Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got him a couple of weeks ago, finally pulled him out of the box last night and the PERS system on him broke (not happy when I paid around $400 for him). I've seen people disassembling the PERS system to fix it and I'm able to unscrew the plate covering the joystick, but I'm not sure what I need to do to break the seal and don't want to do anything to break the head, given that they alone seem to go for the $170+ mark on ebay.

Anyone able to give me a heads up on what I need to do to safely get the panel off?

I've taken numerous PERS apart but not the Keaton. I'm willing to help you out and go step by step if need be but I'd need pics. I'm not sure what you mean about having to "break the seal". Also, are the eyes just off center or are they not moving at all. And, your sure its just not the joystick that isn't stiff/stuck?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I'll tell you one thing, the screws in mine are fierce little bastards. It took a while to get them off. I think even my smallest screwdriver is slightly too big for it though. So never mind about the pics, I took my own panel off to see what you'd be working with.

Anyway, the panel plus the joystick comes off like so.

20140426_120256_zpsq0apz2yv.jpg

Heres what is looks like without the back panel.

20140426_120536_zpss9uzykqj.jpg

Not a lot of room to work if there was a repair in order. There's usually more room on other sculpts but with Batman it's smaller to keep the cowl as aesthetically pleasing as possible. You see that thing in the sculpt that has the round hole? That's where the joystick goes in to move the eyes together. Some people remove that when PERS gets all wonky and /or breaks. I did on my Joker. Here is what it looks like.

20140426_121429_zpsrqzwctgq.jpg

Now the eyes can be moved independently. I think it can be done with Batman too but it will be harder as there isn't much space. Still, just take off the back panel and see what's going on. The joystick may just be stuck.

Last edited:
Gotta throw in a kudos as well. One of the nicest things I have ever seen from a fellow Freak.

If I were a Premium Freak, I would hit you with rep on that one for sure. Bravo!

Sallah

I've taken numerous PERS apart but not the Keaton. I'm willing to help you out and go step by step if need be but I'd need pics. I'm not sure what you mean about having to "break the seal". Also, are the eyes just off center or are they not moving at all. And, your sure its just not the joystick that isn't stiff/stuck?

Cheers for the assist. Turns out all I had to do was give it a hard tug and the plate came out. Looks likte it's bad news - the left eye is broken at the connector to the joystick bridge.

eye damage.jpg

Does anyone know of someone who makes third party PERS eye struts?

Way to help out a fellow freak Fiend

Word. Brave to break open your own being it's not even broken. Big ups to you man, only take out the pers for dx12 so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta throw in a kudos as well. One of the nicest things I have ever seen from a fellow Freak.

If I were a Premium Freak, I would hit you with rep on that one for sure. Bravo!

Sallah

Aw shucks, guys. Thanks. It was no problem though, I enjoy doing stuff like that. Its the best thing about this board, the helpful people. :)

Cheers for the assist. Turns out all I had to do was give it a hard tug and the plate came out. Looks likte it's bad news - the left eye is broken at the connector to the joystick bridge.

View attachment 106142

Yikes. Sorry to see that. That was the worst case scenario.:( Could you return it for a refund? If not, you may be forced to buy another head, or just take off the part that connects the eyes to move each eye independently. Either way I'm sure this sucks away some of the excitement for this figure, which is a true pity. You could ask around and see if someone has an extra pair of PERS eyeballs, but they may not be the same color if they aren't from the same figure. I'd try to get a refund honestly, but if you go the route of buying another sculpt you should try the commerce section here. More than likely you'll find it cheaper than ebay.

Sorry for your troubles.

Yikes. Sorry to see that. That was the worst case scenario.:( Could you return it for a refund? If not, you may be forced to buy another head, or just take off the part that connects the eyes to move each eye independently. Either way I'm sure this sucks away some of the excitement for this figure, which is a true pity. You could ask around and see if someone has an extra pair of PERS eyeballs, but they may not be the same color if they aren't from the same figure. I'd try to get a refund honestly, but if you go the route of buying another sculpt you should try the commerce section here. More than likely you'll find it cheaper than ebay.

Sorry for your troubles.

Thanks for the help. I can try returning it to the seller, but I get the feeling it'll be more trouble than it's worth. The seller was a complete ****** in response to me simply asking them to contact Hot Toys, fed me BS about the store they got it through, refused to even accept a refund and return initially and then when I called the store to verify it, learned it was BS.

