Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been to Universal. We do WDW at least once a year. We planned on hitting Universal when Potter first opened but the crowds looked crazy so we thought we'd let it die down first. Now that there's news of expansion (the news made it to Jersey but I don't think it's gotten over the Rockies yet) we figure we'll wait for that. Then I'm sure we'll find another reason to put it off. We're Potter fans but we are bigger Disney fans so it's always a compromise we don't want to make when we start seriously planning our trips.

That's been the case with us the past number of trips. I love USF, but it's tough to leave the WDW compound once you're inside.

But this upcoming trip is 9 days, so I figure that gives us just a little buffer time to get over to USF for a couple of the days, then back to WDW for dinner.

I've never been to Universal. We do WDW at least once a year. We planned on hitting Universal when Potter first opened but the crowds looked crazy so we thought we'd let it die down first. Now that there's news of expansion (the news made it to Jersey but I don't think it's gotten over the Rockies yet) we figure we'll wait for that. Then I'm sure we'll find another reason to put it off. We're Potter fans but we are bigger Disney fans so it's always a compromise we don't want to make when we start seriously planning our trips.

everyone should go to Uni at least once, some of the rides are worth it, spiderman is awesome, The Mummy is really awesome, Rip Ride Rock it roller coaster is one of my favorite roller coasters, the Coasters at Universal are way better than at disney, much better.

It's strange to hear that the Potter ride still has an over two hour wait time! When I went during the holidays in 2010, the wait was never more than 20 to 30 minutes. I rode it four times in one day... the quickest time was right before closing time... we just zipped through the queue in less than 10 minutes.

Not being a Potter fan myself, I thought the detail they put in the queue was amazing. My wife (being the Potter fan of the house) LOVED it as much as the ride.

My only complaint with the the ride was the the film part of the ride, (with Harry on the broom stick) the projection of it, was way too dim... not as bright like it is shown in the TV commercials. I also had the same problem with the Simpson ride. The dim projection really detracted from my enjoyment of the ride.

everyone should go to Uni at least once, some of the rides are worth it, spiderman is awesome, The Mummy is really awesome, Rip Ride Rock it roller coaster is one of my favorite roller coasters, the Coasters at Universal are way better than at disney, much better.

My favorite attractions out of all parks altogether are:
1) Revenge of the Mummy
2) Spider-Man

I'm bummed about Jaws being gone. I hate seeing classic USF stuff go, slowly but surely.

Oiy vey..me and the wife are going next month...we are taking a half day to go to Potter and Uni to check it out (Never been, not all that interested) but I am hoping we dont hit the terrible wait times like you all have been seeing.

I'm not really a coaster guy, especially as I get older and fatter. :lol
I like to have too many Margaritas and get choked up when George Lucas shows up at the end of The American Adventure.

I think Universal has the rights to the marvel characters in the parks for some time to come.

I would love to ride the Maelstrom with Thor. :(

I would love to ride the Maelstrom with Thor. :(

Maybe he can use Mjolnir to give me a massage after Maelstrom's boats destroy my back.

And not that they can anyway, but I actually really don't want Marvel characters in the park. They just don't seem like they'd fit at all. DHS would be the only place, and even that seems like a stretch.

Universal has rights for Marvel characters in theme parks East of Mississippi. But it's fair game anywhere else. Rumors in Disneyland say that Imagineers wanted Tron to go into Tomorrowland there but since they considered it a "flop", now they want something Marvel instead. I prefer Tron in Tomorrowland and Marvel in California Adventure.

And speaking of Tron, last night was the final night of ElecTRONica. I'm sad because it was something I really enjoyed and added to the nights in California Adventure. Coming in the summer is the MAD T PARTY, a rave-like atmosphere loosely based on Alice in Wonderland. Not thinking that would be as "cool".

Universal has rights for Marvel characters in theme parks East of Mississippi. But it's fair game anywhere else. Rumors in Disneyland say that Imagineers wanted Tron to go into Tomorrowland there but since they considered it a "flop", now they want something Marvel instead. I prefer Tron in Tomorrowland and Marvel in California Adventure.

And speaking of Tron, last night was the final night of ElecTRONica. I'm sad because it was something I really enjoyed and added to the nights in California Adventure. Coming in the summer is the MAD T PARTY, a rave-like atmosphere loosely based on Alice in Wonderland. Not thinking that would be as "cool".

