ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya gotta give em credit, they got bigger balls that FT!

Lol yes ballsy indeed. Looking it over more it still seems to scream classics style to me but still good stuff. What do they mean when they said in one of the pics" its all one complete bot,not a trailer add on"? Like there is no partsforming? Still trying to comprehend how everything transforms..

I dont see how they could keep it one continuous bot... the cab looks detachable. He's probably just referring to the "robot in a suit" aspect being done away with.

Wow...holy crap. TT better knock it out of the park. Because as far as I can tell...KFC totally did.

Your move TT.

I doubt Takara will be losing any sleep.

The bar for Masterpiece style Transformers has been raised so high in the last 18 months and KFC are somewhat short of the mark.

It's a nice Ultra Magnus, but the robot mode isn't close to being good enough to stand alongside the official Masterpieces.

KFC's dubious track record with plastic quality and sloppy paint apps on less complex figures can't be ignored either, who wants to pay 3rd party prices on something that might well be a QC nightmare?

The only thing it has going for it is the self contained design although that isn't anything new as the Titanium Ultra Magnus did that years ago.

The bar for Masterpiece style Transformers has been raised so high in the last 18 months and KFC are somewhat short of the mark.

It's a nice Ultra Magnus, but the robot mode isn't close to being good enough to stand alongside the official Masterpieces.

KFC's dubious track record with plastic quality and sloppy paint apps on less complex figures can't be ignored either, who wants to pay 3rd party prices on something that might well be a QC nightmare?

The only thing it has going for it is the self contained design although that isn't anything new as the Titanium Ultra Magnus did that years ago.

Ill admit, my post is filled with spite towards TT. I've been waiting for a MP UM for....well, a LOOOONG time. The recent MPs look great and all...but weve already recieved some of these characters in the form of binaltech/alternators. Yeah im aware that they arent true representations of the classic characters, but for all intents and purposes, we got them. And admitedly, every new MP reveal has left me disappointed (save for soundwave), all i wanted was UM. after so many years of cancelled, reshuffled, rebranding, redecos...where the hells big blue?? UM is on the top of my most wanted. over megs, over galvatron, over shockwave. So far they've only shown a silhouette of MP UM, and nothing more. Ill have to take your word about 3rd party efforts coming up a little shy compared to official TT products since I don't own any, but the fact of the matter is there is no MP UM to compare KFCs version. And at the moment, IMO, it looks damn good. In my eyes it fits in with MP10 just perfectly.

Anyhow, I am STILL waiting for TTs reveal. Whenever the hell that is.

image.jpg

That Magnus does have a Classics vibe more than an MP one in my opinion. Looks OK, but I'm not blown away by it. Weird doing the Prime death scene with a character who *sobs* died earlier in that movie.

Ill admit, my post is filled with spite towards TT. I've been waiting for a MP UM for....well, a LOOOONG time. The recent MPs look great and all...but weve already recieved some of these characters in the form of binaltech/alternators. Yeah im aware that they arent true representations of the classic characters, but for all intents and purposes, we got them. And admitedly, every new MP reveal has left me disappointed (save for soundwave), all i wanted was UM. after so many years of cancelled, reshuffled, rebranding, redecos...where the hells big blue?? UM is on the top of my most wanted. over megs, over galvatron, over shockwave. So far they've only shown a silhouette of MP UM, and nothing more. Ill have to take your word about 3rd party efforts coming up a little shy compared to official TT products since I don't own any, but the fact of the matter is there is no MP UM to compare KFCs version. And at the moment, IMO, it looks damn good. In my eyes it fits in with MP10 just perfectly.

Anyhow, I am STILL waiting for TTs reveal. Whenever the hell that is.

BT/Alternators had nice alt modes but the majority of the robot modes were terrible. They were barely acceptable a decade ago and look bloody awful now.

An official Ultra Magnus will be out in early 2015, it may not be fast enough for you, but I'm guessing that most MP collectors are happy enough with the present pace of releases.

Any faster and the risk of QC issues increases....would you genuinely want it to be released sooner if it meant the risk of it shipping with some kind of issue was higher?

BT/Alternators had nice alt modes but the majority of the robot modes were terrible. They were barely acceptable a decade ago and look bloody awful now.

An official Ultra Magnus will be out in early 2015, it may not be fast enough for you, but I'm guessing that most MP collectors are happy enough with the present pace of releases.

Any faster and the risk of QC issues increases....would you genuinely want it to be released sooner if it meant the risk of it shipping with some kind of issue was higher?

C'mon dude, really? Unacceptable then? Save for sideswipe (and to some degree, grimlock) everyone else had fantastic alt modes that retained their classic look...their essence if you will. I understand being happy with the current MP offerings, but lets be real and not toss binaltechs under the bus. You're gonna actually tell me, in all honesty, that when smokescreen with his amazingly detailed 1:24 scale WRX mode, amazingly detailed bot mode hit the streets, you looked at him and said "unacceptable"?? Not buying it.

And you are right, next year will still be too long of a wait. I, along with many Tf fans, have been waiting for an MP Magnus since this lines inception. Everyone else has been made in one form or another, give big blue a chance to shine.

As for QC issues, once again...really dude? MP09. MP10. Both werent rushed out to market and Both had QC issues no? Especially MP09. In fact, they had to re release the bastard, and he still had QC issues. I think they're unavoidable TBH.

