Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just received him and put it together. He's awesome but there's a bit too much orange on mine. I can live with it though. No broken pieces, but the square peg on the left foot on top of the skull doesn't align, so the foot is sitting on top of it. It sorta gives him a cocky chest out look instead of a looking down type look as seen in the pics. Anyone else have an issue with the pegs not lining up ?

Glad you like him as a whole. :rock Stinks about the peg but could you heat it up to move it any?

He's amazing in person except for that orange paint. Mine has plenty. He seems more orange than any other color :lol Ok slight exaggeration. I guess I could try heating it up a bit, but I'd be afraid to snap the leg or something. I went through this thread a bit and I noticed a few that seem to have the same problem judging by the pics.

Yeah, I've seen a few that got it a little more. When it's done right (like mine) it's a fantastic effect but when it's off it isn't so much. As long as you're gentle with it you should be ok.

Yeah I'm glad mine is subtle. There is a little excess on the outward leg, but the base is pretty minimal compared to others. I really like the effect and feel like the statue would certainly be missing some oomph without it.

I agree. For me it's just a nice little addition. Obviously that will vary depending upon who you are as we've seen in the various posts in this thread.

I have been looking for a good light source to portray the burning hot orange of the lava onto this statue. I have tried a couple not so expensive LED color strips, but they are either NOT strong enough, or lack that accurate orange that is on the statue already.

Anyone found a Light that works well with this statue for this effect?

AS far as "matching" the color, might be easier to find/buy a light you like and then apply a colored lens or tint over top.

This way you do not have to worry about matching actual light / bulb color, but can buy a light setup you like and then just play with covers until you nail it.

The glow effect is a neatly treat, but the plastic color is the one that is keeping me on the fence if i should repaint it. And well, then i have to repaint the glow wich would be difficult for me to do....or impossible...

The glow effect is a neatly treat, but the plastic color is the one that is keeping me on the fence if i should repaint it. And well, then i have to repaint the glow wich would be difficult for me to do....or impossible...
The black dry brushing and I think someone used charcoal too made the plastic look go away pretty easy without a total repaint.

It's a great piece. Obviously opinions will vary but I'm in the camp that he looks pretty damn good. I'd get off the fence and get this but I understand you wanting to make sure you're 100% happy first.

The black dry brushing and I think someone used charcoal too made the plastic look go away pretty easy without a total repaint.

Hm, may look into that.

It's a great piece. Obviously opinions will vary but I'm in the camp that he looks pretty damn good. I'd get off the fence and get this but I understand you wanting to make sure you're 100% happy first.

It is really a piece worth owning. I bought it regardless of members talking about the plastic look. It still is remarkable, stunning and fantastic statue, but less plastic it would get even nicer.

I dislike the plastic look, but bought it anyway. Figured worst case, I can at least have the piece around to have it repainted later in life...just not this second. At the same time, basically picked up a legendary scale character at half the price.

I personally have not done, but just in thinking, to help recreate the light effect after a repaint...
Get a light and sort of position it where it would shine from the same direction that the painted light effect seems to be coming from. Use where the light falls / hits the piece as a stencil or as a marker as to where the reflected light should show. Then I would assume it would be (easier said than done) simply point spray can along that same direction as the light/stencil, mask off other areas and lightly spray from that angle. Starting very lightly so you can add / build up / and fade the light from area to area.

Again, just my mind at work, rather than actually having done it.

I understand. I love mine and I love how it looks. Like I said I understand not everyone will feel this way. For me this is easily SS best solo LOTR piece.

That would be me,lol.
Hated the plastic look and without any painting skills I'd took the plunge to charcoal the dark lord.Easy to apply.
The good thing about this treatment...you can add as much and take away until you are satisfy with the result.Afterwards you can fix the charcoal with a transparent, pastel fixative (spray) you find in hobbystores.I did another one for a friend and did his specimen darker then mine per request.Here are my photos...hope this helps.

sauron011_zpsb52f2e28.jpg

sauron014_zps67a47cd7.jpg

sauron028_zpsd1ac936a.jpg

sauron029_zpscca02712.jpg

sauron033_zps38a0bb4e.jpg

sauron034_zps27868369.jpg

sauron026_zps14e22441.jpg

sauron016_zpsf5401085.jpg

sauron015_zps8e7fdf12.jpg

darklord033_zps448ba7e2.jpg

darklord070_zps81d26635.jpg

darklord072_zpsf7000b77.jpg

darklord073_zps4ebb1e8a.jpg

darklord075_zpsc8526e8a.jpg

darklord085_zpsd6fce858.jpg

darklord089_zpsc6bc687b.jpg

darklord101_zps380c0edf.jpg

sauron006_zps0f948408.jpg

sauron010_zps416bc920.jpg

helm001_zpsba336292.jpg

helm003_zps64f40eaa.jpg

helm008_zps140d3e91.jpg

AFterwards I touched up with some silver.
pj003_zps30853b2d.jpg

Last edited:
Back