Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gandalf the Grey Premium Format statue review

We may never see the full Fellowship in sixth scale, but we're getting closer in the Premium Format style with the release of Gandalf the Grey. He has an issue here or there, but I think he's my favorite PF so far this year.

You can check out the review at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
    MWC

2. Collectibles Direct UK-300x250 Collectibles Direct UK-300x250 Collectibles Direct UK-300x250
    Nice review Michael.

I would say that I disagree with your "you'd never use the exclusive head". You make a point (twice actually) to point out that Gandalf is in the scene with the Balrog. In those scenes, Gandalf doesn't wear the hat. So, if you believe that's where the scene comes from, the no hat is the only way to go. In fact, he doesn't wear it in the Moria mines at all, that I can remember.

Yea, but that's not iconic Gandalf. I suspect most folks are going to display him with the hat, but if you're going for the specific look then yes, go hatless.

Gunga Galunga
    Feedback
    41 (100%)

Mine will be hatless most of the time as well. The hat makes Gandalf normally, but this particular sculpt is a Moria Mines environment and pose, and the hatless head is the way to go.

Blue Flame of the West/Mod MODERATOR
    Feedback
    I was surprised by how much I like the look with the hatless portrait. Add to that the fact that the lighting in my cabinet is over his head, putting his face in shadow when wearing the hat, and I will swap them out more than I ever would have thought.

But even though I would personally go for the full four stars, I really agree with the bulk of the review and I agree that it's the PF of the year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
    Nice review Michael.

I would say that I disagree with your "you'd never use the exclusive head". You make a point (twice actually) to point out that Gandalf is in the scene with the Balrog. In those scenes, Gandalf doesn't wear the hat. So, if you believe that's where the scene comes from, the no hat is the only way to go. In fact, he doesn't wear it in the Moria mines at all, that I can remember.
    I thought it was from this scene.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

strikes and gutters, man
    Feedback
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post
    I was surprised by how much I like the look with the hatless portrait. Add to that the fact that the lighting in my cabinet is over his head, putting his face in shadow when wearing the hat, and I will swap them out more than I ever would have thought.

But even though I would personally go for the full four stars, I really agree with the bulk of the review and I agree that it's the PF of the year so far.

My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post

That was definitely a surprise, I thought it was pointless exclusive but in hand the hatless portrait catches Gandalf really well and I'm glad they did it.

Awesome PF, and a definite contender for PF of the year.

Not rich enough...
    Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smc100 View Post
    I thought it was from this scene.
    You are 100% correct, sir. I don't know why people thought it was from the scene with the Balrog, since there were no stairs on the bridge.

The Twilight Saga: A tale about a girl torn between bestiality and necrophilia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast