Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

October 29, 2007: Superman and Justice League Movie Updates
MovieWeb.com caught up with Kevin Spacey to ask him about the sequel to "Superman Returns".

Kevin Spacey: There are no developments right now. I know as much as the rest of the world knows.
So there are no plans to go into production?

Kevin Spacey: Not that I knows of. I'm signed to do it, but I don't know anything about the storyline or the shooting schedule at this point.

I've met Mike Dougherty about 5 or 6 times and he is a good friend of one of my good friends, but I like SR; even though there wasn't enough action. Anything with Supes, that isn't Superman IV, I love. If I hear anything I'll post it here, but Variety seems to have actually gotten it right.

12 March 2008Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel
Exclusive: Director confirms development
7972.jpg
point.gif

point.gif
Earlier today, IESB reported that there was a strong rumour that Bryan Singer was working on a sequel to Superman Returns and that Transformers' Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman would be writing the script. Well, we've spoken to Singer and, though we have no news on whether the Orci/Kurtzman story is true, he's confirmed that work's under way on the film that some said would never happen because the first was perceived as a flop.

"That movie made $400 million!" Singer says incredulously. "I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days...Look, I can understand, I suppose, what some people mean. Perhaps some people went in with the expectation of it being like an X-Men film, and Superman is a tougher character than that. Especially bringing him back. It really goes back to the fact that you can only please some of the people some of the time. But, yes, I’m just getting back with writers after the strike. We’re just in the development phase. I’m starting to develop a sequel...with the intention of directing it."

Singer knows that there was some negative reaction to the fact that the first film focused more on story at the expense of action and is looking to redress that next time.

“The first one was a romantic film and a nostalgic film,” he says. “I’ll be the first person to own up to that without making any apologies for it. I knew it was going to be that from the outset. And now that the characters are established, there’s really an opportunity to up the threat levels...Clearly there’ll be a body count [laughs]. From frame one, it will be unrelenting terror! All those teenage girls who found the movie and mooned over James Marsden or Brandon? Well, I’m going to wake them up!” He may be joking about the unrelenting terror.

We have to say, we actually enjoyed a huge amount about Superman Returns. Brandon Routh made a terrific Superman and Clark Kent and Singer clearly cared about the characters. It was light on action, so it would be great to see a sequel in which we get to actually experience what Supes can really do.

What do you think? Do you want to see Superman return again?

Do you want to see Superman return again?

Without a doubt. I'm dying to see Big Blue back on the Big Screen. I'm just hoping it won't take until 2015 to get it. While SR wasn't the blockbuster people were hoping I actually liked it (then again I liked Lee's Hulk as well)....I say Singer has seen the way people have perceived SR and I think it'd take a real narocistic bastard to ignore it and return to business as usual....he's not McG so I have little to no fear. I will admit though I'd love to see other directors take on the mantle as well....

I was hoping for a reboot too, or a Smallville continuation. But hopefully Brainiac and Zod kill the kid in the first frame and the movie follows from there...

Last edited:

I don't want to see a new Superman Movie, not by Singer, he ruined the last one. I been a big Superman Geek for a long time, and Superman Returns was aweful. So for now its just Smallville.

I was hoping for a reboot too. But hopefully Brainiac and Zod kill the kid in the first frame and the movie follows from there...

:lecture. I couldn't agree more. If it hadn't been for the superbrat and Lex's stupid land making plan I would've enjoyed the movie. The sequel can only be better right? :rolleyes:

I for one, enjoyed Superman Returns quite a lot. Sure it didn't have the action the X-Men movies had, but that's not what's interesting for the Character IMO. What's interesting for the character is how he interacts with "humans". Sure, he's an alien from another planet, but he was raised a human. Where you have this super-industrictible body, but the emotions and feelings of a human; that can create great stories. He can take over the world if he wants, but he doesn't because he wants to help earth; that's a character. I hope Singer doesn't forget that and just for mindless violence (even though that's awesome too; just not for a Superman film)

PLUS: anything with John Williams' score is awesome.

Me and Darth Caedus are probably the few people that loved Returns. I love everything about that movie. It was so much more of just an "x-men" movie...:monkey4. The cinematography of the airplane scene blew me away like nothing else. Watching that ++++ in Imax is AMAZING. not to mention the awesome score and underlying feel of the movie.

We need The Man of Steel ASAP!

I liked Routh's thoughtful Superman and even in a reboot I'd like to see him in the role. And personally I didn't have a problem with the more character based focus of SR.

But I hated that they maintained the Donner mythos instead of bringing it up to date as has been done about 3 times in the comics (since the '80s) and also on Smallville.

I for one, enjoyed Superman Returns quite a lot. Sure it didn't have the action the X-Men movies had, but that's not what's interesting for the Character IMO. What's interesting for the character is how he interacts with "humans". Sure, he's an alien from another planet, but he was raised a human. Where you have this super-industrictible body, but the emotions and feelings of a human; that can create great stories. He can take over the world if he wants, but he doesn't because he wants to help earth; that's a character. I hope Singer doesn't forget that and just for mindless violence (even though that's awesome too; just not for a Superman film)

PLUS: anything with John Williams' score is awesome.

Well said dude

I liked Routh's thoughtful Superman and even in a reboot I'd like to see him in the role. And personally I didn't have a problem with the more character based focus of SR.

But I hated that they maintained the Donner mythos instead of bringing it up to date as has been done about 3 times in the comics (since the '80s) and also on Smallville.

It's been so long since we've had a superman movie, he probably did that to snag the old timers in with some nostalgia.

I liked returns as well.(glad homage to Donner was in there)Just too slow on the action for me,(what action there was was cool)which don't look to be a problem in the sequel.Nothing will beat Superman the movie IMO but i can't wait for the next one!

I liked returns as well.(glad homage to Donner was in there)Just too slow on the action for me,(what action there was was cool)which don't look to be a problem in the sequel.Nothing will beat Superman the movie IMO but i can't wait for the next one!

I like it very much, but the pre-crisis Supes had a little too much power. Reversing time around and the amnesia kiss..................

Me and Darth Caedus are probably the few people that loved Returns. I love everything about that movie. It was so much more of just an "x-men" movie...:monkey4. The cinematography of the airplane scene blew me away like nothing else. Watching that ++++ in Imax is AMAZING. not to mention the awesome score and underlying feel of the movie.

We need The Man of Steel ASAP!

:clap:clap:clap

Agree with everything you said.

I don't want to see a new Superman Movie, not by Singer, he ruined the last one. I been a big Superman Geek for a long time, and Superman Returns was aweful. So for now its just Smallville.

This is kind of a strange statement as most die hard Superman fans have grown to absolutely hate Smallville as they have warped and bastardized the mythos completely in recent times. It started out great and kind of took its own feel on how it should be done in modern times....I have even grown a bit wary of how Smallville has taken a lot of liberties with heroes and origins, etc.

Although I will say Routh is definitely this generation's Superman, keep him in the role no matter what.

I guess I am also one of the few who loved Superman Returns. I thought it was a perfect way to bring Superman back onto the big screen instead of an action-packed, mindless movie. After reading the interview, it seems Singer got the message from the dissatisfied fans and he's obviously planning on making the sequel more action oriented. I do hope that the new villain will be someone not previously seen in the other four movies such as Brainac, Doomsday or Darkseid.

Edit: I hope no one will ever attempt to make Smallville into a big screen movie. That show ruined Superman.:monkey4:emperor

Hope they don't subsitute quality for action like X-Men 3 did...that was just an abomination...

Back