The Amazing Spider-Man - OPEN SPOILERS NOW

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man

Spoiler Spoiler:

:dunno

The scene and powers point fairly obviously to
Spoiler Spoiler:
Not sure where the
Spoiler Spoiler:
guesses come from at all.

Well, just came back from the Amazing Spiderman, and loved it. Went in pretty open minded. Did not re watch any prior Spidey movie.

Lizard effects themselves, look real to me. Those saying it looked fake or off just left me scratching my head. I went in expecting crap Lizard special effects, and thought it looked very, very good.

Agreed very well done i thought.

Sorry Fabs I gave the short version of the Raimi plot formula in a hurry, rather then kiss I should have said "been with."

Norman tested it on himself because he had a deadline and would have lost Oscorp if he lost the military contact so I'm counting that. Now new ASM Norman definately is already evil.

MJ is kidnapped 4 times in 3 movies. Overboard is being generous. Aunt may beats up a super villain, dangles 40 stories high by an umbrella, my mothers not quite that old and can't open a jar.

Norman still gives his sorry speech even if its BS it's the same recycled plot element with a minor twist. Ock still kills himself regardless of if it's for good or not, Sandman is the exception but still apologises.

I never said suicide, but he can handle nothing, school, work, rent, walking down a street without falling. :lol

Last edited:

Practical makeup looked great, the cgi not so much. I never once believed it looked like a real creature.

2 different directors, from 2 different eras, pulling their stories from distinctly different writers and artists.

Raimi's affinity was toward Lee/Ditko, while Webb obviously pulled his style from McFarlane and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man.

They are distinctly different visions of the same character that has been around for 50 years. To say that one vision of the story is 'literally garbage' because there is a newer vision, is immature.

2 different directors, from 2 different eras, pulling their stories from distinctly different writers and artists.

Raimi's affinity was toward Lee/Ditko, while Webb obviously pulled his style from McFarlane and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man.

They are distinctly different visions of the same character that has been around for 50 years. To say that one vision of the story is 'literally garbage' because there is a newer vision, is immature.

I'd agree ten fold if I had actually ever enjoyed the originals.

For example Burton's Batman is still a fun flick.

And I do agree that since they are taking material from the same source that people arleady know, love and want, there are bound to be similarities which is why they don't bother me.

There was nothing about Raimi's Spider-Man 1 or 2 you enjoyed at all? That was all I needed to hear... :thud:

Aside from the fight scenes in 2, nope. The Goblin/Spidey fights are so awkward and unimpressive.

Look at the actual choreography, compare the webbing up of Goblin to the webbing up of Lizard in the school hallway, he's jumping all over him, swinging all around him.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6B7d_Hi9gw[/ame]

What about JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson....JJJ isn't even IN the reboot! One of the strongest supporting characters in Spidey history was just tossed out with Uncle Ben's corpse that nobody mourned...

For myself, fav parts in movie was when Peter was getting used to his new powers - some fun moments there, and glad Flash felt like a real person, ultimately. Gave him a character range that I appreciated; not just a D!CK 24/7/365

Sorry Fabs I gave the short version of the Raimi plot formula in a hurry, rather then kiss I should have said "been with."

Norman tested it on himself because he had a deadline and would have lost Oscorp if he lost the military contact so I'm counting that. Now new ASM Norman definately is already evil.

MJ is kidnapped 4 times in 3 movies. Overboard is being generous. Aunt may beats up a super villain, dangles 40 stories high by an umbrella, my mothers not quite that old and can't open a jar.

Norman still gives his sorry speech even if its BS it's the same recycled plot element with a minor twist. Ock still kills himself regardless of if it's for good or not, Sandman is the exception but still apologises.

I never said suicide, but he can handle nothing, school, work, rent, walking down a street without falling. :lol

Yeah, I see your edit now. Maybe I'm being a bit too protecting or generous but just the same, I think you're being a little harsh.

Still, a lot of that stuff doesn't fly.

