Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, an R-rated movie without China $ bests a Star Wars movie (and the finale in a trilogy) really is a feat. No one here believed it was possible.

Oh, no question! There's a lot that says about the state of SW post-TLJ, but I think it also says a lot about how remarkable the Joker box office was. An R-rated movie with a $55M budget (if I'm remembering right) that goes on to clear a billion without China is absolutely amazing! One of the most remarkable financial achievements for a movie ever.

Still grappling with Rey being a Palpatine, but will probably eventually come round to grudging acceptance.

ba936owzzr011.png

I gotta admit, it is one of the better twists. Here's the "ring theory" I can use to justify it:

PT: Palpatine corrupts Skywalker
OT: Skywalker redeems Skywalker
ST: Palpatine redeems Skywalker

Oh, no question! There's a lot that says about the state of SW post-TLJ, but I think it also says a lot about how remarkable the Joker box office was. An R-rated movie with a $55M budget (if I'm remembering right) that goes on to clear a billion without China is absolutely amazing! One of the most remarkable financial achievements for a movie ever.

AND... if that achievement wasn't enough, Joker also has received the most Oscar noms of the year. Another incredible feat.

AND... I believe Phoenix has won Best Actor for the role in every awards offering in which it has been nominated. Sweep!

It might depend on whether or not The Batman gets released in China. BvS made $96M in China, and JL made over $100M there. Anything similar would be a huge head start for Batman since Joker didn't get to have any China revenue at all.

TROS took only a mere 9 days (yes: 9 days!) to make more than Joker's *entire* domestic total, yet it still might not catch Joker's global total because of the huge disparity in international box office (even with Joker getting no bump from China).

SW movies continue to lag very far behind other franchises when it comes to international revenue. The other big IPs typically get a 35/65 split (sometimes 30/70), but SW is usually closer to 50/50. Maybe they'll start putting Baby Yoda in every movie. :lol

Supposedly the Disney SW parks are converting from First Order era to Baby Yoda era i?m being serious lol

Still, an R-rated movie without China $ bests a Star Wars movie (and the finale in a trilogy) really is a feat. No one here believed it was possible.

Had Solo not bombed yes I did not believe.

But Solo showed SW can fail before Joker showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fact is, I asked a couple times on purpose, if anyone thought Joker might make more than TROS. No one said yes. Not even you.

I don't think anybody saw Joker out grossing TROS prior to Joker's release but we definitely saw it as a possibility when it made half a billion after only 9 days.

I never thought that a billion would be a given for TROS after what TLJ did to Solo. Hell I even wondered if Jumanji 2 might outperform TROS.

Solo is a victim of TLJ. So is TROS.

Fact is, I asked a couple times on purpose, if anyone thought Joker might make more than TROS. No one said yes. Not even you.

Guilty as charged but you know what Wor at the end of day I will have much more of a long term relationship with the ST than Joker.

I?m still dating the PT for crying out loud.

:lol The Holdo Imperative.

This calls for a Jye mashup.

I wouldn?t even know where to begin lol

Last edited:
Is anyone a Star Trek TNG super fan here.

I?m looking for an episode where the enterprise comes swooping in from the sky over a farm on earth in a big pivotal moment during the episode but I don?t remember what that pivotal moment was lol

It was daylight and maybe the farm was in france but I could be wrong.

Help me obi-wan keno......ehhhh wrong franchise.

Solo is a victim of TLJ. So is TROS.

I'm not sure either was a "victim of TLJ". Solo was a film nobody asked for. Heck, I liked TLJ, loved the character of Han Solo, but I wasn't interested in Solo. I never got to watch it in its cinematic release, got to watch part of it in an airplane (but dozed off) and watched snippets of it on TV. None of my friends saw it either. It was a prequel that doesn't really affect any of the other Star Wars stories. It was a story you could have skipped and wouldn't have missed anything. At least in RO, we got to see how the Death Star plans were stolen prior to ANH.

TROS could be a "victim" and if it were, I'd blame it equally to TFA and TLJ. TFA failed to bring something new and compelling outside of nostalgia (something the international audience has less of). TLJ IMO ended up the way it is because of TFA. TFA was criticized for its lack of originality, TLJ went too far off for some fans.
TROS is probably an audience tired of Star Wars in general.

IMO it shows also on toys. Kids nowadays don't know who the OT characters are. Nobody was buying any of the toys here in my country apart from the lightsabers. This year, one of our friends gave away SW action figures to the kids. None of the kids played (or even opened) them. Without nostalgia, I don't think SW as a franchise has anything to stand on right now.

IMO it shows also on toys. Kids nowadays don't know who the OT characters are. Nobody was buying any of the toys here in my country apart from the lightsabers. This year, one of our friends gave away SW action figures to the kids. None of the kids played (or even opened) them. Without nostalgia, I don't think SW as a franchise has anything to stand on right now.

So what's popular over there? What are kids into?

Is anyone a Star Trek TNG super fan here.

I?m looking for an episode where the enterprise comes swooping in from the sky over a farm on earth in a big pivotal moment during the episode but I don?t remember what that pivotal moment was lol

I'm not a super fan, and my memory isn't as good. But I don't think the USS Enterprise D (the ship on TNJ) ever went down into the atmosphere because if I recall right, it was incapable of (only its saucer could).

You might be thinking of TOS episode Tomorrow is Yesterday:

C8AHeCe.jpg

Or Star Trek Enterprise episode Storm Front.

QuJRHJX.jpg

Back