Any thoughts on Xenon vs. Halogen for Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zidane

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was at Home Depot earlier and saw a Xenon light for about $10 and a halogen for about $14. I know people like LED's but to save some money which of these would you go with?

Also, both were 120V 20W

Ok I will bite, The Xenon Light are Cooler as far as Temp goes and the light that radiates in a different light spectrum but I have heard they do not have a long life and start to fade over a short period of time, That said it also depends on how long you leave the lights on but the Halogen does radiate more Heat but does but does flood the area better JIMO, just beware to not leave anything for long periods of time at a range close enough to cause damage to what you want to Display but that goes for anything, This is what I use for overhead lights from IKEA with Halogen bulbs and I replaced the wall switch with a Dimmer wall switch so I can set the overhead lights at any level I require for Mood Lighting
100_7057.jpg

but for my Detolfs at present time I use the NON light kits from IKEA and they do not radiate to much heat and I have left them on for a few hours, Good Luck with your decision Zidane

Ok I will bite, The Xenon Light are Cooler as far as Temp goes and the light that radiates in a different light spectrum but I have heard they do not have a long life and start to fade over a short period of time, That said it also depends on how long you leave the lights on but the Halogen does radiate more Heat but does but does flood the area better JIMO, just beware to not leave anything for long periods of time at a range close enough to cause damage to what you want to Display but that goes for anything, This is what I use for overhead lights from IKEA with Halogen bulbs and I replaced the wall switch with a Dimmer wall switch so I can set the overhead lights at any level I require for Mood Lighting
100_7057.jpg

but for my Detolfs at present time I use the NON light kits from IKEA and they do not radiate to much heat and I have left them on for a few hours, Good Luck with your decision Zidane

Just looked them up at IKEA. It says not to have anything less than 4" inches away? My DX's on the stands are less than that??? Any pics of your set-up?
The Dioder looks nice but at $49.99 its smells pretty ugly!

Last edited:
Seems like everyone around here thinks halogen is too hot, may get in on the LED movement if I can find agreeable prices.

The LED may seem expensive but you gotta think also what you have to display. These collectibles are not cheap. I started with the cheap lighting and it bothered me everytime I turn the light on and when I put my hand under the light, I can feel the heat. I know long-term, that will eventually damage the paint.

LED Lights virtually almost has no heat so on weekends, I dont turn off the lights to my displays. Also, the lighting is better, has a nice white glow. The cheap lights has a yellowish tint to it.

LED lights also has a lifetime of 5 to 8 years. Bottomline, its worth it.

Back