Also, I didn't see this,

Nothing in this movie comes remotely close to the epicly ____ acting that is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SsHq2huUEs

These characters have souls and chemistry. The action is every bit as sharp and witty. It's funny without being stupid.

What about in the first film when Peter loses his Uncle. His father figure that raised him since he was a kid?

Within seconds Maguire goes from real tears to an angry rage upon hearing that the NYPD have found the man that took away his Uncle.

https://youtu.be/TeN8bCivssU?t=42m39s

Or how about later when he learns that it was all his fault and has to contemplate how he's going to tell Aunt May on top of the Chrysler building gargoyle?

https://youtu.be/TeN8bCivssU?t=47m16s

amazing20fantasy201520spider-man20origin.jpg

spiderman-myfault.jpg

3997990461_89f2727140_o.jpg

And I guess there's nothing "real" about the father/son relationship between Dafoe and Franco or the witty banter with Simmons' J Jonah Jameson and his daily bugle staff.

I love Sheen but is he anywhere as loveable or caring as Cliff Robertson's Uncle Ben? Which "responsibility" speeches/talks is more convincing, the one in the first Spider-Man or TASM.

Molina Ock isn't good? Dafoe doesn't add depth to his Goblin with his own genuine creepiness?

I mean I can see them not being someone's cup a tea. But I don't see how anyone can think they're utter trash.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_a90UvUGI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:

I'd say the 2002 film was right for the time but it's aged pretty quickly. I was 13 when it came out and loved every minute:D

What about JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson....JJJ isn't even IN the reboot! One of the strongest supporting characters in Spidey history was just tossed out with Uncle Ben's corpse that nobody mourned...

no but they might be putting him in the second one remember the daily bugle paper towards the end ?

JJJ will be in the sequel I'm sure, we got a hint at the Daily Bugle wanting photos of Lizard, we got Parker attempting to get those photos but failing in the sewer and his camera being crushed.

Well, just came back from the Amazing Spiderman, and loved it. Went in pretty open minded. Did not re watch any prior Spidey movie.

Lizard effects themselves, look real to me. Those saying it looked fake or off just left me scratching my head. I went in expecting crap Lizard special effects, and thought it looked very, very good. . Not sure if I loved the design, but it works well - felt like I was watching a real creature and not an effect.

Speaking of real, holy crap! Those Spiderman shots of him swinging around look amazing *pun intended*. Not once did I feel like I was watching a CGI shot, as I did in the last three movies. To be honest, not sure which shots are practical and which are not......

Actors - excellent

Story - very good - I agree that the twist origin story in marketing B.S.; of course, there is the parents substoryline, but its a little tacked on, IMO. Didn't detract from story, but added just a little to the Peter storyline.

Mask removal reveals - happens three or four times, but only one bugged me, when Spidey takes his mask off at school, and just runs down hallway...! Argh

Music - completely forgettable

Loved it overall, bring on more!

I feel pretty much the same way, except I wanted them to change the origin more, I hope they go the route with Peter being genetically altered by his dad to further push the mutation story line they have going on and peter being the beginning of it all.

I'm also quite shocked that James Horner did the music and this was pretty flat, seems like he only gives his best to James Cameron.

And the shot of peter running down the hallway with his mask off was a real "wtf?" moment, like really? why? lol

Well I'm off for some bbq dinner, see the movie for yourselves, keep an open mind, and most important, remember these stories existed before Raimi got to them and he's not the be all end all of Spiderman.

More me the flying sequences in ASM was an amalgamation of all of my favourite artists work. Nearly every epic pose was shown during one of the scenes.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm also quite shocked that James Horner did the music and this was pretty flat, seems like he only gives his best to James Cameron.

And the shot of peter running down the hallway with his mask off was a real "wtf?" moment, like really? why? lol

I am convinced that the go to guys that do movie after movie after movie need a rest. They are all sounding generic

Yeah, that scene left me kinda mad - there was absolutely no reason he would have taken his mask off at that moment. I mean, it lasts seconds, but I was like, 'come on'

Back