There's no need to defend TT man. I'm happy the collecting community are finally getting proper toys of their childhood heroes. If you asked me, it about damn time. But let's not pretend that TT are flawless and doesn't make errors in judgement from time to time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I loved the Alternators/Binaltechs for the most part back in the day. I don't think they hold up so much in relation to Masterpiece figures, with some exceptions (Smokescreen/Bluestreak mold being one). But I felt the Hound, Smokescreen, Jazz (also Shockwave), Tracks, and Skids molds were all particularly good. There wasn't anything really better when they were out, beyond the handful of MP figures and repaints we got back then.

Yeah, I loved the Alternators/Binaltechs for the most part back in the day. I don't think they hold up so much in relation to Masterpiece figures, with some exceptions (Smokescreen/Bluestreak mold being one). But I felt the Hound, Smokescreen, Jazz (also Shockwave), Tracks, and Skids molds were all particularly good. There wasn't anything really better when they were out, beyond the handful of MP figures and repaints we got back then.

The ones you listed are my faves lol.

The current MPs are nice. I like them. They serve their purpose and that is to upgrade classic characters with today's advancements in toy development. That being said, in my eyes, binaltechs were the TRUE MPs. I'm gonna ruffle a few feathers by saying that. What i meant by being the true MPs is the technology and design that went into making them. The transformations were complex. The alt modes were amazing and can actually pass off as 1:24 scale model cars. The bot modes were updates or a re-imagining of classic characters whilst retaining their essence. Grimlock and shockwave don't count =p. you can say I'm blinded by nostalgia...but aren't MPs and binaltechs all about nostalgia??

IMO, the current MPs are awesome because we're finally getting what we saw on screen...But BTs, were the true MPs of the G1 era. And it's a damn shame it had to end.

They were the primary Transformers I collected at the time, and I think they were precursors to the current batch of MPs for sure. For me, I prefer cartoon accuracy first, which is why the MP line is for me. But I get where you are coming from, and in an ideal world, I think the Alt designs would have been what the Bay TF movies would have given us. Modern vehicles, complex transformations, but ultimately basic, and aesthetically pleasing looking robots. Not the jumbles of parts that we got instead.

C'mon dude, really? Unacceptable then? Save for sideswipe (and to some degree, grimlock) everyone else had fantastic alt modes that retained their classic look...their essence if you will. I understand being happy with the current MP offerings, but lets be real and not toss binaltechs under the bus. You're gonna actually tell me, in all honesty, that when smokescreen with his amazingly detailed 1:24 scale WRX mode, amazingly detailed bot mode hit the streets, you looked at him and said "unacceptable"?? Not buying it.

And you are right, next year will still be too long of a wait. I, along with many Tf fans, have been waiting for an MP Magnus since this lines inception. Everyone else has been made in one form or another, give big blue a chance to shine.

As for QC issues, once again...really dude? MP09. MP10. Both werent rushed out to market and Both had QC issues no? Especially MP09. In fact, they had to re release the bastard, and he still had QC issues. I think they're unavoidable TBH.

There's no need to defend TT man. I'm happy the collecting community are finally getting proper toys of their childhood heroes. If you asked me, it about damn time. But let's not pretend that TT are flawless and doesn't make errors in judgement from time to time.

When BT's originally came out I wasn't even collecting. I didn't start collecting Transformers again until 2007.

That being said I was never impressed with BT/Alternators, they were obviously improved from G1 in terms of their engineering but I didn't like how fiddly most of the transformations were, the robot modes were largely a mess of kibble and virtually all the alt modes had changed from G1 so there was no sense of nostalgia....I couldn't care less about Bluestreak as a Subaru Impreza or Wheeljack as a Ford Mustang.

Classics weren't perfect, but were a decent alternative for a while as whilst they shared some of the same issues, the robot modes were at least fun to mess with and the transformations weren't a hassle.

But once Takara had a rethink with the Masterpiece line and started increasing the range of characters then all the other official lines ceased to be of any relevance to me and even the majority of 3rd party figures weren't as appealing.

The only exceptions are,

Fans Toys
Quakewave reset the bar for build quality on high end Transformers and did it so well that even Takara products feel slightly lesser in quality.

They're also making at least 3 of the other Dinobots in Masterpiece scale and have the aesthetic down almost perfectly.

Cubex
Huff's design is up there with MP Laserbeak as one of the best transforming robot toys ever made. It's only let down by the paint issues that seem to have affected many of the production run.

MakeToys
I'm not a fan of most of their previous work but their IDW Swerve is a mini Masterpiece in it's own right.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'm defending Takara as if they're perfect.

I'm not. They've had their share of issues but compared to someone like KFC it's no contest as to who are more reliable.

Unless you have in hand experience with the differences in build quality between the lesser 3rd party companies ( which KFC are one of ) and those from Takara and Fans Toys then you can't really comment on the subject with any degree of accuracy.

KFC's Perceptor and variants are plagued with breaking tabs and sloppy paint apps and I've read a few similar things about their cassettes as well.

If they can't take QC seriously on smaller, less complex items like that, then it's reasonable to think that Ultra Magnus, no matter how nice the pics look could well turn out to be a POS.

Agreed. And to be quite honest it looks a bit off to me, too. Mainly the headsculpt.

Back