Hasbro appreciation thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I could only find a WIP photo - & the figure's in storage at the moment.

p21.JPG

Looks good, Vintij. And while I fully understand a-devs position, I , like you, think SG can actually look good if done right. But for the most part they're all garbage.

I have a few of those Palpys. One that's greyish, one that's more whitish and another that is regular skin tone so I might give this a go.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Ok, they have the new 6in Black Series then they had to complicate things and do a 3.75 line of that too. Soo what's the big difference between those and the VC aside from the packaging?

Ok, they have the new 6in Black Series then they had to complicate things and do a 3.75 line of that too. Soo what's the big difference between those and the VC aside from the packaging?

As far as difference between the 4" Black series & VC - they're the same style of figures basically; mostly super articulated with some new sculpts & some repacks.

Thanks for the props on the custom too. :)

Speaking of those new 5POA figures, there are some GREAT sculpts in that line, truly.

I've seriously been tempted on picking up core OT characters from that line. Not sure why. The packaging is fugly. But the figures look nice and durable. They're what PotF2 should have been I guess rather than the macho He-Man bodybuilder line they decided to give us. But there's no need since I have so much 3 3/4" stuff I want to get rid of so I'll save the money for other things.

Personally I like soft goods, when used correctly. The biggest issue is most of the cloaks and jackets are waaaay too large for the figures and just end up looking silly.

Soft goods I like:
3502tc8.jpg

Sorry about the poor image quality, I used my phone.

I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to call the both The Black Series. Just confuses matters.

Definitely. I never know when something is announced what they heck they're talking about.

And the packaging on the Black Series is absolutely friggin' AWFUL. Just the absolute worst, so unappealing on every level. Who the heck approved it?!?!?

Personally I like soft goods, when used correctly. The biggest issue is most of the cloaks and jackets are waaaay too large for the figures and just end up looking silly.

Soft goods I like:
3502tc8.jpg

Sorry about the poor image quality, I used my phone.

Those are OK, though I'm sure that Tusken needed work. But they over-reach elsewhere, trying to do things that just can't be done effectively at this scale, ruining countless figures and meaning that to this day I'm still using a figure from 1997 as my Emperor Palpatine. Man, almost 20 years old.

Definitely. I never know when something is announced what they heck they're talking about.

And the packaging on the Black Series is absolutely friggin' AWFUL. Just the absolute worst, so unappealing on every level. Who the heck approved it?!?!?

Agreed. I only have one figure from the series so far, Vizam. Packaging is shockingly uninspired.

I agree about the packaging looking dull and boring for the 3 3/4" figures. But I don't think it is the worst packaging. That honor goes to RotS. I hated the overly stylized art, I hated the color scheme, I hated the font, and I hated the shape of the bubble. Runner up for the worst packaging goes to the 30th Anniversary Collection. The white/gray didn't scream Star Wars to me and I hated the shape of the cards. My third least favorite would probably be this new Black Series. I don't mind it for the 6" figures though. It looks "classy" in a minimalist sort of way but it doesn't seem to fit the smaller scaled line. I stopped collecting right around the time the 30th Anniversary set came out. There might be uglier packaging I'm not aware of but from what I collected and have seen in stores, these are my picks.

Since I ranted about my least favorite packaging, I guess I'll rave about my favorites. Is there anyone who disagrees the vintage packaging is the best? The huge colorful movie still/promo shot on the card with the silver border on a black card is so classy. Those are figures that almost beg to be left in the package. Runner up goes to the Original Trilogy Collection. They had a vintage vibe with the black and silver color scheme. I liked that they had the name of which movie the character appears from, a small movie still/promo shot up front, and then an appropriate background that complements the figure. I collected that whole line and left them in their packaging. Truly an amazing collection considering so many were simple recards. My third favorite was the original cards for the PotF2 collection (1995-1996). It was a nice blend of modern stylized art that continues to plague SW packaging and the nice simplistic vintage figures with a photo of the character up front. I also have a soft spot for them as they were the ones I played with as a kid.