Then when I called them out about it and once again simply requested they contact the place they got it from, suddenly I'm told I'm always a hassle to deal with (I've dealt with him about 3-4 times prior, including selling on the same stall as him on 2 fairs and with the exception of when I and a few others took a while to get him money- several dealings ago - he's never claimed dealing with me is a hassle before) and in amongst a mountain of attitude, tells me he's only prepared to chase up the part for something he personally owns, and that all he's willing to do for me is have me box it up and send it back to him, at which point he'll give me a full refund (also telling him to stop contacting him on his business email - even though I bought it from his adult collectables business). The thing is though, given the attitude he's given me, I'm not sure I can even take him on face value. Ordinarily I'd implicitly trust him, but of late, he's been acting really out of character and it's like I'm dealing with a completely different person.

Thanks for the heads up about the commerce section. Hopefully I can source a replacement eye there.

Thanks for the help. I can try returning it to the seller, but I get the feeling it'll be more trouble than it's worth. The seller was a complete ****** in response to me simply asking them to contact Hot Toys, fed me BS about the store they got it through, refused to even accept a refund and return initially and then when I called the store to verify it, learned it was BS.

Then when I called them out about it and once again simply requested they contact the place they got it from, suddenly I'm told I'm always a hassle to deal with (I've dealt with him about 3-4 times prior, including selling on the same stall as him on 2 fairs and with the exception of when I and a few others took a while to get him money- several dealings ago - he's never claimed dealing with me is a hassle before) and in amongst a mountain of attitude, tells me he's only prepared to chase up the part for something he personally owns, and that all he's willing to do for me is have me box it up and send it back to him, at which point he'll give me a full refund (also telling him to stop contacting him on his business email - even though I bought it from his adult collectables business). The thing is though, given the attitude he's given me, I'm not sure I can even take him on face value. Ordinarily I'd implicitly trust him, but of late, he's been acting really out of character and it's like I'm dealing with a completely different person.

Thanks for the heads up about the commerce section. Hopefully I can source a replacement eye there.

What a jerk. I agree, I definitely wouldn't send it back to him after all that, in hopes of a refund (unless you want risk being out both the figure and the money). That PERS head is completely shot unless you can do some advanced engineering to repair it or you'll move each eye individually on the eyeball level each time you want to change the eye direction. If it was me I'd just position the eyes where I like them and permanently glue them in place...then try to get an additional cowl if I absolutely have to have the PERS function. Not the cheapest solution but PERS is often more trouble than it's worth. I normally test it out gently a very few times, then display the figures looking more or less straight ahead (and slightly up) for the long-term...and virtually never touch the PERS stick again.

Man, that sounds like a bummer. I wouldnt bother sending it back, who knows what that situation would turn into.No need to glue the eyes in place either. I do not suggest doing that. Once you move them where you want them they'll stay there. I can only tell you whay I'd do, which is take that other connecting part off so I can move them individually. Out of all the DX figures I own Keatons eyes are the ones I've moved the least. I think I may have only done it twice, but its been in the same position for several months, slightly turned up. Good luck on getting a new sculpt or whatever you plan to do. :)

Oh, one more concerning the commerce section. You can simply put up a Want to Buy thread. Its basically just a listing outlining what youre looking, and what you're willing to pay if that's what you want to put.

There is not much the seller can do. This figure has been out of production for a couple of years now. Even if they did contact Hot Toys and actually get a response, there is nothing they would do for him either. Unfortunately that is the risk buyers take when buying older figures of a limited nature like these. The reality is the PERS system is a cool idea but kind of sucks in regards to quality. It's not your fault, but its not really the seller's fault either.

View attachment 106142

Hold on, this shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Use some Apoxie Sculpt to reform/replace the plastic. It'll actually be stronger - apoxie holds stronger than the brittle plastic Hot Toys uses in its figures.

It'll take a lot of patience because the thing is so small (meaning you'll also want to use a minimum of sculpt), but you just need nimble fingers or a lot of time to get it right.

Hi there. My Keaton PERS broke immediately however I fixed it quite easy by breaking up a smirking Jack Sparrow head. They are cheap on eBay and I managed to swap the whole eyes out in about 15 minutes. Mine now works fine and looks perfect.

Hi there. My Keaton PERS broke immediately however I fixed it quite easy by breaking up a smirking Jack Sparrow head. They are cheap on eBay and I managed to swap the whole eyes out in about 15 minutes. Mine now works fine and looks perfect.

Giving Michael Keaton a Johnny Depp eye transplant?

Tim Burton would be so proud. :clap

That would work but the eye color would be wrong. That would bother me...

As far as fixing it with epoxy, yeah it can be done, but it wouldnt consider to not be hard....

Back