HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the episode....I am mesmerized by gilly's teeth....oddly attractive:wink1:....I don't like the ending....we get it daenerys frees the slaves....but I don't want to end on that....seems like an opening scene to me

People are complaining about that Sept scene.

I think it was just because of how it was changed from the book. The rapey undertones weren't present in the book, from what I understand, and people are thinking this ruins his character. I kinda tend to think that the writers were/are worried that Jamie will become too much of a fan favorite, so this change was a bit of a course correction. Considering that conversation between Cersei and Brienne last ep, and the sept sex scene, I tend to think the writers want to make Cersei more relatable, or maybe more sympathetic.

Isn't the sept scene written from his perspective in the book?

Also, while there was a lot of force involved, I didn't get the impression that it was entirely non-consensual.

I think it was just because of how it was changed from the book. The rapey undertones weren't present in the book, from what I understand, and people are thinking this ruins his character. I kinda tend to think that the writers were/are worried that Jamie will become too much of a fan favorite, so this change was a bit of a course correction. Considering that conversation between Cersei and Brienne last ep, and the sept sex scene, I tend to think the writers want to make Cersei more relatable, or maybe more sympathetic.

You're right. It was more consensual in the book.

Isn't the sept scene written from his perspective in the book?

Also, while there was a lot of force involved, I didn't get the impression that it was entirely non-consensual.

The circumstances in the show are different. At that point: Jaime arrives; he comes to know that Joffrey died on his way back home with Brienne.

When I watched it at first, I perceived it as a rape, not knowing the books. I definitely saw it as a bit more ambiguous after rewatching it. Still, it is really pushing the line on rape, if it is indeed consensual in Cersei's mind.

What amazed me were people having meltdowns about it, screaming about how 'out of character' it was. Jaime has done some terrible things. Saving Brienne or even Kings Landing two decades ago is not going to make Bran Stark walk again or bring the Lannister cousin he murdered back to life.

But raping his sister with whom he had three kids after she baited him with sex hoping to get him to murder their obviously innocent brother, and suddenly he is a "monster" as Amanda Marcotte of Slate put it, having previously been merely "morally ambiguous". He also had taunted Brienne about how she really wanted, which is the m.o. of many actual rapists.

But I love Jaime warts and all.

People complaining about out of character haven't been paying attention.

And it was consensual, if Cercei really wanted it she could have stopped it.

It puzzles me that the internet is forcing the scene to seem controversial in some way, like if from now on every episode HAS to have a "moment".... It makes the real controversial moments loose potency.

It's moments like these (amongs many others) when the social networks bore me.

Wow, people are really sticking with this whole "Jaime raped Cersei" nonsense, huh? There's even an article on Yahoo about how the characters are now forever ruined. :rotfl

She was just upset that Joffery was right there. Same with Tywin insulting him.

I'm just let down in Jamie in general, he knows she's a ***** and he has better options now.

When I watched it at first, I perceived it as a rape, not knowing the books. I definitely saw it as a bit more ambiguous after rewatching it. Still, it is really pushing the line on rape, if it is indeed consensual in Cersei's mind.

It's very aggressive on his part, and she is putting up a lot of resistance, and I realize it's not the best subject for splitting hairs over, but I'm fairly certain that she was fighting for was her manipulative upper hand over Jaime. Witholding sex from him was a means to control him, even though she wanted it. Him pushing was breaking her down, which is why she returned most of his kisses, and was reduced to using Joffrey's corpse as an excuse.

What amazed me were people having meltdowns about it, screaming about how 'out of character' it was. Jaime has done some terrible things. Saving Brienne or even Kings Landing two decades ago is not going to make Bran Stark walk again or bring the Lannister cousin he murdered back to life.

The professionally and congenitally indignant will never pass up an opportunity to wax histrionic, given the venue and audience. Selective character judgment until it serves their purpose is a classic symptom.

But raping his sister with whom he had three kids after she baited him with sex hoping to get him to murder their obviously innocent brother, and suddenly he is a "monster" as Amanda Marcotte of Slate put it, having previously been merely "morally ambiguous". He also had taunted Brienne about how she really wanted, which is the m.o. of many actual rapists.

Exactly.

Back