Hot Toys - MMS 87- Planet of the Apes General Ursus spec + hi res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, these really are amazing looking... the Ape lover in me will not be allowed to pass on these :rock

Sideshow looks like Hasbro compared to Hot Toys.

I'm not the biggest Sideshow fan, but credit where it's due.
If it weren't for Sideshow, where would we be?

Sideshow led the way for many years in figures from obscure subjects and all kinds of licenses. Without them this hobby would not be what it is. They have pushed the doors wide open for other companies and are helping them gain a wider audience in the U.S.
Or was it so easy to find Medicom and Hot Toys figures a few years ago?

This reminds me of the WWII collectors who now look down on DML. It is thanks to DML that there is a 1/6 WWII collector market. And don't even get e started on 21st Century Toys...
Or the people who blindly ^^^^^ at McFarlane, forgetting that they single-handedly invented the modern action-figure market.

Point is: be more respectful of the company that in many ways helped start it all.

Keep in mind Sideshow figures came out years ago and were a 3rd of the price.

Not really fair to compare these to Sideshow previous offerings.

Exactly! These look fantastic as does a lot of what HT puts out. If SS was to start charging $150+ for their figures I would venture to guess they'd be on par. SS Vader figure looks amazing because of the price and what that allowed SS to do.

And again you have to remember the time they came out... HT figures didn't look that good that came out around the same time. You can't compare apples and oranges.

But having said that, these are still a huge upgrade from the originals and I'll be happy to be adding them. I kind of hope they are released w/a bit of time between them. Getting hit w/all 3 at once would be pricey.

Wow theses look so cool. I'm getting them for sure. Is there any idea on when these will be going up for pre-order? Will SS be selling all of them or just the Ex?

I'm not the biggest Sideshow fan, but credit where it's due.
If it weren't for Sideshow, where would we be?

Sideshow led the way for many years in figures from obscure subjects and all kinds of licenses. Without them this hobby would not be what it is. They have pushed the doors wide open for other companies and are helping them gain a wider audience in the U.S.
Or was it so easy to find Medicom and Hot Toys figures a few years ago?

This reminds me of the WWII collectors who now look down on DML. It is thanks to DML that there is a 1/6 WWII collector market. And don't even get e started on 21st Century Toys...
Or the people who blindly ^^^^^ at McFarlane, forgetting that they single-handedly invented the modern action-figure market.

Point is: be more respectful of the company that in many ways helped start it all.

And at the time Hasbro was the only 1:6 Apes figures until Sideshow came along. Your point is?

Sideshow apes were great for their time. Hot Toys apes are great for their time. Apples and oranges.

You better pray Hot Toys gives you a Medieval Kurgan figure since your precious Sideshow didn't. :monkey1

Its like comparing sex when you were in high school and sex now.

When you were is high school you thought it was great, now you realized it kinda sucked and NOW sex it great.

I dont even want to think about what I might come up with in the next ten years. Likewise, its hard to imagine Hot Toys in ten years :google

These HT figures really are a different breed. The 1/6 hobby is continually evolving and HT builds on what has gone before. As Dusty mentioned - these figures wouldn't be possible from HT without SSC having laid the groundwork with the license.

So even though I'm not that big an Apes fan I'll be glad to add these to my collection even though they are bound to be in the $120-150 range.

It definitely looks amazing but I don't think I'll be collecting this line completely. I definitely want an astronaut Taylor, though. Perhaps a Zira and Cornelius but those three would be it.

For me, the Sideshow Apes line was a revelation. My Apes roots stretch back to the Mego days, and I even bought some of the Hasbro figures. When Sideshow started showing pics of their sculpts and costumes, I knew I was hooked. A few years later, a few advances in technology and a BIG price increase... and we get these beauties. Things change.

I've never bought anything from Hot Toys before because of my only marginal interest in their other licenses combined with the pricing. I've admired their work but these? These?

I'm very in for this line. And I'd like to recognize and tip my cap to Sideshow for the part they've played in making these figures happen. These are the apes I've always dreamed of owning, if I'd only known it!

Is there nothing Hot Toys can't do? Wow.

I don't suppose Buffy the Vampire Slayer is popular enough in Hong Kong for Hot Toys to pick up the license? Man what they could do for a Willow figure.

Back