The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

Here Kit, use this to patrol the forums making sure peolpe don't start new threads on a MESSGAE BOARD!!! :rolleyes:

police.jpg

LOL best post in this thread maybe?

No problem. I wasn't trying to be a dick about and didn't attack the guy. I was just saying there is already a Blu-Ray vs HD DVD thread on the front page where pretty much all the updates have been posted so I didn't see the need for a new thread on the same topic. People "thread direct" around here all the time.

Wonderful news!!

What an awesome week this has been.

Gandalf 12"
Obi in armor
Indy 12"

and the death of HD DVD:rock :rock :rock

Wonderful news!!

What an awesome week this has been.

Gandalf 12"
Obi in armor
Indy 12"

and the death of HD DVD:rock :rock :rock

How can anyone be happy about the death of competition? :confused:

Remember the holidays and all those BOGO deals on Amazon? Kiss that goodbye. BR now has no need to lower the prices on their players or discs. How this is a good thing is beyond me. Competition is always a good thing.

How can anyone be happy about the death of competition? :confused:

Remember the holidays and all those BOGO deals on Amazon? Kiss that goodbye. BR now has no need to lower the prices on their players or discs. How this is a good thing is beyond me. Competition is always a good thing.

Well I for one am happy because now we can start getting all films on one format rather than having to go out and buy another player just to watch a movie in HD. Yes, it kills competition and sales (somewhat), but they'll still have to compete with DVD, and we'll still get sales from that.

Well I for one am happy because now we can start getting all films on one format rather than having to go out and buy another player just to watch a movie in HD. Yes, it kills competition and sales (somewhat), but they'll still have to compete with DVD, and we'll still get sales from that.

I agree. I also think the prices of the players are about a year away from coming down in price a good bit.

The competition will just move to the retailers now... :D

:lecture

Thats why I am happy the war is over. Sure sales were cool, but owning 2 machines to watch movies was total ****.

I just want to go to the store and know every new movie is available to me.

And again, BD is not just gonna stop and sit back, they still have DVD to compete with, which a much more formidable opponent than HD DVD was.

I don't see regular DVD as competition for Blu-Ray. HD is a fairly "nitch" crowd. There are many that could care less if BR is the same price as DVD they still won't switch from DVD. There are also many, many households that don't have HD TV's, much less 1080p TV's which bring out the real beauty in Blu-Ray.

Also, there are many people ( who I think are nuts :lol ) that say they don't see any real diff between BR and regular DVD. BR now stands alone for what, at the monet, is a nitch crowd. I think it will be several years, if ever, that BR becomes the "standard" and regular DVD is replaced.

I don't see regular DVD as competition for Blu-Ray. HD is a fairly "nitch" crowd. There are many that could care less if BR is the same price as DVD they still won't switch from DVD. There are also many, many households that don't have HD TV's, much less 1080p TV's which bring out the real beauty in Blu-Ray.

Also, there are many people ( who I think are nuts :lol ) that say they don't see any real diff between BR and regular DVD. BR now stands alone for what, at the monet, is a nitch crowd. I think it will be several years, if ever, that BR becomes the "standard" and regular DVD is replaced.

I hear ya and agree. All i'm trying to say is that we will still get sales, somehow. And as lonnie said, retailers will compete now.

I hear ya and agree. All i'm trying to say is that we will still get sales, somehow. And as lonnie said, retailers will compete now.

I hope so. I loved all the 2 for 1 deals and super sales. Not looking forward to $30 a movie if that's what it comes to. Gotta have some good sales! :D

Personally, I thouhgt this was a big enough topic to deserve its own thread. People may brush over the Blu-ray HD DVD thread, but a thread with this title would get people to look at it. That's what I though. Oh, there are so many crap threads out there these days, what does it really matter. IF the administrators don't like it, by all means, merge it.

Anywho, I don't think places like Warner will be bringing out the planned HD DVD's. Put it this way, after hearing this announcement, people will drop HD DVD and not buy any more movies. IF that number is big enough, Warner would risk maybe making MORE movies than there are people who use that format. Making movies for a "dead" format is far too risky. Could lose that precious dollar.

I'm also all about the sale! I just bought The Rock BD at Best Buy for $4.99!! (That's with my $10 reward zone certificate of course. The sale price this week is $14.99)

I'm wondering if the people that are sad HD-DVD is gone were said at the death of retail DivX as well :confused:

I am actually a bit surprised that they made this decision--the writing was certainly on the wall, but I expected them to drag this out into the end of this year or early 2009. Now the war is over with 10 months left until Christmas. The end of the confusion is going to help a lot of people get on board.

I am actually a bit surprised that they made this decision--the writing was certainly on the wall, but I expected them to drag this out into the end of this year or early 2009. Now the war is over with 10 months left until Christmas. The end of the confusion is going to help a lot of people get on board.

Sony probably thew a dump truck of money at them to end it sooner. :monkey3 :lol

Last edited:

MS already said that they would be putting out a Blu-Ray add-on pretty soon if it was annouced that Sony won. So yeah, expect a Christmas add-on. But it is really good that someone won sooner rather than later. This could have gone on for awhile. But I love all my HD-DVD movies and my HD-35A. All the movies look so good on it. Hell, I was already gonna get a PS3 so i could play MGS4, so....

And I love my HD-DVD toys, but this is a funny ass pic:

hd_270x231.jpg

Back