Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it a month or so ago... ive certainly calmed down (thanks to hail the king) but its still such pos Iron man movie...

the only "heroic" thing he did was save pepper at the mansion assault sequence. then when she died he was shocked for all of 2 seconds... within two minutes he's making light hearted jokes to killian. Not really how youd expect him to react... especially when the whole set up of the movie is his fear of not being able to protect the one thing he cant live without...

im over tha Mandarin thing, but theres still a lot that I cant get over, and hopefully they never let Shane Black touch another Marvel film...

Well I saw that BB finally had this blu on sale for $19.99 so I went ahead and picked it up. I watched it last night for only the third time total.

I *really* liked it. After a year and a half of adjusted expectations (and a little extra knowledge from the "Hail to the King" one shot) I think I might prefer this movie to all of Phase I save TFA!

*Edited for space*

:goodpost: I like what you had to say, Khev. :clap :clap :clap

I know this film gets a bad rap, but I thought that it was pretty good too.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a long time and I found it enjoyable and that was my first thought, "this movie gets a bad rap".

Not everyone likes it and that's okay, to each their own, I like it and that's all that matters. :D

Same here. I quite enjoy it. Glad to see Khev changing sides on it.

The Dark Side?
trident.gif

I'm liking Khev more and more each day!

Remember I tried to say this last year, and all you'd rebut is your disdain for the drone suits not actually having Stark in them. :(

Great post and insight though.

Thanks. I had a good amount of bias against Stark/Iron Man last year after all the Whedon pandering in The Avengers and didn't give IM3 a fair enough shake. But now I can easily say its a damn well done movie.

Say what you will, Marvel doing hail the king is evidence enough for me that it was poorly received and they had to clean up Shanes mess (what they could anyway). I also think its a big reason they wouldn't give the Ant man Director free reign, had to tighten things up over there.

I think Hail to the King was made more for the people who didn't understand IM3. It was all there in IM3, it just required more than "OMG WHUR IRON MANZ???!!!!" :huh :lol

I think Hail to the King was made more for the people who didn't understand IM3. It was all there in IM3, it just required more than "OMG WHUR IRON MANZ???!!!!" :huh :lol

no it was a back peddle from the mess they let shane make... I understand the "edgy" layered narrative they thought they would be able to pull off... it didnt work. And it is not only the worst iron man movie, but the worst super hero movie in a long time. the whole point of being a hero is sacrifice and heroic deeds... there wasnt a single heroic moment in the film other then throwing the armor on pepper, and id say that more chivalry than heroic

and the obvious reason its a back pedal is because Shane and his writer on the Blu ray commentary talk at length about how "this is the MCU mandarin" and how they though Feige wouldnt go for it etc... and they talked about how happy they were to have the decision supported... then a year later it gets rewritten in hail the king... to say its an extension is just stupid

Last edited:
and the obvious reason its a back pedal is because Shane and his writer on the Blu ray commentary talk at length about how "this is the MCU mandarin"

Who cares if its a backpedal or not. Follow-up movies do that all the time. ALIENS, T2, even ESB all retconned statements/situations from their previous films. But that's not allowed in the MCU?

no it was a back peddle from the mess they let shane make... I understand the "edgy" layered narrative they thought they would be able to pull off... it didnt work. And it is not only the worst iron man movie, but the worst super hero movie in a long time. the whole point of being a hero is sacrifice and heroic deeds... there wasnt a single heroic moment in the film other then throwing the armor on pepper, and id say that more chivalry than heroic

and the obvious reason its a back pedal is because Shane and his writer on the Blu ray commentary talk at length about how "this is the MCU mandarin" and how they though Feige wouldnt go for it etc... and they talked about how happy they were to have the decision supported... then a year later it gets rewritten in hail the king... to say its an extension is just stupid

You can claim it was a backpedal all you want, and maybe it felt like that for you and others who really didn't understand it, but it was all there. Somewhere on Jye's wall there's a visitor message with me explaining all of that before Hail to the King was ever even filmed. As far as Shane's commentary, there's media interviews with him also stating (pre Hail to the King), that it was always intended for Trevor to be a patsy but he gets the anger around the character as it was shot in such a way that if Marvel chose to have him be the Madarin, they could. They don't and HttK proves that.

it was shot in such a way that if Marvel chose to have him be the Madarin, they could. They don't and HttK proves that.

Yep. These movies are anything but the sole vision of their individual directors. And with MCU going the extra mile to bring back Kingsley himself for a one-shot (which typically feature only supporting characters or has beens from "Swimfan") spell out what's really going on with the character then I have no problem accepting that as canon.

If I were to guess I'd assume that the only reason they did the one-shot NOW was because of the crying online. Otherwise they probably would have opened Iron Man 4 or 5 with the reveal of the real Mandarin. But Feige was probably all, "good gosh the weeping and wailing about our twist, better give them all a pacifier now and just spill the beans in a quick one-shot so they can get over themselves."

The whole mandarin thing never really bothered me so much. This is the marvel CINAMATIC universe not the marvel comics universe. Thor never taps a stick and turns to Donald Blake, Bucky did not "die" by an exploding plane, Hulk never turned grey, and the Mandarin never was a bad guy that had ten rings of power.thats just the way it is, I may not agree with everything, but I'm ok with it.

While I agree with most of this post, there were a number of heroic moments in the film, even still the movie is a giant turd.

If people like this movie, then Marvel can literally make anything and get away with it.

Back