Bioshock: Infinite

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty dissapointed with bioshock 2. Seemed rushed, pieced together just to make some money off the original's success.

Hopefully this is better.

Well I heard it kind of sours the experience of the first one and I looooved Bioshock. I wouldn't want to taint it.

For some reason, I liked Bioshock 2 more than the original, but just barely... both are fantastic games! I went through 2 about 3 times when I first got it! I agree with Ill... you should at least rent it and give it a try.

A little off topic but I still hope HT get this license. Imagine a Big Daddy with LED "eyes" with interchangable yellow,green and red lenses and a Little Sister accessory figure with LED eyes :drool
:drool indeed.

A fee weeks ago NECA teased something on there Twitter feed that looked to be a 1/6 scale Bouncer helmet with those yellow, red and green lights!

...Watched the trailer a 2nd time, really digging the vibe so far, I wonder if there will be any sort of splicing/powers? The mechanical thing crushing the big daddy statue in the beginning was also pretty cool, looks like they will be fairly threatening.
I am in love with that trailer.

Main character: Booker Dewitt
AI ally: Elizabeth (girl seen in trailer)

Setting: Floating metropolis called Columbia. America 1912.

Kevin Levine is a genius. The original Bioshock's biggest draw for me was the setting, atmosphere, and the ideas that were conceived. 1960's American ideals mixed with Ayn Rand philosophy and art deco aesthetics. That was great.

Levine has some really great concepts for Bioshock Infinite's early 1900's era.

https://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3180831&p=

The Iron Fist of Democracy

The first BioShock wasn't set in the "real" world, yet the ideals and style of the game's alternate 1960 setting infused every aspect of its underwater city, Rapture. And in the same way, BioShock Infinite is heavily influenced by the culture of the early 1900s. "We wouldn't recognize America in 1880," Levine explains. "America was an agricultural backwater. It was agrarian. It was not really a player in the world stage. We'd gone through the Civil War, where 620,000 Americans died. Think about that. That's like today, if six million Americans were killed in a war. This was not a country interested in imperialism."

"But by 1900, 20 years later, we weren't a small agrarian country anymore. We weren't producing wheat and cattle -- we were producing radios, motion pictures, cars. We were producing way more than we could consume. And you know what we needed? We needed markets. And we looked to the East, we looked to Asia, and we saw a great open path to all of Asia for us, and that was the Philippines. It had just thrown off the Spanish, and there was a lot of conflict about, 'should we annex the Philippines?' President McKinley, at the time, at first didn't want to. He had been through the Civil War. He had seen the death and destruction at Antietam. He had seen what happens in war. And he thought about it a long time, and finally he made his decision." But that decision is glossed over or ignored in most U.S. history books: We did annex the Philippines, and Levine says, "This is the world Columbia enters into: The time when we took the Philippines. Where we killed [around] 1 million Filipinos..."

"The same way Rapture represented a certain spirit of America at the time, so does Columbia." And that jingoistic feeling of superiority pervades BioShock Infinite's world. Signs you find scattered around the city reflect America's initial violent approach to imperialism. On a wall you see a poster of a woman holding up a sickly baby with words "Burden not Columbia with your chaff" emblazoned across the bottom. Meanwhile, the very first sign Levine shows off in the demo shows Uncle Sam surrounded by various minorities cowering in fear; the text around him reads: "It is our holy duty to guard against the foreign hordes." Unlike the first BioShock, which was heavily tied to objectivism, BioShock Infinite is "less about a particular person this time and more about a period. There were a ton of ideas going on around this time. One of them is a utopian future; a future where technology was going to solve all our problems. One is a sense of America really becoming a player on the world stage...and we really thought we could be a positive force. But look at what happened in the Philippines. It's really interesting to see the world in this really positive sense, then to see what really happens."

Bioshock is one of my top five games ever, possibly top three (they're not actually ordered... I don't know what my #1 would be), and I would definitely recommend the sequel.

I understand where some people are coming from, though. It felt more like a very well done expansion pack. Which, if you're a Bioshock obsessive, is still a great thing.

I still don't know what to think about Infinite. I'm really going to miss being underwater, but I'm fine with putting my trust in them to present an amazing game.

I finally watched the trailer and I gotta say it doesn't feel as...creepy as the original Bioshock. But maybe that's just me because I have a fear of being trapped underwater but heights don't bother me at all.

I finally watched the trailer and I gotta say it doesn't feel as...creepy as the original Bioshock. But maybe that's just me because I have a fear of being trapped underwater but heights don't bother me at all.

Yeah I'll admit the trailer doesn't grab me that much. Everything about Rapture was so well done, but the beautiful claustrophobia it offered was the best part.

But again, I'm certainly willing to trust them.

To be honest, as much as I like Bioshock, I was really hoping that Levine and his Irrational Games team were working on a new property. Turns out this was 'Project Icarus' all along.

If not a new IP, then System Shock 3...which sadly seems further and further away now.

Andrew Ryan is not someone I'll be forgetting anytime soon, as opposed the female villain in 2 who I really have forgotten.

This man is correct. I haven't played the first one since 2007, but Ryan is definitely more memorable than what's-her-face.

~~Can't wait for this one to come out. I love me some Bio-Shock.

I played both the first and second--and while the second one was fun, it really seemed like I was just playing the first one all over again. I'm glad they are trying something new and a little different with the third.

A while back, I listenedd to an episode of the GFW (Games For Windows) podcast that had both Ken Levine as special guests as well as Shawn Elliot, who at the time had begun working at Irrational Games. I think it was either Shawn or Jeff Green (the host of GFW podcast) who revealed that the original plan was for Irrational to do the following games:

"Bioshock, Aeroshock, Geoshock"

I wonder if Aeroshock became Bioshock: Infinite. I think it's entirely possible that the publisher wanted them to change the name to tie it to a successful franchise now.

i think this looks great. judging from the trailer there will be great visuals.

Yeah, I say Bioshock 2 didn't come close to the original. Still a fun game but it just didn't have quite the excitement from the first. It did seamed rushed and not quite what they could have done with it. Still have hope for this one.

Back