Darnit -- I completely forgot about it and I was just talking about it on Friday night...=( -- I can only hope that the Alice one would be at least otherwordly...

I agree about where Tron should go however, even if the movie flopped, the world they created was really awesome - not to mention ever since they removed the old TRON and the people mover - I've really missed it...

Darnit -- I completely forgot about it and I was just talking about it on Friday night...=( -- I can only hope that the Alice one would be at least otherwordly...

I agree about where Tron should go however, even if the movie flopped, the world they created was really awesome - not to mention ever since they removed the old TRON and the people mover - I've really missed it...

Absolutely. Current Corporate Disney only believes in Box Office success rather than great ideas. It's sad because this is a company that has many flops that are now considered masterpieces (pinocchio, fantasia, etc).

And Tron Legacy was a 20 year old sequel to another flop. For it to make $400 million worldwide is some sort of miracle.

This lame decision making is also why we have Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland. If Atlantis was a success in the theaters, we would have had a submarine voyage to the lost city of Atlantis... which would have been way more interesting than going underwater to watch CG cartoon fish.

I'm all for a TRON attraction in Tomorrowland; after all the People Mover had a TRON segment where you fought Master Control. Why not do an update? The gods know Tomorrowland needs a MASSIVE overhaul.

I cringe at the thought of any Marvel themed rides/shows going into ANY Disney park. It will be a sad day indeed when/if that happens.

With Avengers opening in May I hope Disney finally features some Marvel heroes in the park this summer.

Yea..i heard there is some timeline they have to wait before they can. I do know the monorail has Avengers painted all over it now though

This lame decision making is also why we have Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland. If Atlantis was a success in the theaters, we would have had a submarine voyage to the lost city of Atlantis... which would have been way more interesting than going underwater to watch CG cartoon fish.

It's amazing what a difference 10 or so extra minutes and a different environment makes. I love the Nemo attraction at Epcot, but the sub voyage is just bleh. I did it once, absolutely no desire to ever do it again.

And it's even more distressing, when you think of all the cooler stuff they could have done with the sub ride, which is an inherently awesome concept.

Marvel characters are no different than having Power Rangers in the theme parks. It sounds ridiculous but it really works in parks like Hollywood Studios. Supposedly the rights to the Lights Motor Action stunt show is ending in a year or so and the rumor is that it will be turned in to an Avengers/Marvel stunt show.

Marvel characters are no different than having Power Rangers in the theme parks. It sounds ridiculous but it really works in parks like Hollywood Studios. Supposedly the rights to the Lights Motor Action stunt show is ending in a year or so and the rumor is that it will be turned in to an Avengers/Marvel stunt show.

No. Disney has told Universal no new Marvel character appearances, rides or attractions. Characters that currently make the rounds legally may keep doing so, but they can't go make an film version Avengers attraction.

A good summary from shortly after Disney bought Marvel:
https://www.deadline.com/2009/09/universal-vs-disney-over-marvel-characters/

It's amazing what a difference 10 or so extra minutes and a different environment makes. I love the Nemo attraction at Epcot, but the sub voyage is just bleh. I did it once, absolutely no desire to ever do it again.

And it's even more distressing, when you think of all the cooler stuff they could have done with the sub ride, which is an inherently awesome concept.

Yah I agree. Epcot's version of the Nemo & Friends works in the comfortable "fantasyland dark ride" style ride. But it's uncomfortable in the submarine to watch cartoons. They gotta make it more interesting with cool things to see.

Nemo & Friends looks like it dwells too long on the Turtle Dude. My wife wants to take the kids to the Monster's Inc. comedy club which is the same sort of thing.

We have one of the nicest zoos in the US where I live (Omaha) so the various wildlife exhibits at WDW don't excite us.

Speaking of Avengers, one of the Monorail trains at WDW have been decked out in Avengers deco. If you haven't seen it here's a video link:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...onorail-zips-around-walt-disney-world-resort/

They did the same thing with TRON LEGACY when I was at WDW last. Unfortunately, I never timed it correctly to actually ride it.

Sorry to hear ElecTRONica is ending. I was hoping to catch it next year. Since they are probably going ahead with the sequel perhaps it might return someday.

Back