Any Vegetarians on This Board?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

One thing I don't understand is why do the bad things for us taste so extremely delicious, and why do the good things for us taste so bad sometimes.

Meat and Sugar and Dairy are meant to be bad for us, (humans shouldn't even be drinking milk to begin with) yet they are so extremely tasty.

onions and garlic are meant to be good for you, yet they are so awful, It's not like you could pick up an onion and bite it. A lot of stuff that is good for you ends up being pretty awful,

What's the deal? why do our taste buds crave the bad things and dislike the good things? is there a flaw in our design?

I love onions and garlic on my pizza, along with sausage and salami and pepperoni.

I love food. I love eating. I love the fact that I am free to choose from so many options. I am utterly unimpressed that meat makes me a killer. I do not see the moral depravity in that whatsoever. Necessity changes nothing. A million dead pacifists can be just as wrong as one.

I love food. I love eating. I love the fact that I am free to choose from so many options. I am utterly unimpressed that meat makes me a killer. I do not see the moral depravity in that whatsoever. Necessity changes nothing. A million dead pacifists can be just as wrong as one.
Necessity when it comes to violence changes everything.
Only an amoral or immoral, and definitely an outright evil person would believe different.
It's why killing people in self defense is justified, and killing people for pleasure is murder and can send you to prison or the death penalty.

Who gives a ****?

It is not necessity that determines the moral status of taking a life. You are not thinking that one through (assuming that you do in fact value human life).

One thing I don't understand is why do the bad things for us taste so extremely delicious, and why do the good things for us taste so bad sometimes.

Meat and Sugar and Dairy are meant to be bad for us, (humans shouldn't even be drinking milk to begin with) yet they are so extremely tasty.

onions and garlic are meant to be good for you, yet they are so awful, It's not like you could pick up an onion and bite it. A lot of stuff that is good for you ends up being pretty awful,

What's the deal? why do our taste buds crave the bad things and dislike the good things? is there a flaw in our design?

In the U.S., food places are set up for salty, sweet and fatty.
It's partially conditioned, because those tastes are less popular in other places inn the world. However, they are highly addictive, which is why they are used.
Sugar is a concentrated sweetener that if introduced today would likely be classified as a drug. It's a far cry from the sugar cane it comes from.

As far as garlic and onions, they are mainly for garnish or spice, and not the main dish. Things like corn off the cob taste great.
Human beings do tend to crave salty sweet and fat. It is in our design, because those things are important for our health in small quantities. Sodium is needed for the nervous system. Fat is needed for the brain and for energy and insulation and lubrication. Sugar is needed for energy especially for the brain.

When sugar is from a natural source, there are compounds in that substance that tell the body when it has enough, leading to a sick stomach feeling when too much is consumed.
When sugars are refined, all of those compounds are removed, so you can put tablespoon after tablespoon of sugar in something without it causing that sickly reaction. That is why people can consume so much refined sugar. The body can't tell that it has had enough, and often can't tell when it is present. It makes foods more addictive, too, leading to more sales.
There is refined sugar in many products that you would not expect to even contain sugar. Ketchup has a lot of sugar, but it is difficult to taste.

AS far as their being a flaw in our design, there is not, however, you are onto something when you say it has to do with a flaw and our design.
Food manufacturers exploit the design of our bodies and alter the ingredients of foods in order to make them more addictive to boost sales and possibly to deliberately worsen health in order to cause disease, leading to the sales of pharmaceutical drugs to manage those diseases.
It DOES work out that way, so it could be deliberate.

Sugar salt and fat are preferences hard wired into human physiology.

There is just enough which is essential to life, and then there is too much, which can cause disease.

Who gives a ****?

It is not necessity that determines the moral status of taking a life. You are not thinking that one through (assuming that you do in fact value human life).
Of course it does. It's why self defense is justified, and killing for pleasure is not.

Back