with most of what you are saying, it's not that I don't understand what the "big deal" is, it's just that I honestly don't think it's a very good movie, regardless of its impact. I can sit down to watch 1922's Nosferatu, or the aforementioned James Whale Frankenstein (or Kubrick's Spartacus, or Heston's Ben Hur, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or Psycho), and recognise them as truly great movies, regardless of the technical limitations and differences in pace, mood and dramatic intention of nearly 100 years ago. That doesn't happen to me with Lugosi's Dracula.

Got a chance to see a bit of the version with the Glass soundtrack, and it started off well, but as the film progressed, it started to lose cohesion with the images. Don't know how to explain it, it just didn't feel like a soundtrack. I'll watch some more later on, see if it gets better.

Have to say I prefer the original version since it's authentic, and that's part of the charm with vintage movies.

The Wolfman sculpt is a beauty so far. Come on TOTS, let's get some pre-orders going... I just need the Monster, Creature and Wolfman

But has it though? Nostalgia can get in the way of our love of things. Don't get me wrong, I love the casting, and the nice backgrounds, but that story... it just doesn't work in today's story telling in film. Van Helsing goes down to Dracula's place of slumber, and and then we cut to the scene, where Helsing announces Dracula is dead! Ummm okay?! I mean I get it, it's 1931 and you didn't want to show the violence, but really? It's like we're missing a big chunk of story (the most important part), and we're just to assume Van Helsing is telling the truth. So while I loved it as a kid, and my artist proof of Bela's Dracula PF, which is signed and has an illustration of Drac himself on the base, straight from the man Andy Bergholtz who sculpted the piece, I can't help but disagree with the statement it has aged well. *shrugs* ;)

That being said, I do want figures of the all the UMs!

Last edited:
Back