Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mabaruju.jpg

I had to pick him up since I missed out on the Golden Age version..

The red is badly flaking off of my shield. I didnt notice until it was way too late.

I think the best thing I could do now is simply remove all color and have a silver "prototype" shield.

Any suggestions on how I could easily remove it without damaging the shine underneath?

The red is badly flaking off of my shield. I didnt notice until it was way too late.

I think the best thing I could do now is simply remove all color and have a silver "prototype" shield.

Any suggestions on how I could easily remove it without damaging the shine underneath?

Acetone.
It melts the red and blue paint clean off but doesn't touch the electroplated part.
Then get some brasso, and buff the shield to a high shine!

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

The prototype shield looks great, I was lucky with mine, I got it protected with Tamiya before it started to flake, just in time I feel because there are a couple of tiny chips on the outside edge which would've have got a lot worse pretty quickly if I didn't spray it.
Wouldn't mind a spare shield to create a silver proto tho' but I think they go for a lot of money on the bay.

Acetone.
It melts the red and blue paint clean off but doesn't touch the electroplated part.

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

to be honest buddy,

the flaked shield actually looks cool!

you could still coat it now and it look battle damaged!

what do you think?

to be honest buddy,

the flaked shield actually looks cool!

you could still coat it now and it look battle damaged!

what do you think?

Of course.
I only took the opportunity to put the acetone on it to see what it looked like bare of colour.
If i could do it again, i will most likely have painted some scorch marks on and left it flaking.

Acetone.

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

Nice! I was just about to ask how remove the paint. But I was wondering if I can paint the red part with Gaia 41 and repair the red color on the shield?

Nice! I was just about to ask how remove the paint. But I was wondering if I can paint the red part with Gaia 41 and repair the red color on the shield?

You could use the Gaia Color paint. Or a flat red of the correct shade from a spray can.
When you have removed the red paint, take some good quality masking tape and cut it into 2" strips. Using the 2" strips, cover the shield, making sure the tape is sitting flat with no creases.
When the shield is covered, using a fingernail(Or a pencil), carefully draw around the circles marked into the shield. When the lines are "scribed" enough that you are right into the channels between each circle, sharpen your pencil and keep scribing deeper until you have cut the tape with the pencil.
when you have done that, remove the tape covering the two circles that should be red.
Go around the shield, making sure the other tape is pressed down firmly, then spray it with the Gaia Color 041 in light coats until you get the right shade and use a hair dryer inbetween coats to dry it. When it's dry, remove the tape and check it out. On the off chance you have any paint that bled under the tape, you can lightly remove it with the edge of a scalpel blade if you are careful.
If you removed the blue earlier, once the red has dried overnight, you can repeat the previous steps to mask off the blue around the star.

How is the shield flaking? Mine is still like new. Is it the oils on our hands by touching the shield? I have mine displayed in a glass case and barely touch the shield.

How is the shield flaking? Mine is still like new. Is it the oils on our hands by touching the shield? I have mine displayed in a glass case and barely touch the shield.

No, the paint just doesn't adhere very well to the electroplated chrome finish below it. Even figures that have been sealed in boxes can and do flake eventually. Obviously handling it gives more opportunity for the paint to be knocked loose, but even gravity seems to do the job eventually.

No, the paint just doesn't adhere very well to the electroplated chrome finish below it. Even figures that have been sealed in boxes can and do flake eventually. Obviously handling it gives more opportunity for the paint to be knocked loose, but even gravity seems to do the job eventually.

That sucks, just like how the Batman Begins Suit just deteriorate then. Um never mind, the suit deteriorating is worst then the shield flaking.

Acetone.

Thanks! My shield is now a good looking prototype shield rather than a crappy flaking shield.

You could use the Gaia Color paint. Or a flat red of the correct shade from a spray can.
When you have removed the red paint, take some good quality masking tape and cut it into 2" strips. Using the 2" strips, cover the shield, making sure the tape is sitting flat with no creases.
When the shield is covered, using a fingernail(Or a pencil), carefully draw around the circles marked into the shield. When the lines are "scribed" enough that you are right into the channels between each circle, sharpen your pencil and keep scribing deeper until you have cut the tape with the pencil.
when you have done that, remove the tape covering the two circles that should be red.
Go around the shield, making sure the other tape is pressed down firmly, then spray it with the Gaia Color 041 in light coats until you get the right shade and use a hair dryer inbetween coats to dry it. When it's dry, remove the tape and check it out. On the off chance you have any paint that bled under the tape, you can lightly remove it with the edge of a scalpel blade if you are careful.
If you removed the blue earlier, once the red has dried overnight, you can repeat the previous steps to mask off the blue around the star.

Thanks, I'm bout to give it a try.

My shield still had no flaking as of, oh, 6 months ago or so. I applied a clear dull coat to it, and it still looks great. Something to consider if you have one of these that hasn't flaked yet.

Back