RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I go to SDCC as press, I get a ton of links for various new shows and movies to watch and review, although that's not my thing. Maybe I'll incorporate that one of these days - no time now.

Anyway, most are pretty forgetable (I actually spent the 20 minutes watching a new 'monster hunter' show set in the bayou due this season...oh my god, it was bad), but I did watch the screener for a new horror movie called Mine Games, largely because it's directed and written by Richard Gray. Not heard of him? Not a big surprise. This was his first big film, although he had also done a romantic drama that came out of his Project Greenlight runner-up status. Mine Games was actually done in 2012, so I'm not sure what the delay has been, or why they are re-releasing it.

The only reason it's all worth mentioning is because he's the one doing the english version of Audition. I know a lot of us would like to see that movie handled well, so I thought it worth watching his earlier horror effort.

I'm not feeling warm fuzzies. Mine Games is an attempt at being somewhat unique, although much of it has been done before. It starts with the usual 7 dumbasses go out in the woods and people start dying, which is a formula I simply can't take seriously since Cabin in the Woods. He throws in a time loop to make things a bit more interesting (think Triangle), but muddies it all up with other red herrings like mental illness and physic visions. It ends up a pretty big mess by the end, like a bad M. Night movie.

What's weird is that this is a director with no real success yet - his Project Greenlight script is Summer Coda, that couldn't get to 60% on RT and has around a 5/10 rating on imdb.com, his second flick was Blinder that did a bit worse on imdb, and is at 0% on RT (with only 5 reviews), but yet managed to score another movie to be released this year with Gina Gershon and Justin Long called the Lookalike, has another in production with Momoa and Carey Elwes called Suger Mountain, and managed to score Audition. While the others aren't huge deals (hey, any movie is a huge deal for a director getting going, but you know what I mean), you'd think with the sort of reputation and following that Audition and Miike have, that someone with a bit better track record - particularly with horror - would have gotten the gig.

We'll see of course, but like I said, after watching Mine Games I'm not feeling better about this.

X-men First Class - 8,5/10

Too bad dumbasses at FOX felt the need to ruin this marvellous reboot...
So sleep well, cinematic X-franchise. See you when Marvel Studios would shine upon your unexplored potential.

First Class is a good movie, and probably the most fun of the X-Men films, but you do realize it has a ton of problems right?

X2 and DOFP are better made films, they might lack some of the style that FC had but they more than make up for that with character development, acting, and focus.

One of these days I would actually like for you to say what you hated about DOFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain America: Winter Soldier - 8.5/10 - it's been awhile since my last viewing but a brilliant comic film IMO. It is difficult to find something I didn't enjoy (story, action, characters, sound track etc. all great)

Pacific Rim - 9 out of frickin' 10!

I grew up watching Ultraman and Godzilla films, so I really appreciated Pacific Rim's homage to the giant monster genre. Lots of action with a simplistic plot that never got annoying, as the film was (thankfully) focused more on the giant robots and monsters.

Hahahaha

Nam is alright in my book, he sent me a pm a few days ago admitting defeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific Rim - 9 out of frickin' 10!

I grew up watching Ultraman and Godzilla films, so I really appreciated Pacific Rim's homage to the giant monster genre. Lots of action with a simplistic plot that never got annoying, as the film was (thankfully) focused more on the giant robots and monsters.

First viewing?!

DOTPOTA 10/10 My god, I thought it was impossible for a movie to dethrone TWS on my movie of the year list, but this was just brilliant.

So savage, primal yet, still philosophical and intelligent.

I on a movie hype only good movies give me, and I've experience it with 3 movies now this year, such a good year for movies.

Back