Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've wondered about that, I'm sure I've asked and someone may have answered but I've forgotten - would Zod really be dead? I mean I'm sure Superman wouldn't die from a broken neck, wouldn't he heal?

Yep, well it's a very well known kryptonian "trait" :lol he would enter kryptonian coma and heal, it would be really great if Luthor found him and kept him in a cryo tube or something, so he could return eventually if needed, also, we don't really see Faora die.

I mean, he could stay dead, but if they decided to bring him back, I think it's not a stretch at all.

Clark killed his dad in pretty much the same way Batman killed Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins.

Clark didn't create the conditions for his death like Batman did, so no, that is incorrect.

Regardless, I really hate that scene, not because of the tornado, but because there are a thousand things Clark could have done, it's just awfully executed.

Yeah that whole tornado scene was just sloppy writing. They had to kill off his father so he could experience a sense of personal loss like in the original Superman movie. Only there Johnathan Kent had a stroke something that even superman could not preven. Getting whisked away in a tornado is totally preventable. They could not shoot him like Spidey and Bats, but they could have come up with something way more believable. Imagine the conversation between him and bats,
Bats: So what kind of loss have you experienced?
Supes: my father died when I was 18.
Bats: What happened, he died when you were not around?
Supes: no I watched him get swept away by a tornado.
Bats: And you didn't do anything?
Supes: Well he didn't want me to.
Bats: Wait a minute, you can fly at almost the speed of ligh but you couldn't save your father?
Supes: He told me not to.
Bat: You can save a bus load of kids, but you couldn't save your father?
Supes: He told me not to!
Bats: My parents were shot in front of me when I was 10. I was powerless. But you could move mountains and run faster than a speeding bullet, and you let your
Father die.
Supes: He was afraid someone would see me.
Bats: During a tornado?
Supes: There were a lot of people there!
Bats: Wasn't it windy, couldn't you have just run over there and save him and claimed that the wind blew him away of something?
Supes: Well yeah, but that's not the point!
Bats: He did raise you right? Was he gay and trying to stick it to you at night was he?
Supes: No, he was my father! I loved him!
Bats: Obviously not enough to run into a tornado and save him. I mean you are superman right?
Supes: Yeah
Bats: And your symbol does mean hope doesn't it?
Bats: But I guess not if your standing near a tornado?
Supes: What! Ok that's enough! Let's drop it ok! My father was sucked up by a tornado. And there was nothing I could do about it!
Bats: Ok, ok. Did he die saving like a group of people or something?
Supes: (Sighs) no he was saving a dog.
Bats: Wait a minute! He died saving a dog?
Supes: Leave it alone please!

Yeah that whole tornado scene was just sloppy writing. They had to kill off his father so he could experience a sense of personal loss like in the original Superman movie. Only there Johnathan Kent had a stroke something that even superman could not preven. Getting whisked away in a tornado is totally preventable. They could not shoot him like Spidey and Bats, but they could have come up with something way more believable. Imagine the conversation between him and bats,
Bats: So what kind of loss have you experienced?
Supes: my father died when I was 18.
Bats: What happened, he died when you were not around?
Supes: no I watched him get swept away by a tornado.
Bats: And you didn't do anything?
Supes: Well he didn't want me to.
Bats: Wait a minute, you can fly at almost the speed of ligh but you couldn't save your father?
Supes: He told me not to.
Bat: You can save a bus load of kids, but you couldn't save your father?
Supes: He told me not to!
Bats: My parents were shot in front of me when I was 10. I was powerless. But you could move mountains and run faster than a speeding bullet, and you let your
Father die.
Supes: He was afraid someone would see me.
Bats: During a tornado?
Supes: There were a lot of people there!
Bats: Wasn't it windy, couldn't you have just run over there and save him and claimed that the wind blew him away of something?
Supes: Well yeah, but that's not the point!
Bats: He did raise you right? Was he gay and trying to stick it to you at night was he?
Supes: No, he was my father! I loved him!
Bats: Obviously not enough to run into a tornado and save him. I mean you are superman right?
Bats: And your symbol does mean hope doesn't it?
Bats: But I guess not if your standing near a tornado?
Supes: What! Ok that's enough! Let's drop it ok! My father was sucked up by a tornado. And there was nothing I could do about it!
Bats: Ok, ok. Did he die saving like a group of people or something?
Supes: (Sighs) no he was saving a dog.
Bats: Wait a minute! He died saving a dog?
Supes: Leave it alone please!

:rotfl :lol :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I’m not a fan of the movie, but I like to encourage the bashing of most films on here, but this actually made me laugh out loud.

No one stops to think that it seemed like he was a teenager/early twenties at that point and there was a possibility he hadn't harnessed all his powers? Like flight or speed.

Just saying. There is a possibility.

No one stops to think that it seemed like he was a teenager/early twenties at that point and there was a possibility he hadn't harnessed all his powers? Like flight or speed.

Possibility it was just a poorly written scene that should have never made it into the final cut... much higher.

Maybe, but he does say he let his father die, which means he knew he could’ve probably saved him, which is why is father didn’t want Clark to save him so he wouldn’t show off his powers if that makes any sense.

It's a good possibility, but at that age he could out run a train in the Donner movie, it's not a stretch that he could run way faster than any human at that age.

It's just a veeeery poor execution.

There is little I don't like in MoS, and that scene I hate, besides the fact that it didn't have to be that big, with the fights that follow later in the movie, they could have made Pa's death a lot simpler, smaller, more personal and impactful.

It's a good possibility, but at that age he could out run a train in the Donner movie, it's not a stretch that he could run way faster than any human at that age.

It's just a veeeery poor execution.

There is little I don't like in MoS, and that scene I hate, besides the fact that it didn't have to be that big, with the fights that follow later in the movie, they could have made Pa's death a lot simpler, smaller, more personal and impactful.

Exactly, it should have been more personal, theres a million variations they could have used.

I agree! Snyder and Goyer could have given him a better death than that. Even if Clark was away and his father hurt himself badly? Or just let him have a heart attack like in the original? But a tornado? Seems like a stretch for someone like Superman. And it could be said that his powers were not developed yet, but if he had heat vision when he needed it and x-ray vision and he was bending metal and moving buses full of kids, it's a hard stretch to believe he could not move faster than they eye could follow if he needed to.

Hell, even the fright or excitement of the tornado giving Pa Kent a heart attack would've been better :lol

Yeah, they could have even had him (Pa) going down halfway to Krypto, Clark says **** this, rescues Pa and the dog, with Pa subsequently passing away anyways, showing that even his powers couldnt save him (he hasnt learned to run around the world backwards yet :lol ) and then he does his globe trotting finding himself, coming to terms, etc...

Or maybe while he was running from the tornado, he could have gotten hit with something, like debris that takes a toll on him and eventually kills him.

Back