I agree about the packaging looking dull and boring for the 3 3/4" figures. But I don't think it is the worst packaging. That honor goes to RotS. I hated the overly stylized art, I hated the color scheme, I hated the font, and I hated the shape of the bubble. Runner up for the worst packaging goes to the 30th Anniversary Collection. The white/gray didn't scream Star Wars to me and I hated the shape of the cards. My third least favorite would probably be this new Black Series. I don't mind it for the 6" figures though. It looks "classy" in a minimalist sort of way but it doesn't seem to fit the smaller scaled line. I stopped collecting right around the time the 30th Anniversary set came out. There might be uglier packaging I'm not aware of but from what I collected and have seen in stores, these are my picks.

Since I ranted about my least favorite packaging, I guess I'll rave about my favorites. Is there anyone who disagrees the vintage packaging is the best? The huge colorful movie still/promo shot on the card with the silver border on a black card is so classy. Those are figures that almost beg to be left in the package. Runner up goes to the Original Trilogy Collection. They had a vintage vibe with the black and silver color scheme. I liked that they had the name of which movie the character appears from, a small movie still/promo shot up front, and then an appropriate background that complements the figure. I collected that whole line and left them in their packaging. Truly an amazing collection considering so many were simple recards. My third favorite was the original cards for the PotF2 collection (1995-1996). It was a nice blend of modern stylized art that continues to plague SW packaging and the nice simplistic vintage figures with a photo of the character up front. I also have a soft spot for them as they were the ones I played with as a kid.

I actually love the 30th Packaging, and it's my second favorite packaging. To me the ugliest is the Legacy collection, the blue and white never worked for me.

On a side note, a good friend of mine who is a die-hard star wars collector and looks up all the news on various websites says that Hasbro will bring back the Vintage collection when the new movies come out in a limited way. 5-7 figures a year he said. I'm trying to confirm this and find the article he read.

I love that Gammy. I have three. Its an excellent figure, and better than SSC 1/6 offering.
:exactly: Yep - absolutely, agreed.

It's an almost perfectly shrunken down analogue of the actor in the costume - UNLIKE the SSC figure, which (surprise surprise) is a wonky approximation of the character, like most of their 1/6 SW figures are. :lol :monkey4

Yep, those are great. I love that Gammy. I have three. Its an excellent figure, and better than SSC 1/6 offering.

the SS 1/6 offering of the guard was the reason I decided not to pick up Jabba the Hutt , sold my Bib Fortuna and crumb creature pack. The figure turned up wrong on so many levels

Nope. Because they think people have zero attention span. And maybe they're right.

And yep chaps that (modern) vintage Gamorrean guard is possibly the best Star Wars figure there is IMO. I still wish they'd put out a mouth open version. Wooof is cool too, one of the 80s figures I'd been wanting remade for years. He didn't disappoint when he happened.

I'm sure we will see the Vintage Collection back in some way or shape in the future.

So they're done with VTC? I don't really keep up with Hasbro as much as I used to. My favorites from that line was Gammy, Bom Vimdin, Walrusman and Admiral Ackbar. Loved him.

Rebel Trooper and Hoth Leia were nice too.

Last edited:
So they're done with VTC? I don't really keep up with Hasbro as much as I used to. My favorites from that line was Gammy, Bom Vimdin, Walrusman and Admiral Ackbar. Loved him.

Rebel Trooper and Hoth Leia were nice too.

I remember last spring, when Hasbro was announcing the Black Series, I was listening to Star Wars Action News podcast and they had an interview with a REP from Hasbro, in fact it might have been one of the big wigs. He said that Hasbro was taking a break from the VC for awhile. So while It sucks that they don't continue it, I'm sure we will see it be back, especially when the new films come out.

Gammy is a great figure, I need to get the Tuskan raider too. The Coolest vintage card I have is the Jar Jar in Carbonate.

Back